The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Emergency tow line/rope

View previous topic :: View next topic  
haliman

State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Emergency tow line/rope Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
Thinking of getting a tow rope/line just in case I ever need it. I did just sign up for vessel assist last night but again just in case. What do you all carry if any and the ones that do, any recommendations on length, size of rope, etc. What I have read/learned so far is the tow line will need a bridle? Anyways any info on this and where to purchase is much appreciated.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry two 50' lines for use in the locks. Both are set up with a back spliced loop on one end. When I've towed someone else, I use one line attached to the two corner cleats to form a bridle. This bridle line passes through the loop of the other line then that goes back to the tow. This allows the other line to move back and forth on the bridle. If you have two small fenders with holes down the center, put one on either side of tow line on the bridle to keep it afloat and out of the props on your boat. Otherwise you have to be especially careful while deploying the tow line (you have to be careful regardless). I like to tow with the trailing boat 2-3 wavelengths behind me so 50' of rope + the bridle allows for that. For short tows (and similar size boats), it's often easier to fender on the side and tow them on your hip. Just make sure you have lots of fenders place at appropriate heights.

Last edited by rogerbum on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
haliman

State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Roger!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent response by Roger. I have an extra anchor line of 100 foot length I use for for towing. I make a bridle and attach to the stern eyes for towing from the stern. Be sure that the boat you are towing has an adequate cleat. I was towing a Cal 36 at about 5 1/2 knots (towing with a much larger boat), when a couple of waves out of sync pulled his bow cleat out of the foredeck, and it went flying past our boat--over 100 feet away. There is a lot of power in a tow line--and this is why you see the steel cages between the towing bits and the crew. I advise my crew to always stay away from the points of attachment.

If there is any question about the cleat on the boat you are towing--put a bridle all around that boat--just below the gunnel, and hold it in place with short lines to cleats, or fittings on the boat. This can take a considerable amount of line.

One might ask--why tow someone when there is "Tow Boat US" or "Sea Tow". We have found many places where there is no towing service--for example Lake Powell, we end up towing, jumping a battery or loaning some gas almost every time we are there. Going up and down the Calif. Coast there are stretches not covered by towing services. One time a boat had already called for a tow, before we arrived on scene. The boat's batteries were almost dead, so we stood by until they could talk to the towing service by hand held VHF. It would have been much faster had we towed the boat in, but he had already called for a tow--and the boat took 6 hours to arrive on the scene. We both arrived at the next harbor at about the same time--1AM--we would have gotten there at 9PM if I had taken the boat in tow!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Tow line Reply with quote

I have a line permanently tied to the bow eye and the extra stored in the anchor chain locker so that if I need a tow, I can easily retrieve it and toss it to someone from the deck and not have the boat who would be towing me get too close and perhaps contact each other, especially if the water is rough. I learned sometime ago that it is impossible for me to reach the bow eye from the deck and towing from the centerline of the boat is the best. With this setup, I still have enough room in the eye to easily hook the winch line and the safety chain. I agree with others that if you are doing the towing, the bridle arrangement works well. Having been on both ends of the line, it is much better to be the tower rather than the towee.
Jack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: