Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Breakers! Reply with quote

Not so long ago the Admiral and I were out in a very tricky area with lots of currents, tide rips, shiftable sandy bottoms, and shallow areas meeting ocean swells. This is where the eastern corner of Prince William Sound meets the Gulf of Alaska.

One of the hazards out there is the potential to be suddenly in breakers, not by motoring or drifting into them, nor by being passively pulled into them by a current, but by changing water levels from tides and interactions of these area with swells. The breakers just emerge all around you. You feel your boat jerk, look up, and you're in them.

While many spots in this area are know to be home to breaking waves at certain tides, wave directions, etc, or just have breakers constantly, breakers can simply happen where you are. Yes, this is not the friendliest place, and largely only used by commercial fishermen, but we fish here too. It's where the fish are!

While chasing flatfish, with a longline off of our stern (yes, that means an anchor down there as well) we found ourselves in breakers, and the current moving us about 5 knots into them, sideways.

These were about 4-6' tall (most closer to 4), but because the current was running into them, they were impossibly close together.

Because we are aware of these hazards, and choose to use these waters anyway, we prepare. There is a sharp knife ready to cut any lines off the boat, the main engine is up and out of harm's way while we use the kicker to maneuver the boat and risk entanglement with the ground tackle. We both knew the surprise breaker risk, discuss it every time we go out there, and discuss how we would deal with the situation should it arise.

The first step in any survival situation is to recognize that you are in a survival situation, which we very much were, and we quickly did. The admiral cut the line while I got our main motor down and started. I quickly realized that although it would be a longer ride, heading into the breakers was the way to go. There wasn't room enough for our dinghy between breakers to ride out the easy way, let alone our boat, so we went in, and I started slowly, as I would normally run breakers. But, the boat was in a 5 knot current moving into the breakers, which were rolling at us at about 2-3 knots. So, our speed into the breakers was 7-8 knots before we had added any power.

Needless to stay, at slow speeds I could not keep my bow into the breakers in these conditions. Power up. My GPS now reads ~16 knots and I'm not on step, but close, because the current is responsible for half my speed. Not stable enough, more power and the boat got just on step. What a difference.

I was blown away with the performance. I thought I was really taking a chance going faster, but it was meant to do it this way. Suddenly the boat was up out of the water, stable, easily controllable, and I was simply looking for my line. After about 30 seconds, I was over any uncertainty, and had nothing but confidence in my boat and it's ability to handle what we were in, and quite easily. We never once took any water over the bow, we never once seemed like were were in danger of broaching, even though we took 5 or 6 breakers broadside before we got powered up, and we never once were concerned about bottom depth, even though we were running in water we could have stood up in (but for the waves!)

I am not saying that this was fun, and I'm not saying that I am now going to plan trips through breakers for fun. In fact, we probably will stay away from that area for awhile now, mostly because the fish have moved through, but I'll be back next year! I AM saying that these boats are truly special. they are phenomenally stable, ridiculously seaworthy, and I now have more confidence in this boat than any other boat I have owned or run at work. Aside from the 25', 450hp Safe Boat I run at work (but I don't have to feed it!), there is no other I would rather be in in rough water or hazardous seas, but that boat is a totally different beast with a totally different application and I would not have traded it for my CD22 in those breakers.

I believe that if I had a deep V I could have rolled, or hit the bottom and lost my drive. Moreover, I believe I would have taken plenty of water over the bow, possibly enough to sink me.

I had great confidence in this boat before then. I may never give it up at this point. And all from a fuel sipping, family sleeping, dinner cooking, shallow running, wilderness exploring, big fish landing, backcountry ski-tour accessing, simple skiff setup. I'm hooked.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got safely out. They are amazing boats aren't they! Did you have to cut any lines? And, did I read right that you were in just a few feet of water?
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were taking a rest from hand-hauling our halibut longline, and the gear was cleated to our stern. We cut that off first thing.

The depth meter was reading anywhere from 4' to 22', but largely toward the lower end of that scale. I didn't really look at the sounder all that much though!
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakers! Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:

I believe that if I had a deep V I could have rolled, or hit the bottom and lost my drive. Moreover, I believe I would have taken plenty of water over the bow, possibly enough to sink me..

that same though crossed my mind recently in rougher waters. there are some sexier v hulls that I really like, but I question what they would be like in some of the things I've encountered with the c-dory and I avidly seek milder conditions as it is.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not specifically like what you were in--(and that takes skill as well as knowledge--good job!) We made a number of runs thru rapids in the full displacement sailboat we cruised Ak. in. It was a very seaworthy boat, and we had driven into 15 + foots seas at points in the past. These breakers and whirl pools were an education for us. Because of this, we always timed high slack waters for passes and rapids--which really cramped our daily runs.

Fast forward to the C Dorys. We gradually began to see what these little semi dorys can do. I described it as "Dancing on the waters" as you power up and got on top of those seas. The boats handle these conditions beautifully. Instead of being confined to those very specific times, of ideal conditions we began to make many times the daily runs. This does not mean that one should take chances, but when it hits the fan, the boat handles it.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to understand your situation and need some input.

If you are going into the waves at 16 knots what is happening as you go over the swells. My thoughts keep seeing your boat air born and pounding as you come down. Was this happening. I also ran a 25 ft safe boat with 450 hp and one of the techniques for going over swells was to wheelie off the back side so the landing was smoother but our dories lack that power.

I also had a bow steering experience with a steep 8ft following swell that had me going really slow to keep from broaching. That day taught me that this is not the 25 ft safe boat that handled these conditions much better.

Being a surfer for most of my life has taught me to never get sideways to breaking swells on my board. I would never ever do that in my boat. I saw a cutter take a 15 foot breaking swell on its side which gave me new respect for what they can take but a light weight boat would just get tossed. One of the 44 ft coast guard boats took a 15 ft swell head on in the jaws of Eureka jetty and it turned the boat around rag doll style and tore up one of the transmissions. It was a very expensive repair. I was training with the chief who was running the boat on that trip and we were talking about surfing and then a week later that happened. I know they have to train in rough stuff but getting rag dolled seems to be beyond vessel limits.

I am sure your experience brought you back safely. I do not understand why a fish is worth taking that chance in that type of sea state. I know my go no go decisions are usually made before launching the boat but I might change my mind and abort the trip if I find the sea state to rough which to me means to much wind. I would not even think about parking in a surf zone. If I found myself in one I would head outside of the breakers and then find my way back around the breakers.

I am just trying to understand and not question your go no go thoughts as we all have different thresholds for go no go decisions. An example is off roading in my jeep. It is far more capable than my go no go further decision. I know when I get it stuck its not going to be easy to get it out so I limit what chances I take. I might be a weenie when it comes to off roading but surfing has been my lifetime passion and I charge hard. My boat is an extension of my surfing. Its just a bigger board yet because I have others on board it is my responsibility not to push the envelope. I am also comfortable in the ocean even if it is rough. With the right vessel I pretty much will go. So the coast guard one night asked if I would run out 12 miles to look for a vessel. I stepped outside to wake up and check the weather. It was blowing over 30 so I declined the mission. They later called and said sorry for waking me as the weather made it a no go condition as the sea state was way worse than what the safe boat was rated to do. Who knows, you may have been able to safely do it.

I asked a lot and maybe commented about safe boating but I am not in any way
tossing you disrespect. Most everything you have posted has been very informative and beneficial to us who share the passion. Thank you for sharing.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberider, your not alone in trying to understand the speed with tide into the braking waves not causing a combination of tremendous pounding & or water over the cabin. With all our cruising I've made great effort to avoid these condition, but if ever caught by mistake or otherwise in them would like to better understand how he was able to do it. One pass I've made several times that Ken who works out of Elfin Cove, Alaska does sometimes daily can easily create the conditions Kushtaka describes except for the shallow water, but so far I've either timed it right or got in behind a big boat to make it through.

Jay

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Breakers! Reply with quote

Regarding Hunkydory's and 1Tuberider's questions, maybe this is part of the answer:

Kushtaka wrote:
. . My GPS now reads ~16 knots {i.e. speed over land} and I'm not on step, but close, because the current is responsible for half my speed. Not stable enough, more power and the boat got just on step. What a difference. . . .

Don't know what his final speed through water was - maybe 10 knots? But it apparently was considerably less than 16.

Anyway, I have certainly had experiences in very rough conditions when going a little faster was definitely better. I'm not saying it's a good idea to hit WOT every time it gets rough, and I know what it means to come down hard off the top of something you went over too fast.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am reading this with interest. Not really questioning what he was doing there to begin with, but I think any knowledge gained from someone elses experience, especially if it might help in a future "predicament" is worth reviewing. We don't deal with tides here in the Midwest, but the Great Lakes can get pretty rough with high and close waves without too much warning! Colby
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous post on this thread wasn't worded very well to explain my experience or what I would want to avoid. I have experienced many instances of wind against the tide causing steep, short spaced waves similar to what Kushtaka described, but never an instance where increasing speed other than to maintain steerage would have helped. In fact just the opposite. Sometimes down to 2 knots was necessary to prevent falling off the backside of the wave & then burying the bow into the next one almost simentanously. The one way I could see speed helping is if the wave spacing was so close the boat at speed was literally riding wave to wave without a chance to fall between. Whether the boat speed is over ground or water it seems to me the effect would be the same when meeting the oncoming wave & why avoiding the outgoing water of a ebb tide into oncoming swells, especially in shallower water can be such a hazard & to be avoided. Perhaps these were more like very short spaced standing waves that could be bridged by a faster moving boat.

Jay
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakers! Reply with quote

NORO LIM wrote:
Regarding Hunkydory's and 1Tuberider's questions, maybe this is part of the answer:

Kushtaka wrote:
. . My GPS now reads ~16 knots {i.e. speed over land} and I'm not on step, but close, because the current is responsible for half my speed. Not stable enough, more power and the boat got just on step. What a difference. . . .

Don't know what his final speed through water was - maybe 10 knots? But it apparently was considerably less than 16 knots.

Probably slightly faster, as once I was under power I was heading at around a 45 degree angle to the current to get to the deep, clam water. Maybe 11 or 12 knots over water.

It wasn't a violent ride at all. maybe because they were so closely spaced. I was usually on 2 or 3 crests at a time, except maybe two or three times when
I rode all the way up and down.
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about the go, no go question. n this area, this is not the normal sea state, It is pretty calm, generally, but lots of current, and only breaking water between you and the ocean to keep the swells off you.

The sea state around us changed very quickly. We avoid spots like this in general. As for why we use this area, It is pretty well marked, and it is just spectacular.

If you are entirely risk averse, around here you won't go anywhere. you can find a reason to stay home any day. I favor the option of using the spectacular area I live in as much as I can. I recognize and prepare for hazards, and have so far come out just fine. The rewards are well worth it.

I also have a lot of training and time on the water professionally. That opportunity is simply not available to most, and it is where I learned to operate in less than ideal conditions.

I guess while I may see worse than most, the boat can still handle more than
I can.
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies Kushtaka.

I understand quartering in open ocean swells but would not use that technique in broken swells unless they are insignificant. It sounds like you were in protected waters that had current and tide changes which caused the breakers. They probably were not big enough to scare you off yet even the little ones can be bad news if taken on the side. It was a good time to leave.

We all have different thresholds for go no go and even though I feel invincible I am often restrained by my crew. Many trips have been ended by crew not able to handle it. I almost had a crew member abort a rescue mission when we had wind going to 30 and swell on the rise. I told the crewman to remember a fisherman was counting on us and to rethink as I was confident to complete the mission. After we pulled him out of the rocky area he was in and towed him back with high wind and high waves with waves coming over the gunnel and I docked him in 40 knot winds the crewman was grateful that he did not abort the mission and he gained new insight of vessel capability and appreciation for my dedication to bring him home. It would have been really ugly for the fisherman if we went home without him. That too can be an bad memory.

I do appreciate a beautiful scenery and I do like to catch fish but will do so when conditions allow. There is always another beautiful day coming I want to be able to enjoy it with others.

I hate missing a swell. Drives me nuts. Tomorrow may be the start of a new swell so really I only missed a little and over the years I caught a lot. This last year has been outstanding for surfing. I have more than made up for any swell I missed. This is how I view boating also.

Thanks for sharing.
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always had problems with my boat's stern being pushed around by confused seas and following seas when crossing a bar on a strong flood tide. What do you fellow C-Brats do in that situation to correct the instability in our flat bottom boats?
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forrest wrote:
I have always had problems with my boat's stern being pushed around by confused seas and following seas when crossing a bar on a strong flood tide. What do you fellow C-Brats do in that situation to correct the instability in our flat bottom boats?

I try to stay on the back side of the swell when possible. Otherwise, when coming over the top, you have to make sure you are perpendicular to it AND make sure you pull throttle prior to stuffing the bow into the back of the next one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: