View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Start seeing C-dory's Reply with quote

When I bought Minnie Swann 12 years ago I needed a loan and had a terrible time convincing the bank that C-dorys existed and that they were worth big money. Now I'm selling her and my potential buyers are experiencing the same delema. We could use some help from the factoryand our owners group in educating the used boat forums, various "blue book" editors, and other secondary market "Experts" as to the actual value of these fine boats. I listed my boat on Craigslist and then tried to do a search to find it and discovered that C-dory or any variation of it did not bring up my ad. This is disturbing to me in that I don't expect someone who is looking for a boat to buy Minnie, I expect only someone who must have C-dory to answer my ad. We all will eventually be sellers so let's get these boats noticed in the mainstream! (pun intended)

It's something in the water!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refer the buyers to this forum, and the ads for the boats here, which is where most of them sell. NADA and BUC will never change, because there is not enough of the C Dory's sold on the open market, or thru brokers, which is where they get their information.

There is also a section where the boats are put after they are sold, and indicates the selling price.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as valuations go, some lenders are more informed than others. It depends on where they are located and what types of boats they generally deal with. When I bought my CD22 one lender (on the east coast) gave a value of the boat of about $11K which was way below what the guy wanted for the boat (primarily based on the boats age). A lender in the PNW had no problem with a loan for the amount the guy was selling the boat for. I guess the lenders in the PNW may actually know what a C-Dory boat is.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought. When you want to sell your C-Dory, get a surveyor in to check her over. You can talk to the surveyor at that time. If he/she is not familiar with our brand of boat, you can bring them up to speed. Show them what C-Dory's are asking and what they are selling for. If the surveyor understands that your 15 year old boat is worth more than 10k, now you have something to show the buyer, and they in turn can show their lender.
If you have a rookie buyer who has no idea of what a C-Dory is worth and offers you no more than 10k (or what ever), thank them for their time, direct them to this site, and move on.
Before hiring a surveyor, I would ask the surveyor, are you familiar with C-Dory's and their second hand value?

Martin.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Start seeing C-dory's Reply with quote

Fairbro wrote:
I listed my boat on Craigslist and then tried to do a search to find it and discovered that C-dory or any variation of it did not bring up my ad.

Is your boat listed on Craigslist now? I just did a Google search for "C-Dory" on Craigslist and the first page of hits (41 hits) were all C-Dory boats for sale in various places in the USA (I did not notice one in Wisconsin, but not sure which CL you listed it on). If I limited my search to "past month" it was around a dozen C-dorys.

That said, when I was looking this site was my number one spot to search. But I did also check Craigslist nationwide.

Sunbeam

PS: Just wanted to add that I have seen odd glitches on Craigslist. A friend of mine listed a camper van (so I knew it was there), but I could NEVER make it show up in a search. I could find it by going to that specific CL and just going to the RV section and looking on that day, but not with a search. I think that's a glitch and not the norm though (and no idea why).
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying to help Sunbeam. Ifinally discovered that I can bring it up with the single search word "dory" (too much screwing around for most buyers I think) but everything else failed. I tried all combinations, with and without hyphens, and with various capital letters prior to that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: