The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

spike in water pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: spike in water pressure Reply with quote

what would cause a sudden spike in water psi? the motor is a 90hp merc. while cruising from Blakely to FH suddenly the alarm went off and PSI spiked to 15+psi. I shut everything down and switched to kicker while I could inspect. the motor never overheated and I couldn't find any problems. a gave it a few moments, fired it back up and the problem did not repeat.

I did some reading on poppets being stuck open or closed, but I'm not really familiar with what the poppet is in the first place.

potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I didn't know that merc's had a water pressure sensor or display. What year is the motor? I owned a 1999 merc, and it had nothing like that. I don't even know why water pressure...in the cooling circuit I presume...would even be sensed or displayed somewhere.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Aurelia

Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like temporary cooling water blockage if the PSI is for water. Nice to have such a gauge when normally you just get an overheat alarm a few minutes later.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a 2005 model 90ELPTSW4.
I got the alarm one other time when I realized we went through a nasty kelpy area in rip coming out of bellingham last year. It was the first time I had heard such a thing so I shut everything down and investigated, the motor was wrapped in seaweed. I cleaned it and we were underway again. i did not however notice any difference in PSI (that time) but didn't look. I was concerned about heat.

this time, when i shut everything down I raised the motor and did find a bunch of kelp came off, so the possibility is the same. but what's odd to me is I thought that psi would more likely DROP if there was a clog from vegetation... not increase.

either way everything seems to be fine and I ended up boating another 30-40 miles after that with no weird instances in heat or psi....
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to see if there was anything to be concerned about. I'm planning on taking the wife to Sucia and West Beach in a couple weeks and I want to make sure everything is in tip top shape. the drive alone is about 2-3hrs for us just to the launch, so its a trip.
Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a water pressure gauge on my 90 Honda and it tells me my water pump is working ok.

I would take a piece of weed eater cord and feed it into water tell tail outlet the next time you get a pressure spike.

Something plugging the outlet is the only reason I can think of for the pressure to spike.

Bill Kelleher

redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuckDogTitus wrote:
I just wanted to see if there was anything to be concerned about. I'm planning on taking the wife to Sucia and West Beach in a couple weeks and I want to make sure everything is in tip top shape. the drive alone is about 2-3hrs for us just to the launch, so its a trip.

I hope you do not need to fill your tanks while at West Beach. My brother in law got gas there this weekend because it is non-ethanol fuel. He only put around 12 gallons though when he saw that it was priced at $5.69 per gallon. Yiiikes!!!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely a little piece of debris-as when you went thru the kelp bed. It is also nice to have an IR thermometer on board--that way you can check a number of areas on the accessible parts of the engines--and see if there is localized heating.

95% chance this is OK--and it is not worth looking for that other 5% since it cleared up in short order.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, thanks for the feedback guys. I really thought that a clog would have caused the opposite reaction and a drop in pressure.

and in regards to the fuel prices... yes I'll probably top off before we go, but even on Blakely the fuel was about the same-ish. $5.30 or $5.39 if I recall correctly...
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kelp could have sent debris through the intake, slightly plugging the discharge pee hole, while also starving new water from entering the engine. That is why I installed the pressure gage to alert a person prior to an alarm...however, usually you only see the pressure change after you hear the alarm and start looking for the problem. I try to look at the gage when I know I went through some debris -- usually, a pressure drop indicates a plug. Most of the boat shops I spoke to wondered why I would want a pressure gage -- that is the reason. Also, sometimes getting debris off the prop is as simple as putting the engine in reverse and giving it a little throttle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: