The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Finally Bought My C Dory
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Finally Bought My C Dory Reply with quote

Hello All,

I joined this site a while back when I was interested in a C Dory and was inquiring on their rough water capabilities. I am an avid ocean fisherman and went back and forth for a while in between a Deep V hull style and the C Dory. Almost too many opinions out there on that topic. In the end I just couldn't find anything that offered everything I wanted except the C Dory. Enclosed comfortable cabin with heat and I really like the design and how economical they are to run amongst many other things.

I bought my 2003 22' C dory Cruiser with twin Yamaha 40's yesterday and I'm excited. It was a one owner boat and came from the factory with Furuno Radar/gps/sonar. Raymarine auto pilot, and VHF Radio all installed. Everything installed from factory and never any other modifications. I am in the California Bay Area and would like to meet some other members here and I'm interested in the meetups that happen on this site. This site is a great resource and I'm looking forward to gathering information from others experiences with their boat as well as telling about mine.

I hope I run across other fisherman on this site that have outfitted their boats. My first modifications will be to add 4 Downriggers, rocket launcher holders, and a portable bbq. I feel like I"m in the right place to get ideas and share my future experiences.

My first problem is finding a good dory name that isn't taken!

Thank you
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the fold! There are thousands of pictures in albums and lots of info about rigging boats. We're on our fourth or fifth CDory, see my profile. As for meeting others, check out the calendar and event sigh ups buttons at the top of all of the pages. Ask the moderators for a photo album and let's see that "new" boat!

As for names, check Our C-Dorys button at the top, you can sort it by boat name! Pick one, we share nicely!

Charlie Cigar

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
rainger

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey welcome. I bought my DORY just about a month ago. Nothing but totally satisfied and happy. I know you will be too.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the cult! We're a benign group of crazy people, but we have a lot of fun with our C Dories.
CDory23

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all. I will post pictures soon.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally Bought My C Dory Reply with quote

CDory23 wrote:
Hello All,

I joined this site a while back when I was interested in a C Dory and was inquiring on their rough water capabilities. I am an avid ocean fisherman and went back and forth for a while in between a Deep V hull style and the C Dory. Almost too many opinions out there on that topic. In the end I just couldn't find anything that offered everything I wanted except the C Dory. Enclosed comfortable cabin with heat and I really like the design and how economical they are to run amongst many other things.

I bought my 2003 22' C dory Cruiser with twin Yamaha 40's yesterday and I'm excited. It was a one owner boat and came from the factory with Furuno Radar/gps/sonar. Raymarine auto pilot, and VHF Radio all installed. Everything installed from factory and never any other modifications. I am in the California Bay Area and would like to meet some other members here and I'm interested in the meetups that happen on this site. This site is a great resource and I'm looking forward to gathering information from others experiences with their boat as well as telling about mine.

I hope I run across other fisherman on this site that have outfitted their boats. My first modifications will be to add 4 Downriggers, rocket launcher holders, and a portable bbq. I feel like I"m in the right place to get ideas and share my future experiences.

My first problem is finding a good dory name that isn't taken!

Thank you

Congrats. I had a 22 for many years and fished salmon out of it during that time. i now have a Tomcat. Four downriggers on a 22'CD with twins might be a bit difficult. I'd suggest you start with two. I assume your plan would be to have two on the corners facing straight back and two forward - each facing out. One can make that work by running the gear and different depths and through judicious timing of which downrigger goes down first. However, there's limited space in the cockpit of a 22CD and I think it would be difficult to get full use from 4 downriggers. IMHO, the boat fishes best with 3 people - one to drive, one on a rod and one with the net. With a double, the driver can take it out of gear and come back to net.

CDory23

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Yes that would be the way I would set it up-2 off the sides and 2 straight back on corners. I figured rigs with long booms going off the sides would fix any tangle issues. I agree space wise the boat fishes best with three. I also do quite a bit of Landlocked Salmon fishing, Kokanee, trout etc... and 4 downriggers come in handy at the lakes since each person can use two poles in that situation. Financially I will be starting with two anyway. Then hopefully I can figure out a way to run 4 problem free. I do a lot of crabbing too so I'm looking at the Scotty rigs because they have a line hauler that fits directly on the downrigger mount.

A little early and maybe not the right place, but with 4 rigs in a dual battery setup any opinions on if you should run all 4 off the house battery or break it up for a more even load. I know normally you don't want anything except perhaps a bilge on the starting battery but In this case I wouldn't be worried about drawing the batteries because at least one motor is constantly running on the troll. FYI my method of connecting power would be direct connection to battery with in line fuse and disconnect.

Sorry if I should of started a thread in a more appropriate place this just seemed to pop up.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any place you wanna put it is fine! We're mostly a respectful bunch but always nice or Bill or Mike, the Moderators will take away our birthdays! Mr. Green

That having been said, I'm not a fisher person and won't be until they teach cows to swim! Exclamation

Pick a name yet? There's a special ceremony for that!

Charlie
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and enjoy your boat.

I have 2 down riggers on my 22 angler. Its plenty and you still need to be on task when you hookup. I cannot image how that would work with 4 down riggers and a smaller deck and probably 4 or 5 fishermen.

I was introduced to mooching this year. I love it and down riggers saw less use. You could mooch 4 if all know how to stay untangled.

My house battery has the down riggers on it. A couple of weeks ago I left my rig off the charger and when I went boating next time my house battery was dead.
Bummer no electronics and no down riggers. We went out any way and it was old school. Mooching was fun and fortunately sunny. When I got home I charged the battery and it held so maybe I had left something on. But it was a bummer to not have down riggers.

Good luck and as suggested I would start with two and see how it works. My down riggers are on the gunnel ahead of the fuel fills by a couple of inches.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDory23 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes that would be the way I would set it up-2 off the sides and 2 straight back on corners. I figured rigs with long booms going off the sides would fix any tangle issues. I agree space wise the boat fishes best with three. I also do quite a bit of Landlocked Salmon fishing, Kokanee, trout etc... and 4 downriggers come in handy at the lakes since each person can use two poles in that situation. Financially I will be starting with two anyway. Then hopefully I can figure out a way to run 4 problem free. I do a lot of crabbing too so I'm looking at the Scotty rigs because they have a line hauler that fits directly on the downrigger mount.

A little early and maybe not the right place, but with 4 rigs in a dual battery setup any opinions on if you should run all 4 off the house battery or break it up for a more even load. I know normally you don't want anything except perhaps a bilge on the starting battery but In this case I wouldn't be worried about drawing the batteries because at least one motor is constantly running on the troll. FYI my method of connecting power would be direct connection to battery with in line fuse and disconnect.

Sorry if I should of started a thread in a more appropriate place this just seemed to pop up.

I'd probably run them all off the house battery. The only issue I could see with that is if you try to bring them all up at once. Even then the current draw on a Scotty is 4-8A depending on the weight you're running. So even four at once would be a 16-32A draw (all through separate wiring) which a battery can supply w/o much issue. With twins, I'm worried that it won't be easy to operate the downriggers that are straight off the back corners. The booms will be fairly close to the engine cowling and I'm having a hard time picturing how you'll get to the releases at that angle. I assume, you rotate them to the 90 degree position to get at the release clips and to hook in your line and then rotate them back to the rearward position to deploy. It's also a little difficult to reach the downriggers if you install them all the way aft. This image shows where I had mine installed (a fairly common location on 22's).

I then used the aft corners to install downrigger ball holders. This worked fine with the long booms fully contracted - e.g. the end of the booms (about 30" when not extended) wound up over the ball holders.

CDory23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. I have done quite a few mods/upgrades on my C dory since I started this post and was wondering who to contact to set up a photo album for me on this site. BTW. I ended up going with 2 scotty Downriggers. After a closer look I agree with everyone that suggested the sticking to 2 as 4 rigs would be very cramped IMO.

Thanks
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin Yami 40s, ya gotta love them. As for boat name, BUMSQUEAKER is still free, my missus said no Laughing

Martin.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your messages.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CDory23,

Not a fisherman here, but I do have twin 40 Yami's and love the twins. Tons of good reasons. The "meet-ups" or gatherings are typically called CBGT's here, for C-Brat Get Together's. A great time, with good fun and info shared all around.

As to the boat name, most people like to have an individual one but there are plenty of names that are shared. You can look through the C-Dory names on this site, (as suggested earlier) or another good place is on BoatUS web site. They have several thousand names listed there.

One hint I wish I had had prior to mounting the name on my boat was that if you place it forward of the nav lights, you are less likely to get a foot into it when you are going forward on the combing (side deck) when walking that narrow passage.

Enjoy the boat, and hope to see you at a CBGT sometime.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you joined the C-Dory family AND the C-Brats.

Just out of curosity, did you get a C-Dory 22 or Venture 23? Sounds like a 22, but both are great. And one more question, while I'm about it: what bay, San Diego, Monterey or Tomales?

Hope to see you out and about.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: