The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Class V ball mount...bigger isn't always better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Class V ball mount...bigger isn't always better. Reply with quote

Just spent half a day dealing with something that should have been a 5 minute job...maybe this little tale will save somebody grief one day.

I needed to pick up a new ball mount - I've been swapping a 2" and 2-5/16" ball back and forth on my mount a little too often. That, and my boat really needed another 1" or so of drop.

So, I find a nifty place online with good prices, and notice that a beefy, forged Class V ball mount and ball can be had for only about $15 more than the Class IV mount/ball. Either would work for the CD22, but the added capacity of the Class V might come in handy some day (Tomcat...drool.)

So, I order stuff up. Everything arrives, and the mount/ball are seriously beefy - the ball mount is one solid piece of 2" stock. I go to slide it in my receiver, and it won't quite go in far enough to to allow the hitch pin to slide through, even though there's plenty of depth in the receiver. I compared it to my other ball mount, and notice it was designed to go a few more inches into the reciever. Thinking that there's probably 8+ years of gunk built up in the back part of the receiver, I proceed to squirt solvents in there, hit the inside with a file, and wash out a bunch of dirt and rust.

Then when everything was clean, I lubed up the ball mount with some grease, and tried again - giving the mount a nice shove. It went in farther, but not far enough - and stuck in there like nobody's business. I beat on that sucker for an hour trying to loosen it. Finally, I took the ball off, put on a clevis from my winch kit, and strapped the beast to a beefy oak tree. After slowly taking up the slack, it took some serious power to get that sucker to pop - it was in there hard! I'm just really glad I don't have one of them Dodges...it would still be in there.

At this point, I accept that something isn't quite right, and do a little research. Turns out this is a well known issue amongst many RV'ers...these solid Class V ball mounts have a coating on them that significantly increases the dimensions from 2". It's not a powder coat or paint - it's more like a vinyl coating. Some receivers have enough slop in them to accept the larger size, but most don't.

After about 20 minutes on the grinder and wire wheel, the thing fit fine. The added capacity might come in handy some day, but had I know what a major PITA it was, I'd have stuck with a hollow Class IV ball mount...

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm just really glad I don't have one of them Dodges...

However...if you did, you would not have had to go through all that. The husky bugger fit right in to my receiver. Them Dodges are built for the big stuff, you see. Nothing but heavy duty.

The solid bar on my Class V didn't have any coating other than paint on it. Must be a California thing.

gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had that kind of trouble I would look closely at the weight limit of the hitch. I had no problem putting my class V reciever on my truck. Of course I also have a class V hitch on the truck too.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
It is good to know these things. Too bad you had to go to so much trouble.

I learned the hard way that on my Johnson 90 the plastic water intake filers on the lower unit are held to the motor by screws that hold the two side together. How did I learn this? I got a clog from the insidiuos weeds in the delta. I wanted to remove the plastic filter to check for weed. I removed the screw from one side and it would not come off ( this would have been a clue to most people). I turned the motor to have better acces to the other side and removed that screw. Then I heard a plop, looked on the other side a saw the plastic filter sinking away in the current.

It has taken 2 weeks to get the replacement.

Steve
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gljjr wrote:
I had no problem putting my class V reciever on my truck. Of course I also have a class V hitch on the truck too.

I've got a Class IV hitch, but before buying the Class V ball mount, I checked with the hitch and ball mount manufacturers (Draw-Tite and Curt.) Both said "no problem" using a Class V ball mount on a Class IV hitch, a long as it was 2" - just to be aware that the limiting factor was the lower Class IV rating of my hitch.

And in fact, that's the only way I could see to use the Class IV hitch near it's upper capacity, not that I ever will. I couldn't find a Class IV ball mount rated higher than 10K - my hitch is stamped 12K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: