HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fun week o fishing @ Nootka Sound
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Fun week o fishing @ Nootka Sound Reply with quote

We just got back from a great week of fishing at spectacular Nootka Sound on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. The cabin at Critter Cove was offered by Rob (username Neblig) back in December and Rick (C-Dawg) and I decided we would like to take this opportunity to fish on the beautiful waters of Nootka Sound. Along with my childhood buddy Len, we arrived in Nootka after a long ferry crossing and drive from Port Angeles to Victoria through Campbell River to Gold River on Monday. On Tuesday we launched at the boat ramp in the inlet outside GR. After a 45 minute boat ride, we noticed a big pack of fishing boats fishing a point. We found out later that was called Camel Rock. We decided to fish since we were 3 hours ahead of check-in at Critter Cove.

Lucky we made that decision. In 2 1/2 hours we caught 4 nice Chinook Salmon, called Springs in Canada. My first fish was a fat 23 lber!

We checked into our cabin that afternoon and kicked back, enjoying the sunshine and spectacular scenery. Here's a pic of El Capitan, Rick (C-Dawg) admiring his fishing machine.

To summarize the rest of the trip, we thought we might limit out on our 2nd day based on how we did the first (total of 4 Springs each + 4 Coho if we found them). Little did we know how the weather affected the bite. We decided to go "Outside" (the ocean) to try for some halibut but no luck. We went back "Inside" for more salmon but no luck either. I had the great misfortune of not netting the only fish we caught that day (Rick's fish). Oops, sorry about that Rick. Embarassed The weather turned progressively wetter and wetter and the bite really turned off. On Thursday, we stayed inside and found the hot bite again, this time catching 5 beautiful fish. I caught a 21# and 17#, my buddy Len caught a nice 17# and Rick caught 2 fish, 13# and 10#. Every fish I caught was big and Rick commented that wasn't it always the case that the captain and most experienced fisherman caught the smallest fish? To summarize the rest of the trip, we thought we might limit out on our 2nd day based on how we did the first (total of 4 Springs each + 4 Coho if we found them). Little did we know how the weather affected the bite. We decided to go "Outside" (the ocean) to try for some halibut but no luck. We went back "Inside" for more salmon but no luck either. I had the great fortune of not netting the only fish we caught that day (Rick's fish). Oops, sorry about that Rick. Embarassed The weather turned progressively wetter and wetter and the bite really turned off. On Thursday, it was another high front and a nice partly sunny day so we stayed inside and found the hot bite again, this time catching 5 beautiful fish. I caught a 21# and 17#, my buddy Len caught a nice 17# and Rick caught 2 fish, 13# and 10#. Every fish I caught was big and Rick commented that wasn't it always the case that the captain and most experience fisherman caught the smallest?

Of course the next day was a low front and pretty cool and misty and of course no fish, not even one bite. Finally on our last day, we started out early Saturday morning under blue skies needing 3 fish to reach our limit. As Rick stated, the fish gods granted us our wish of getting us on the fish as we found a good bite along "The Wall", just in front of Critter Cove. It was up to us to net the fish. Unfortunately Rick was the first to lose his fish, it came unbuttoned before he could get it to the boat. Next was my turn. The pattern continued as I got into a very nice fish, it felt to be in the 20's. It ran and fought like crazy and suddenly it came unbuttoned as well, I don't know how as I felt I had good pressure on it the whole time. Sad Leave it to the newbie Len to land the last fish, a nice 17# spring. Oh well, 1 for 3 on the last day will do.

All in all, we had a great week at Nootka. Thanks Rob for giving us the opportunity to fish in such a spectacular, pristine setting. And thanks Rick for the use of your great fishing machine, C-Dawg and for your fishing expertise. Can't wait until next time!

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow great trip and some really nice fish.
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom.

Oh, I forgot to mention that we also saw two C-Dorys at Nootka during the week. They both monitor the site. The first was a boat called C-Dawn out of Courtney, BC. Real nice folks. They monitor the site but don't post.

The second boat was Amy Jo. The C-Brat goes by Ckpony on the site. Both couples have visited Critter Cove for several years now.

So if you guys see this post, it was nice meeting you.

Peter & Rick
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter and Rick - looks like some good fishing and good fun. I guess this was a "boys trip" as I don't see Caryn or Shirley there.
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fishing trip.
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Peter and Rick - looks like some good fishing and good fun. I guess this was a "boys trip" as I don't see Caryn or Shirley there.

Yeah Roger, a boys trip this time. Now that we know the lay of the land, we're anxious to take the wives. Maybe next year. Thumbs Up
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great time with you and Len, Peter. You both brought some good fish catching mojo with you on the trip, and you're both great deck hands. Of course I can't discount the added benefit of having Scotty downriggers on board. Cool

I felt we did okay given we were learning a new fishery. A particular challenge was not having detailed bottom contour information in the beginning. I discovered after launching that my C-MAP charts in my chartplotter doesn't give detailed information up the sound. Luckily Peter discovered the Navionics app on his cell phone worked wonderfully, so it served as our view of bottom structure.

Shirley hates trolling for salmon (too boring), so she'd never be interested in going on a trip like that. But I'd like to make it up there again next year.

C-Dawg sold November 2018
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you guys had an awesome time! Love the pics and report. I do miss going to Nootka Sound and Critter Cove as I first went in 2007 and had some crazy good fishing up there and some slow times, too.
You guys did great for the first of many trips to the friendly folks of Critter Cove.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concurrent to your trip, I was up at Winter Harbor. We did real well with anchovies in UV helmets trolled along the kelp. One evening (2 hr) Ken on Red Snapper and I boated 8 kings between 20# and 24#. Peter did you run any helmets at all?

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromer wrote:
Concurrent to your trip, I was up at Winter Harbor. We did real well with anchovies in UV helmets trolled along the kelp. One evening (2 hr) Ken on Red Snapper and I boated 8 kings between 20# and 24#. Peter did you run any helmets at all?

Yeah Dwight, anchovy in a helmet was the ticket. We caught most of our fish with that combo. I don't see any reason why anchovies won't work in the sound and down in Westport. I can't wait to try it out.

It sounds like you guys had a great trip as well!

Thanks for the kind words Larry. And Patrick and any other fishing brats, you guys need to think about coming back up to Nootka. We could have a mini-CBGT up at Critter Cove!
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice report on the trip looks really nice up there! a group trip would be a lot of fun and we would be interested in that. thanks for sharing the pics.
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Jake. Yeah a mini-gathering of C-Brats at Critter Cove sounds fun.

And thanks so much for allowing us to store Rick truck at your place. And especially for those yummy jerky sticks you gave us. Thumbs Up

Peter
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my favorite place to fish. Glad you had fun Peter (and caught fish).

I will be up there in a few weeks for the annual trip with my dad and brother.

Cheers!

Stefan
Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.....
ddenver

City/Region: Quilcene
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Renity
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write-up and pictures Peter (even for us non-fishermen). Enjoyed reading it.

Our neighbors, Frank and Angie McCubbins, have been going up to Critter Cover forever. As a matter of fact they were just up there again this year a few weeks ago. They love the place and the folks that run it.

We got some salmon from them when they returned.

Take care,
Dan, Tanya, and Hannah on C-Renity
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: