View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferret30

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lily Pad
Photos: Lily Pad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: boat storage for next 2 months? Reply with quote

We're hoping to bring our C-Dory down from Bellingham this weekend to Seattle and find some boat/trailer storage, but I'm not having any luck finding space. We want to find storage, get it detailed, and then sell it locally instead of showing it up north.

Any tips for places that still have space? Or is it worth it to take it to a broker and lose a chunk of the sale price for the convenience?

I'd appreciate any advice!
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good reputable broker can usually earn their fee and get you more money than you can get on your own. Trick is finding one who will "actively" work on selling your boat. A broker can help make sure that you aren't flim flammed by a buyer and sorts the tire kickers out so you don't have to. The broker can keep your boat ready to show. So, it you don't necessarily give up money selling through a good broker. I'm not one, but I'm sure some on this site should be able to point one out to you.

Just a thought. There are hard working and honest people in the business.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no better place to sell a C Dory than on this sight. I have bought and sold all of the C Dory's thru C Brats. True there are a few good brokers, but I emphasize few--and no one knows C Dory's better than C Brats.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try Matt Guernsey at Kitsap Marine in Port Orchard. Matt was a long time C-Dory dealer and had/has a very good reputation.
ferret30

Vessel Name: Lily Pad
Photos: Lily Pad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I would consider brokerage if it saves a lot of hassle (i.e. detailing, sea trials, safe exchange, etc.). Also, I can't seem to find boat+trailer storage near Seattle which is kind of frustrating -- it was available 2 weeks ago at a couple places in our neighborhood!

If I do it myself, I need to find a place where I can get access on weekends to show it, and let a boat detailer go at it for a day or two. Thanks again for the advice!
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that you need (or maybe even want) advice on selling your boat, but here is my thought, speaking as if I were a potential buyer (and what I looked for when I was).

1) There is an active market of people looking for C-Dorys, and they often sell quickly (so it is possible).
2) It's reasonably easy to sell to someone long-distance, due to the trailerability -- not like a big boat that "has" to sit at a brokerage until someone comes along locally.
3) The boat is pretty straightforward/simple/obvious to buyers.

So to me, rather than hassle with broker/storage/commission/time/autumn coming, I would just clean it up, take great photos and produce a comprehensive ad, and be ready and willing to help people buy it (detail photos, e-mail response, etc.). Then price it at just a shade less than you think you ought to get. People will likely be lining up for a quick sale. As they say, there is nothing that price cannot cure. Which is not to say there is anything you need to "cure," but just that boats that have the things mentioned above seem to sell like hotcakes, whereas the ones with no photos, you have to pry the information out of the owner, and/or they are holding out for every last penny, "I don't really have to sell," etc..... well, they seem to linger on the market for longer. And ultimately I don't know that the seller comes out ahead, all things considered, even if they did (finally) get a bit more money.

Of course there are many ways to sell a boat - just my thoughts on it.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potter water wrote:
A good reputable broker can usually earn their fee and get you more money than you can get on your own.

just going to second this. when my dad sold his Lund (which was more than my CD) it sold very quick through a broker and he got i think $5k more than what I think he could have expected going FSBO. sad he sold that boat, but it spurred me to get my own C-dory Wink

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime this comes up I have to mention the fine experience I had with Les and EQ Marine. It was no hassle, got what it was worth, and a very fair commission. Les of course knows C-Dorys,and is fair and honest with both sides of the transaction. They, Les and Kathy at EQ, define professional.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Jazzmanic

Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sean,

We've stored C-Dancer at Parkshore Marina a couple of times. It's a full-service marina with a yard for dry-storing boats on a trailer. It's fenced and secure and fairly inexpensive, about 5 years ago it was $90 per month and you can rent space on a month-to-month basis. It's on the southwest end of Lake Washington and is right next to the Atlantic Street boat launch, which would be great for sea trials. There is no electricity or water however and you can't do projects in the yard.

Hope this helps.

Parkshore Marina-Lake Washington Seattle

Peter
C-Dancer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: