garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old topic... anyone have anything new to add to the conversation? Have a product along these lines that you really like? Any pictures in your albums you can link to?
'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ikea floor tiles.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album2825&id=floor2&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deckadence marine carpet!

Soft on bare feet, sand and dirt go through it. We stuff the two cockpit and cabin pieces into a commercial washing machine with Chlorox and hot water for $6.50, believe or not, and they come out great. Make a butcher paper mock-up and cut it/install it yourself with a new utility knife blade. You won't break your hip if you fall on it.

You can do the whole boat for under 8 Boat Units.

We like 'silver', it matches the Yamahas.

If you're always up to your knees in fish blood and guts, don't put down anything. And check your scuppers.

https://www.marineflooring.net/product/deckadence-order/

PM me and I'll send you a scrap piece.

Pics in the album somewhere, I need to re-organize it between adventures this winter.

Happy outfitting,
John

garyf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Ikea floor tiles.

Interesting! Sure looks nice. I assume it's a faux wood of some sort, or is it actual wood? How hard is it - does it have any sort of cushion or spring to it at all? I'm hoping to find a material that helps deaden the sound a bit in addition to keeping us up above any minor puddling... and of course want something that isn't going to be too slippery.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 products:
Dri Deck: Flexible, soft, but still hard on feet. Easy to cut with a knife. The cabin floor was lined with this on our 25 when be bought it. Expensive: 6 tiles for $46.

Duragrid: hard not flexible, sharp edges when you cut it with a saw blade we lined the floor of the area under the cockpit hatches, and all of the storage areas in the cabin cabinets to give circulation. inexpensive 24 tiles are: $84

American Floor Mat Vinyl loop Pool mat material We purchased 3' x 10' (30 sq feet) for $165 and it was enough to do the central isle, head, area under the table and in front of the helm and navigator seats.

Decadence marine Vinyl loop mat--softer than the above. Has silicone non slip on the back. We used this for the cockpit and as John says it holds up well. Dirt and sand go thru both of the vinyl loop materials. and you pull them up after a trip, vacuum the floor, maybe clean and hose off the mat. Just like new. More expensive I believe it was 5' x 6' (30 sq feet) and the cost was $452. I don't think it is worth 3x what the vinyl pool mat was. However, it comes in 5 foot width, the vinyl pool mat in only 3' widths.

You pays your $$ and takes your choice. We used all 4 in different applications--and I am sure that are many other options.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
garyf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
Deckadence marine carpet!

Hmmm... I went to their website and tried playing around with several different color/size combinations and it just kept saying 'this combination is not available, try another combination'... it wasn't even nice to say if the color or the size was the problem. Weird. Not gonna play that game all night.

I guess I'll give them a call in the morning.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first choice would be Deckadence. Expensive, but great stuff. When I bought it for Midnight Flyer, I got some stuff on sale that was relatively a great deal. Used it both in the cockpit and cabin. My second choice is American Floor Mat Vinyl loop Pool mat material, that Bob recommended. I just recently purchased some to use inside C-Traveler. If I were to get something for the cockpit, I'd go back to deckadence, but for inside the cabin the Vinyl loop works well. Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the problem you found with the Deckadence site, but the Luna Silver which is popular, seems to be available in the smaller sizes. You probably want something in the 5 x 6 foot size for the cockpit of the 22. Then 7' long for the inside if you want to go with Deckadence over the American Floor mat vinyl loop. There is not a lot of difference between the two. if you have your shoes on. The grey color seems to hide dirt well, and goes with most interior color schemes.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyf wrote:
ssobol wrote:
Ikea floor tiles.

Interesting! Sure looks nice. I assume it's a faux wood of some sort, or is it actual wood? How hard is it - does it have any sort of cushion or spring to it at all? I'm hoping to find a material that helps deaden the sound a bit in addition to keeping us up above any minor puddling... and of course want something that isn't going to be too slippery.

The tiles I have are real wood pieces (Acacia or similar) on a plastic lattice. The lattice holds the wood pieces in place and also raises them up a bit (like dry deck tiles). This gives space for water to go between the wood slats and then run under the floor to the bilge.

While the tiles are for outdoor use I did varnish them with polyurethane after cutting the ones that needed trimming. The tile snap together so the floor is on piece. It is floating so it can be removed. The floor also floats if the cockpit foods with water. Ask me how I know.

The floor is not slippery when wet. It does get a little warm in the sun on hot days.

The cost was about $120 for the tiles and $15 for a quart of varnish. The tiles come in a package of nine tiles. I needed 4 packages but have a number left over if needed for replacements.

The tiles are also available in the same style but made of green or get plastic.
croakz

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Duragrid Comfort Reply with quote

Has anyone looked at the Duragrid Comfort Tile? It's supposed to be rubbery like Dri-Dek, and not a hard tile like the Duragrid Deck Tile. Thanks.

https://www.duragrid.com/product/comfort-tile/
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Duragrid Comfort Reply with quote

croakz wrote:
Has anyone looked at the Duragrid Comfort Tile? It's supposed to be rubbery like Dri-Dek, and not a hard tile like the Duragrid Deck Tile. Thanks.

d

Interesting, that it is listed as "indoor" but also for pools. It might be worth a question to the company ref UV problems. I have the rigid in some areas like inside cabinets or under the cockpit floor. But I would not use it for places where were I would be walking in bare feet.
croakz

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Duragrid Comfort Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
croakz wrote:

Interesting, that it is listed as "indoor" but also for pools. It might be worth a question to the company ref UV problems. I have the rigid in some areas like inside cabinets or under the cockpit floor. But I would not use it for places where were I would be walking in bare feet.

Yeah, I ordered some Deck Tile on Black Friday, but going to cancel my order as I wanted it in the cockpit. Thanks for the advice. Gonna see if I can find a sample of the Comfort Tile. They list is in their marine decking area too.

https://www.duragrid.com/product-category/indoor-flooring/marine-decking/
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out "American Floor Mats". They have the DuraGrid. I have purchased vinyl loop matting from them several times..

In the inside of my 25 I have the Drideck with the vinyl loop spaghetti mat over it. Great floor covering! Cockpit I used Deckadence--more expensive, but the only one which had the width necessary.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Dri-Deck in the cockpit and the cabin hall way. Yes it does get squishy when it gets hot, But, it hardly ever gets hot way up here. Tolerable with bare feet, but I have some foamy, rubberish mats, like for stankding on infront of the sink, from Costco, that I use in the hall. Nothing in the cockpit. makes it really easy to clean -- a hose and a bit of water pressure.

I am thinking of putting Deckadence in the V birth under the mattress pads.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am thinking of putting Deckadence in the V birth under the mattress pads.

Harvey. Get Hypervent Aire, or the vinyl loop floor mat from American Floor Mat. Much cheaper and for most applications as good as Decadence. I keep a sample of both on board to show folks. One feature of the Decadence, is that it has a silicone type of non skid material (like you use under dishes etc) bonded on the under side. The only reason for the Deckadence, is that it comes in 5' widths and the Vinyl floor mat in 4' widths. $200 will get 36 sq feet (3 x 12). Deckadence will run $540 for the same size! Hypervent Aire will cost $120! Even cheaper is a product called "Water Alley" used in construction: 180 sq feet is $120...so if 5 C brats in the same area wanted a piece, going to be about $24 each (plus shipping in all of these).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: