View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flint

City/Region: Marathon
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Grace Full
Photos: Grace Full
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Can a C-Dory handle it? Reply with quote

We crossed the Pamlico Sound from New Bern to Hatteras. We had some rough seas coming on our port bow. Seas were 3 to 4 foot with some 6 footers thrown in. It was the first time we were in that kind of weather on this boat. We weren't sure if the boat could handle it but the boat did better than the crew. After five and a half hours we made it to Hatteras. No water in the boat but the radar bracket broke. The trip gave me confidence in our little boat. Even though we made the trip I hope to never have to do it again.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a C-Dory handle it? Reply with quote

Flint wrote:
We crossed the Pamlico Sound from New Bern to Hatteras. We had some rough seas coming on our port bow. Seas were 3 to 4 foot with some 6 footers thrown in. It was the first time we were in that kind of weather on this boat. We weren't sure if the boat could handle it but the boat did better than the crew. After five and a half hours we made it to Hatteras. No water in the boat but the radar bracket broke. The trip gave me confidence in our little boat. Even though we made the trip I hope to never have to do it again.

These boats can undoubtedly handle more than I want to try. Every time I'm in a marina guys come up and want to talk about how rough of seas the c-dory can handle and I always tell them its the skipper, not the boat, that I'm worried about. Mr. Green

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks often don't realize how rough that stretch of water can be. Glad you all made it OK. Definitely the boats can take more than we can!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in conditions with the waves breaking over the bow. Not very comfortable but it didn't seem unsafe. With the closed bow the water just runs off although the wipers need to be run often. The only problem is that traveling in those conditions requires going slow which makes them last along time.

I recently encountered conditions like that on Lake Erie. After pushing through for awhile I said "that's enough of this" and we turned around (timed for a gap) and went back to protected waters.

Similar thing happened recently coming out of St. Joe, MI. The river was running out against 2-4 waves coming in from the lake. The channel out was lots of up and down in confused water. It was better once we got out onto the lake itself. In this case the water was not actually breaking over the bow. I didn't feel that the boat couldn't handle it. I was more concerned that some of the passengers might leave their breakfast on the upholstery.
fishingmark

City/Region: Kelseyville
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: c-yah
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 22' angler and fish the northern coast of ca not uncommon to have to deal with 6-8' seas with short sets. In san Pablo bay which is shallow it can be down right rough with simalar wave heights with the wind going against the tide. Water just rolls off the front of the boat just have to slow down the boat will take ruffer water than most would want to deal with. Going out the gate at san Francisco going out past the potatoe patch can be a puckering experience to have to just love the way these boats handle the ruff stuff.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently had a first hand opportunity to out my CD22 through more than I would have cared to. It handled everything better than I ever could have hoped. I didn't even really consider it that uncomfortable, but the Admiral has informed me that she and both dogs (our able bodied seamen) considered it very uncomfortable, and didn't appreciate that I seemed to be having fun.

But, once the passengers start bulking, the best thing to do is get the lines in the water because you just can't waste chum that good, especially if they had bacon for breakfast!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: