View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Streaks in Gel Coat Reply with quote

The accent stripes (dark green: on hull sides and around cabin top) on my CD have streaks and faded spots. I can't seem to get them out. It seems that they are not simply surface oxidation, but embedded in the fiberglass. Any suggestions? Any products to recommend? (THANKS!)
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon me if this sounds "off," but I'm still wondering if it might be oxidation. Here's why I say that: The first oxidized boat I went to buff out (back in the 1990's), I fired up a Home Depot type buffer, put on some heavy duty rubbing compound and went at it. No dice. The shiny, gleaming boat I had envisioned just wasn't happening, and I couldn't figure out why.

Then the guy whose boat shop I was parked at came by and asked how it was going, and I explained. He came back out with this huge/heavy/metal Milwaukee buffer, put some of the same rubbing compound on and went to town on it. Next thing you know that section of my boat was gleaming! So all I had to do was do that to the other 99.5% of it Laughing

The secret was in the buffer, and in buffing it a bit longer toward the "until dry" stage. But mostly the buffer. Thereafter (at least, when I could move my arms again), I would always rent the same type of buffer for a day or two when I wanted to buff a boat. Eventually, I bought my own Makita 9227, and that's what I use now (with good results). So, I was just wondering if it might be possible that your boat would buff out nicely with the right buffer/compound. How were you buffing and with what?

(Now of course it could be as you say, something besides oxidation -- and for all I know you are a professional and have buffed out 47 antique cars; but given my first experience I just thought I'd throw this out there.)

Edited to add: Oh, and if your spots are like little white dots or "milky way" rows of dots connected together, it may be that the original gelcoat was a bit too thin in certain areas (or had "pimples"), and has thus worn through to the white below. If so, then you'd have to re-gelcoat or paint to get color back.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may be faded or different composition gel coat. (The fiberglass layers are not colored--only the gel coat.). I was once told that some of the boats had defects when coming out of the mold, and that "new" gel coat was sprayed to cover this. I have found this in both the 25 and the Tom Cat 255 I owned. I have also seen instances where harsh solvents or acids have reacted with the gel coat and caused streaking.

I loaned one of my boats to a friend who had to go several hundred miles to tow his broken down trawler back 'home" the hull got a lot of tannin stains, so my friend sprayed the entire white part of the hull with muriatic acid--and got a bit on the colored gel coat. I was never able to buff this area out. If you wet sand, and then compound it, you may bring it back. I would just live with it.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I have not used a buffer yet (although I have one), only "elbow grease." The idea of using a wet sandpaper is also a good suggestion.
cbgale

City/Region: Calumet
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Raton
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem with the Burgundy gelcoat on the "eybrow" of our 2007 22CD. THere is an area that appears faded and slightly discolored. I have buffed it out, and it does improve quite a bit for a while, but eventually the 6" x 12" area reappears. I have also noticed that the gelcoat on the side accent stripes appears to have been applied very thin. The fenders have left minute scratches through to the white gelcoat underneath in a few spots, but not as a result of prolonged chafing. I have also noticed that where there are sharp angles such as the hard chine, there appears to have been slight shrinkage of the burgandy gelcoat that reveals the white below. It appears as a very fine line. Again, I think the burgandy may have been applied too thin. Nothing structural.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High speed buffer and a good pad. As the compound begins to dry out, put less pressure on it. It should come out shiny w/ no fading. Follow with a good quality wax. Hard work but worth it.

I get some of my stuff form a pro auto paint store, WESCO, but you can get 3M compounds on the web too.

Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Mr Clean pads, I was surprised how well they worked.

Bill Kelleher

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Streaks in Gel Coat Reply with quote

We have a Shurhold model 3100 Dual action buffer that has a serious Velcro mounting arrangement so pads for polishing and waxing can be changed easily with out having to use tools. I wet a Velcro Shurhold sponge rubber pad and dab it with Aqua Blue 200 polish. I don't let the polish dry while I'm working the buffer. I keep dabbing more polish as needed and keep the pad damp. I keep a wet terry cloth towel to wipe the area down to check for progress. After I think I have removed the oxidation I wash the area with soap and water and let dry then I use a good wax but apply lightly let haze the buff off with dry terry cloth towel. I usually do a couple coats of the wax as if the surface is clean the wax part is easy. Afterwards you can use a microfiber or a clean sponge rubber pad to buff it out. I would be careful with some rubbing compounds with a gorilla type buffer. The Shurhold's dual action is not prone to leaving swirl marks. It has adjustable speeds and is a quality tool. I learned about these products from others on this site. For me they have worked well.
D.D.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't use any "fast cut" stuff. I use a lighter 3M product (I'd have to go look at the bottle to get the name). Perfect for oxidation and fading etc. ANother option is the orbital buffers; Griot's Garage makes a good one I use on my old VW's. It is fool proof.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/griots+garage+random+orbital.do?sortby=ourPicks
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Yeah, I don't use any "fast cut" stuff. I use a lighter 3M product (I'd have to go look at the bottle to get the name). Perfect for oxidation and fading etc. ANother option is the orbital buffers; Griot's Garage makes a good one I use on my old VW's. It is fool proof.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/griots+garage+random+orbital.do?sortby=ourPicks

We have the Griots Garage random orbital and it works well.

The design keeps one from burning the gelcoat by having a mechanism which keeps one from being able to apply too much pressure. If one is trying to remove heavy oxidation (neglect), you might be better off with a traditional buffer for that step.
bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3M Finesse It, a buffing compound, has worked wonders for me.
3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a milder compound and is good too.
You can use them by hand if your joints are up to it or with a power buffer.
They are available at auto stores and auto paint shops.

Carpy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: