The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

List to Starboard
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZoeB

City/Region: Key West
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Zoe B
Photos: Zoe B
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: List to Starboard Reply with quote

I have had the Zoe B since 2004 and kept her primarily on a trailer or high and dry. Last year I started keeping her at my dock in the water (she has a coat of bottom paint). Recently I noticed a slight list to starboard, but it seems to have increased. Currently I have about 15 gallons of fuel in the port tank and 3 gallons of fuel in the starboard, but there is still a list.

Is it possibly for the core to get water in it? Since it is a 2004 I had tank cleats screwed into the deck, I have since removed those screws and patched the holes.

I realize that there is a balsa core, but I never contemplated the possibility of it getting waterlogged.[/img]

Zoe B
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the batteries? On my CD22 both batteries are on the starboard side and depending on the fuel, water, and passenger load (or lack of) there can be a noticeable list to starboard when the boat is still. With the driver and batteries on the same side and no water in the tank (opposite side) there can be quite a lateral imbalance in the boat. Also, in the 22 there main internal storage space is also the starboard side (sink/stove cabinet). When moving I often have the trim tabs set differently to counter the list.

While the looking at the boat at the dock the list is noticeable. However, once on the boat the list is not that apparent to people on board (although the people on board can rebalance the boat somewhat).

If I was outfitting a new boat I would put the batteries in the port side to help counter the driver's weight.
ZoeB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries are on the starboard side. Pictures of the list are in the Zoe B photo album.

I never noticed it so much as i have for the the last few weeks. I am fine with a weight and balance issue due to loading, just want to rule out water seepage in the balsa core.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the list is increasing but you haven't changed anything (that's how I read your post anyway), then yeah, I'd want to find out what was going on too.

I won't say that waterlogged hull core couldn't create a list, but.... it seems unlikely. There just wouldn't be that much water there (even though just a little is plenty to ruin the core). My first thought was... are there any compartments with built in "flotation" foam? If there are, and they are waterlogged, then I could see that causing a list. Also, that type of foam is usually able to soak up water over time. If there is a big chunk of it... lots of water.

My boat lists to starboard, but it's clear why (former heavy kicker/battery) and more importantly, doesn't increase for no apparent reason.
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
If the list is increasing but you haven't changed anything (that's how I read your post anyway), then yeah, I'd want to find out what was going on too.

I won't say that waterlogged hull core couldn't create a list, but.... it seems unlikely. There just wouldn't be that much water there (even though just a little is plenty to ruin the core). My first thought was... are there any compartments with built in "flotation" foam? If there are, and they are waterlogged, then I could see that causing a list. Also, that type of foam is usually able to soak up water over time. If there is a big chunk of it... lots of water.

My boat lists to starboard, but it's clear why (former heavy kicker/battery) and more importantly, doesn't increase for no apparent reason.

If you installed a incline o meter, you could determine how much lean you are experiencing in terms of degrees.

I put one in both boats and am easily able to get the boat to level when underway. In your case, you could determine just how much lean there is at rest.

One of the great things about these devices is that they are mechanical with no electronics involved. They are also cheap ($15). I think the reason behind the cheap price is that they were not originally made for boats Smile
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was the batteries that made me list to starboard.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't explain the 'increasing list' but remember all of the throttle, control and most electrical cables are also on the starboard edge of the boat. The weight is surprisingly significant.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have discovered a few closed spaces in my 19 that have water in them. I drilled a small hole near the bottom of the port & starboard, aft, floatation compartments just forward of the fuel tank bulkheads & was surprised how much water came out. Apparently accumulated water that came in thru the recessed rod holders in the Gunnels above float compartments. Found water in a number of other closed spaces, none of which would cause a list. I'm thinking that water in the core would seek the lowest point over a long period of time & not cause a list unless you have a lot of water coming in on the starboard. I'll be very interested in what you find. Please keep us posted. Vern
ZoeB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check the flotation on the starboard side fwd of the fuel tank.

I did remove the fuel tanks to clean and re-run the fuel hose. In the process of removing the fuel tanks I filled the holes that were in the on the tank anchors. The only other work that i did was re-seating the rub rail on the starboard side. I do notice that there still is a hair of a gap in the rub rail which allows for water to pass thru from top to bottom.

Will keep you posted on what I figure out.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"For me it was the batteries that made me list to starboard."

I have THAT EXACT SAME PROBLEM with my hearing aid, as well! You sure can learn a lot sharing experiences on this site.
97% chance a loading issue; agree with Sunbeam.
Your picture does show more than a trivial list of over 3 degrees using a free download 'clinometer' app in my cellphone...I also use the mechanical kind like Redbaronace, or you can simply attach your cellphone to the cabin wall with some 3M 5200. (JUST KIDDING!).
Did you also re-do/epoxy fill and re-drill your transducer (starboard?) and all other below the waterline hull penetrations like you did the tank cleats? (Many threads on this issue). Water generally doesn't soak into the hull except where there are penetrations. Even then would not expect huge areas or listing in a short period of time. You could pull the boat and check for wet core around those screws. Alternatively, you could hire an experienced marine surveyor to tap around and reassure you (expect $16/ft but you'll learn a lot and have an updated estimated value for current insurance purposes). Any competent contractor would hve primed the bottom with an epoxy primer prior to applying bottom coat that would prevent osmotic blisters/water penetration . I suspect it's a loading issue. Even worst case can wait til the off season to investigate.
Quit obsessing and Go Forth and Enjoy Your Great Boat!
Cheers!
John
[/quote]

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
"
97% chance a loading issue; agree with Sunbeam.

Not that I don't like it when folks agree with me Wink, but just to clarify, I wasn't thinking it was a loading issue in this case. Reason being that ZoeB said the list is increasing, without anything having been changed. That doesn't add up.

I doubt it is hull core moisture, only because even if the hull core were wet, it's not likely to be heavy enough to cause the boat to list noticeably. My guess would be built in flotation foam that is soaking up water (smaller boats are required to have flotation, and often a foam is used that is in enclosed compartments; often that foam is of a type that can absorb water over time.

On my own C-Dory (22), I have starboard list that is due to "permanent" equipment weight, however that list does not increase over time "mysteriously," so that's completely different. (I am looking forward to launching the boat next time because I traded my 110# kicker for a 45# model; will be interesting to see what effect that has.)

Sunbeam
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From ZoeB's album:

ZoeB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to pull and check just so i stop stressing. It just does not make sense to me--thought i saw a place behind the rub rail where water penetration was a possibility, just not sure where it would go.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a good idea. Any list that keeps increasing for no apparent reason seems important to check on, figure out, and eliminate the cause of. I'll be interested to see what you find out.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to get rid of the rusting screws holding the swim platform up if my eyes are correct that you have a couple of major rust stains running down the stern in that area. Nothing to do with the tilt, but rusty screws can let go at bad times and the rust isn't pretty.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: