View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan Major

City/Region: DeLand
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Pegstan
Photos: The Pegstan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Why is my 16 with a Honda 40 so slow? Reply with quote

Just got back from St. Augustine where my return trip speed topped out at about 12 to 13 MPH at 4400 RPMs. I know weight can be a problem (packed a lot of stuff for the trip). What else could be slowing me down? Marc, if you are seeing this, I met Frank with his 2008 Ranger Tug he purchased from you. He was parked 3 slips away from me at the Conch House Marina. Frank lives in my town and says to say hello.
spuncopper

City/Region: Camden/ Lake Wateree
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sock Monkey
Photos: Sock Monkey
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Slow 16 Reply with quote

Hey Stan:

I have a 16 Cruiser with a Suzuki 50. When we're (2 adults) loaded out for an overnighter I've found my 16 to be slow, too. It struggles to get up on a plane and unless I have a long run it won't come up to full throttle rpms.

If you look at the USCG Max, Capacity plate it'll give you a clue. "4 Persons or 700lbs. or 1150 lbs with persons, motor and gear". With two adults, 12 gallons of gas, two batteries, water, food, etc. it doesn't take much to overload. The boat will safely handle the extra weight, but you'll sacrifice speed.

Hope this helps, be safe out there. :)
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a 1993 16 with a 40HP and could run 16 to 18 MPH at 7700 feet on Yellowstone Lake, with 2 people and no gear, in smooth conditions. Add 2 more people and we were at 12mph or slower. They are very weight sensitive. I suggest going out for a run with no gear and one person, then start adding people/weight to see how weight affects your speed. We used to place lots of gear in the birth to balance out the boat. My experience is tht 16's tend to be stern heavy with batteries and full tanks. I ran with only one battery.

Kevin
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 4400 RPM at wide open throttle? If so, you need to get another prop, with considerably lower pitch for times that you run loaded. The aluminum props are not expensive--and you should at least get 5500 RPM at WOT. I suspect dropping the pitch by 2" you will see significant improvement.

Of course the other question is what prop is on the boat now--and compare to what others get. The 4400 is a decent cruising RPM--but some folks will run the motors faster, with no harm.

The other question is do you have a Permatrim or trim tabs. With weight, this can help trim the boat for a better speed.

Give Marc a call, PM, or E-mail--he is always very responsive. However I believe he had a boat show this weekend.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Patty and me on board, crab pots, pot puller, and maybe lunch and water, our 1991 CD16 Angler with the 1991 Johnson 2 cycle 40 goes faster than feels comfortable. Even when we had it loaded down for the couple of times we took it for overnighters (not Patty's cup of tea), it still had plenty of speed. I think the issue here, once again, is the inherent stern-heavy design of the Cruiser as compared to the Angler. The Angler literally pops up on plane effortlessly, no tabs or Permatrims required.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan, I have my 16 Cruiser set up much like yours. 40 hp Honda with a Permatrim, two batteries and two 6 gal fuel tanks in the stern. It is loaded forward with about 150 to 200 pounds of gear.
The Honda hits about 5200 at WOT, with a top speed of about 20 to 21 knots. I cruise at 14 to 15 at about 4500.
If your engine is running 100%, then the variables here, I would think, would be total weight carried (and weight distribution fore to aft) the prop size and possibly bottom growth.

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I read your first post, I was thinking along the same lines as a couple of other responses:

1) Do you have growth on the bottom or prop? Especially if it is barnacles. First step would be to clean it off, if so.

2) 4,400 RPM at WOT sounds quite low. Your manual will give a range of recommended RPM at WOT, and you should generally be in the upper half of that range (it's typically somewhere between 5,000 and 6,500, but check for your specific engine). Change the prop to achieve this. Test in an "out and back" pattern to eliminate any effect of current, etc.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure this adds any thing to the discussion but, while performing other work a mechanic suggested that that our prop should be changed from 11 to 14 pitch. I did it and now we attain our comfortable cruising speed of about 12 or 13 mph at 3400 rpm. Lots of room left on the throttle but we don't want to go any faster.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
C-jeep

City/Region: Maple Bay
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Jeep
Photos: C-Jeep
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is a "cruiser thing". With my 200lb self and my larger fishing buddy, a kicker, crab pots and fishing gear my angler with yamaha f50 cruises comfortably at 13 mph and wot at 21mph. I think the cabin forward makes the sifference.
Stan Major

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input. I would be happy cruising at 12 and all out at 21. I don't particular like to go that fast myself. Here is where I am at in my research and I still have questions. My current propeller is a Power Tech Stainless SRD 3 11P-YS50 which is an 11.25 diameter X 11 pitch. Everything I read says higher pitch equals higher speed. The reply from Power Tech is in order to increase RPMs I need to lower the diameter and the pitch. Suggested propeller is the Power Tech REB 3 which is 10.25 diameter and 10 pitch. Question is even though this prop increases the RPMs doesn't the lower pitch make the boat slower? What would happen if I went to a 10.25 diameter and a 17 pitch? Again going with the Higher pitch equals higher speed statement. Someday I will actually understand this stuff. Thanks again for the help.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: cd 16 Reply with quote

Stan we had a 16 cruiser with 40 Honda .It would cruise easy 13-15 mph and WOT about 20-22 mph but it seemed much faster what i did to compensate the heavy rear end was put a large doel fin on the engine what a difference jumped up on plane with 2 220lb. men in boat We would hit 5200-5300rpm at WOT.
Your problem could be a fuel problem spin off your water seperater filter (you have one ) and empty into glass cup and see if you have water in fuel then replace filter and add non ethanol fuel . Make sure prop is not nicked also loose some of the stuff on the boat. and off course make sure eng. is firing on all cylinders If that cures it no problems if not then look at buying a LOWER pitch prop. Hope that works let us know

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ask Ken at PropGods and lohave cations in SW Florida

They have a service to try different props before buying

http://www.propgods.com/Content2/Testing/tabid/62/Default.aspx

Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a nice chat with Stan a few minutes ago . There is some growth and my opinion is to go to an aluminum 9px12dx3b and see what that does after cleaning the hard growth for the bottom . he is . That should gain at least 5 or 600 or more RPMs on his EFI Honda 40with a clean bottom, and the slightly larger diameter will help with low speed handling .
Marc

Stan Major

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking Solas Aluminum RH AMITA 3 which has a 12.2 Diameter and a 7 pitch. Is the 7 pitch too much of a drop from the 11 pitch on there now?
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will likely be too low of a pitch with a clean bottom .I wouldnt think you would neet to go below 8 and I would start with no growth on bottom and 12.2 X 9 p.
Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: