The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New CD22 Angler - good idea?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westie

City/Region: Bodega Bay
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: True North
Photos: Westie
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: New CD22 Angler - good idea? Reply with quote

Hi there!
I've been boat-less for a few weeks now and going crazy. I'm certain my next boat will be a C Dory. I'm a hardcore fisherman in northern ca (bodega, sf bay). I'm considering ordering a new 22 angler. I would have the port side table converted into a bench seat. I called the factory and this is an option they offer. Does anyone have experience with this?

The factory does not have any pictures. They told me the seat would be 4' 6". I'd like storage underneath and my wife requires a seat to sit up and read while I fish. Seems reasonable to me.

I like this option because of the cockpit size with a warm, enclosed cabin which is easy to tow with my SUV. I would do some overnights but likely not more than a few times per year.

My only real concern is the lack of 22 anglers on the used market. I've PMed a few on this site and they love them. Is this brand marketed towards long range cruisers?

I've been in lust with C Dory since seeing my marina neighbors boat at work on the salmon grounds. It looked sturdy, dry, and safe....I gotta get one!

Any advice is welcome.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing a pic of what you describe, w/ two dogs lying on the bench seat.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Angler is popular--but it seems not many built recently. Do ride in a C Dory before buying and be sure that this is the type of boat you want.

The C Dory 22 weight can be slightly mis-leading. Most come in at somewhere between 4100 and 4500 lbs on the trailer.

The Angler would be fine for an occasional over night--or a week or so if you wish. Folks even "cruise" in the 16--so the 22 is a palace.

Welcome aboard.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Angler is less popular just because many people who are drawn to the C-Dory are drawn to the idea of the cozy cabin, and have ideas of cruising with numerous overnights, etc. Or they need to be able to have a second berth in the main cabin. Or want to cook in the cabin on those longer trips, etc. So more people buy the Cruiser because the C-Dory makes people fantasize about (and do) cruising. In other words, I don't think it's because of any flaw with the Angler, per se.

You might want to send a PM to member mgarr682, and look up his previous posts here. He bought a brand new Angler around a year ago. Here is a link to his profile (from which you can find posts and also send a PM). He posted a number of photos in his threads about outfitting his Angler, so you could get a look at it that way.

http://www.c-brats.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6202
Leo Smith

City/Region: West Seattle
Photos: Leo
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 22 Angler was C-Dory's first model, introduced in the early 80's. After a few years, the 22 Cruiser was introduced. Same hull, longer cabin, shorter cockpit. The sales of the 22 Cruiser quickly exceeded the sales of the 22 Angler, but they are both excellent boats.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cruiser (wife, need I say anything else) but wish I had an angler a lot of times. They are somewhat harder to find....I think their resale value is slightly less than the cruiser but this could just be an Alaskan thing. Bob is right about the weight...they rarely come in on the trailer at 3500 pounds. I have weighed mine, which has twins, a kicker for trolling, dingy, 4 shrimp pots with puller, and basically everything one needs for cruising and it is really close to 5000 pounds on the trailer. Because fuel is an issue where I boat, I have 70 gallons of fuel on board for extended range and that bumps mine up some. Mine is a pig sometimes......LOL....
Westie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I have a 6700# towing capacity so I think I'll be ok. Most towing will be from dry storage at the marina to the ramp anyway. I would like the option to bring the boat to Tahoe and other freshwater lakes in the area.

My biggest issue is not seeing that bench seat. It my wife's only stipulation!
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older Angler and I love it and would never think twice about buying a new one if the opportunity arrises. Tug
mattfailor

City/Region: St. Helens
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Ody-C
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2008 angler and love it! Mine is mainly a fishing boat though and I don't spend a lot of time cruising on it. If you're ever this way I would be happy to take you out in it. Good luck!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the version of the 22 that you are looking for (the seat instead of the table) is called a Commuter. They are pretty rare. I think there is one up on the north end of Vancouver Island, and another way back east and seems like there was one on one of the Cayman Islands too. That's really stretching the memory cells, so I could be off a bit. (Hmmmm some say there's a pretty good chance of that Laughing

The angler does not have much room behind the helm seat, so that 4ft seems like it would be generous, but they should know what they are talking about.

Good luck, and welcome here.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Tug

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a newer 22 ' Angler, would like to see one fully rigged on a trailer or in the water. The C-Dory site never shows any pictures of them so how or why would someone buy one. Tug
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the C Dory web site:

The PDF on the C Dory 22 angler shows 4'4" from the bulkhead between the V berth and the pilothouse, to the aft bulkhead of the pilot house.

It would be difficult to lie down in 4'4", and if it was high enough to allow vision out of the windows, your feet may be dangling well above the floor, unless there is a little ledge for the feet in the center isle. Also there is an issue with the space where the side deck is--the cabin is inset about 6", so that has to be dealt with.
Tug

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at Glenda Jeans' album , great looking boat. I want one but I have to say ( my personal opinion ). I am not a fan of those Patio Doors everyone seems to be using now. They even have them on Nordic Tugs , if I were to buy a new Angler the Patio door would have to be exchanged for a real door. Tug
Westie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I'm looking for a bench that is the size of love seat. It doesnt need to be big enough to lay down. I want her to be able to sit with her feet up on the bench and face forward to backward and read a book. I think 4' 4" might work. If the cushions are 2" or so on either side, there would be 4' of seat. I could put some storage below the bench. I cant see using a small table much.

I could also buy a cruiser, but Im struggling with buying a boat made for a purpose that isn't my priority (cruising). I'm a fisherman and I'm really sold on C Dory. Maybe the Tomcat 255 is my perfect boat but buying something new (w/ trailer-ability for me) seems like my best option.

Any thoughts are welcome...
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tom Cat comes in close to 10,000 lbs on the trailer. That weight is one of the major reasons we are back to a 22 instead of still owning the Tom Cat (My wife gives me grief almost every day for selling the Tom Cat!) I suspect her solution would be to buy a bigger truck (Love that lady!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: