Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skiptowns98033

City/Region: Cornet Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Dri-Dek vs DuraGrid Reply with quote

Looks like Dri-Dek is 1/16" thicker, has a 5 year guarantee and 12 color choices. DuraGrid has a 10 year guarantee, several different patterns and only 5 colors. It's also less expensive..

I've seen the complaints about Dri-Dek being uncomfortable on bare feet and getting a little mushy in hot weather. I've not seen any comments here or online about DuraGrid
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen or tried the DuraGrid. I'll agree that the Dri-Deck is a bit uncomfortable on bare feet. Also, the many "legs" get quite wobbly in hot sun (so it kind of inchworms around under your feet). I have a light piece of outdoor type carpet over mine; it may or may not not do the inchworm thing without it - I don't remember.

Another one you might consider is Kiwi Tile. I haven't tried it, but have heard good things about it, and it does look like it would be more comfortable to walk on, and maybe steadier too.

www.kiwitile.com

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also this

http://www.greatmats.com/products/softflex-tile.php

and this

http://www.greatmats.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=5337

Haven't actually seen either of these in person.
joefish

City/Region: Great Falls
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: My Girl
Photos: My Girl
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look and feel of SeaDek. You can get samples online.

http://www.seadek.com/

Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad this post got brought up as we are in the market to do our cockpit as it has gotten old having a messy wet deck every time we fish or shrimp. especially since the deck slopes to have water collect at the cabin door. then it gets spread throughout cabin and on multi day trips it is hard to contain. was looking for the previously mentioned home depo ones but unable to locate them so will look into the options posted already here.

anyone who has done this know how many 12x12's it takes to do cabin door to gas tanks on a 22 cruiser?
Jake B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant edit due to time out but looks like 30 tiles should do the deck, looking like I will try the Kiwi floor after one more attempt at another home depo looking for the multi tiles.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake B wrote:
anyone who has done this know how many 12x12's it takes to do cabin door to gas tanks on a 22 cruiser?

Jake B wrote:
looks like 30 tiles should do the deck, looking like I will try the Kiwi floor after one more attempt at another home depo looking for the multi tiles.

You probably already took this into account, but otherwise, note that the Kiwi Tiles are 13.1" x 13.1"
Jake B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i did i figured 27 of their tiles would do it, however they have a tile calculator on their web site and they still recommend 30 tiles and it gives me roughly 5 extra square feet. But i would rather have a little bit more and be able to get as tight of fit as possible so it doesn’t move around.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are already on top of it.

If I go with any new tiles (have original dri deck now), I will go with Kiwi Tile. Have heard good things about it and like the way it looks. That said, I'm not sure I'm going to go with tile at all if I either rebuild the floorboards or make new ones.

Right now the floorboards are out of commission (due to some frustrating construction flaws), and I'm using the original Dri-deck under a section of lightweight outdoor rug type product. It's not bad, and I do like the extra deep cockpit feel (and less likely to hit head on door going in and out!), but the flat sole is nice for chairs and to keep any nuisance water level "out of sight/mind."
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of additional points:

1. Dry Deck and another similar product called Deck-Mate seem almost identical, but have different manufacturers.

2. The two in #1 above and Kiwi Tile almost certainly have different interlocking patterns where they join, so will not be interchangeable, or mixable, in combinations.

3. I have Dry-Deck, like it, but it does

A. get squishy when really hot,

B. is uncomfortable on bare feet, if yours are tender.

To offset these issues, I use the Dri-Deck on top of indoor-outdoor carpeting, which makes it much softer to the feet. In hot weather, wetting the carpet cools the Dri-Deck, and keeps it firmer. Blue Dri-Deck over red indoor-outdoor carpeting also looks very nice.

The drawbacks, however, are

C. cleaning the combination requires a lot of high-pressure water to blow the small particles out of the matrix, and

D. the Dri-Deck stays put on the carpet, but the combination can move around a bit in the cockpit and requires some re-positioning occasionally. I think the movement is due to water underneath the carpet (between the carpet and the hull) that lubricates the carpet and helps it slide around.

E. some fishing/crabbing/shrimping with this combination would be OK, but if you have a lot of blood, fish guts, or other debris that can smell and/or get trapped in the fibers, the carpet would be an odor trap, and I wouldn't recommend this combination to you.

If I had it to do over again, I'd look for a large, single piece, anti-fatigue mat in some color other than black that would fill the whole cockpit and stay put.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some sort of floor mats from HD in my cockpit (rubber with some tufting on top). They work ok, but when they get wet they take awhile to dry out, and only really dry well if taken out and hung up.

Dry decking of some sort will hopefully allow any water to run through to the sump.
Jake B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes our issue is the fish blood scales and slime that make carpet a no go. It would be nice to find one large matt that would cover the whole cockpit and still give a dry place to walk on. as we will have to remove each trip and clean under.

I tried to order kiwi floor each time it tries to calculate shipping it errors out so will try again later, in the mean time i will go online and see if their is a solid matt that will fit the bill.
Jake B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

called kiwi they are going out of business and shutting doors august 31st. they only have a few random colors in stock nothing that would work for me. so back to the drawing board.....
Jake B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

went with these
http://www.overstock.com/Main-Street-Revolution/BlockTile-Deck-and-Patio-Flooring-Interlocking-Perforated-Tiles-Pack-of-30/7549280/product.html

we will see how well they work.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake B wrote:
called kiwi they are going out of business and shutting doors august 31st. they only have a few random colors in stock nothing that would work for me. so back to the drawing board.....

NoooOOOOoooo! Cry

That's too bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: