C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
Foggy wrote:
I rest my case.

With nary a retort to any of the factual concerns raised.

Mirror. Aye.

Too bad we don't have a like button on the C-Brats! I too am struck by the difference in courtesy between the US and Canadian customs agents. Canadians are almost always nice. The U.S. guys seem to have >25% chance of being jerks.

That said, I think there is some reason to be concerned about the border and it's not just "protecting us from Canadians". If you recall, it's not that many years ago that Port Angeles customs agents arrested Ahmed Ressam who was coming into the U.S. from Canada with explosives.

Also, to slightly play the devil's advocate - it's easy for you and I to say that Bob and his grandkids are not any threat and I'm sure the customs agents knew that too. However, in an age where anything that looks like racial or ethnic profiling might also be questioned, I think customs agents are in a tough position. They have to do inspections that are just as thorough for everyone lest they be threatened with racial/ethnic profiling lawsuits even if they know that there is little chance of Bob and his family being a threat. HOWEVER, they could at least slip off their shoes or put on shoe covers when inspecting an RV AND the could be quicker about dealing with freezers and fridges etc. They could also make an attempt to be far more polite and to apologize for the necessity of doing their inspections. My guess is that a little friendlier and more understanding attitude on the part of the customs agent would have gone a long way with Bob.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
Jay,

It is not an excuse, just a likely reason in some circumstances. I have spent plenty of my time smoothing out friction between people who want to get along but simply rub eachother the wrong way. I have a coworker who claims he is always hassled at the border and lets just say that non of his coworkers find that surprising. The kind of treatment experienced by Bob is not likely related to these factors but I just think with people, you never really know what will happen. I would personally be very pissed about the bed trodding and treatment he experienced and it would be hard to stay composed. I small,persistant barking dog may have been helpful to expedite the process Wink

Greg

Greg, good clarification of which, I agree. Thanks, Jay

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bringing food into Canada--hope this is the right forum Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
So let me get this right. Someone is rude and over bearing and it makes you angry, it's really your problem? Wow what insight. I have to admit, I must be more screwed up than I thought. Mr. Green
D.D.

US Border injustices occur that are undeserved. I agree.
I'm not saying you have to like it. And, I don't like it any more than you do.
But getting "pissed off" and "outraged" doesn't do any good, doesn't
solve the problem and is self degrading as it shows your own state of mind.
It can even get you into trouble if things escalate. There is a difference
between not liking and letting something, or someone, really get to you and
raise your blood pressure.

Others ridiculous antics and verbiage are none of your business since it reflects
what is in their heads, not yours.

Control others? Forget it. Concentrate on controlling yourself and don't take it
personally.

Aye.

Grandma used to say, "When anger appears, logic and reason disappear".

Foggy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
SNIP

Foggy wrote:
Chew on this: "You spot it; you got it".

That strikes me as the sort of thing kids say on a playground, and although it certainly may apply in some situations, I have a hard time believing it's germane to this one.

We all are childlike, to some degree, in our adult bodies; i.e., a 'man-child'.

"You spot it, you got it" refers to the very common psychological phenomenon
called 'projection'. If interested, Google it and learn something; hardly a saying
to be understood or heard on a playground.

Aye.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
Sunbeam wrote:
SNIP

Foggy wrote:

That strikes me as the sort of thing kids say on a playground, and although it certainly may apply in some situations, I have a hard time believing it's germane to this one.

called 'projection'. If interested, Google it and learn something; hardly a saying

Aye.

But I think you might be missing the point. I'm willing to bet that very few on this site need to Google projection to "learn something". However, some could benefit from learning what is acceptable and normal social behaviour.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To move this thread to a more humorous plane:

Were you all aware that the PM of BC (Campbell) was arrested for DUI in Hawaii? This felony was not embarrassing enough for the BC Parliament to change their laws. And you can bet that Campbell is still going to Hawaii. What a jerk. What I find particularly offensive is that even those taking the catamaran to Victoria or cruise ship passengers cannot embark in BC.

Almost makes me ashamed of my Canadian ancestry.
Foggy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Foggy wrote:
Sunbeam wrote:
SNIP

Foggy wrote:

Aye.

But I think you might be missing the point. I'm willing to bet that very few on this site need to Google projection to "learn something". However, some could benefit from learning what is acceptable and normal social behaviour.

I did not know this was a closed forum where one could not express ideas,
thoughts and experiences.

Please explain how "acceptable and normal social behavior" has been violated.

Aye.

Last edited by Foggy on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
rainger

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobLL wrote:
To move this thread to a more humorous plane:

Were you all aware that the PM of BC (Campbell) was arrested for DUI in Hawaii? This felony was not embarrassing enough for the BC Parliament to change their laws. And you can bet that Campbell is still going to Hawaii. What a jerk. What I find particularly offensive is that even those taking the catamaran to Victoria or cruise ship passengers cannot embark in BC.

Almost makes me ashamed of my Canadian ancestry.

?? Campbell is not the PM of BC. He was once the Premier but never the Prime Minister. And that was years ago 2003 to be exact what does it have to do with what people need to think about when going across the border?

What laws was he supposed to change in BC because he was over the limit in Hawaii??

What I don't understand at all is your last sentence, what are you saying? Who cant embark in BC. I know of no rules that prevents people coming to Victoria by boat getting off when they get here!

So I am at a loss what humor I have missed??
RobLL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a person has a DUI on their record, and without any time limits they cannot enter into British Columbia. Even if they are not driving (auto or boat). I knew this, but it has been emphasized by both the Norwegian cruise ship and the Victoria Clipper.

Sorry I got his title wrong. He is a jerk in any event, driving drunk in the US.
rainger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobLL wrote:
If a person has a DUI on their record, and without any time limits they cannot enter into British Columbia. Even if they are not driving (auto or boat). I knew this, but it has been emphasized by both the Norwegian cruise ship and the Victoria Clipper.

Sorry I got his title wrong. He is a jerk in any event, driving drunk in the US.

Well he may be a jerk to you because he did something that a large part of society does daily by having a few too many drinks before driving (in fact Hawaii promotes alcohol consumption by tourists,) (not an excuse or making it right) but you are terribly mistaken on the laws of Canada and directing that at him.

The Canada Border is controlled by the Canada Border and Security Agency. This is a Federal Department and the laws are Federal Laws not BC laws. Just like Washington State does not create, control, police or have anything to do with the US border, the Premier of BC has no control over the laws and processes of the Canadian Border.

So you can have your dislike for Campbell because of whatever issues you have with him or you have developed because of media manipulation.

However don't blame him for things he has no control over. Unfortunately this is already done far too much by the media and uninformed people in society today on practically every issue.

PS: my step brother in law has not been able to enter the US for 35 years because he had a pot bust in 1968. A former Governor of Washington has nothing to be blamed for that.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
That said, I think there is some reason to be concerned about the border and it's not just "protecting us from Canadians". If you recall, it's not that many years ago that Port Angeles customs agents arrested Ahmed Ressam who was coming into the U.S. from Canada with explosives.

Come on, Roger ol' pal...you're a bright and analytical guy. Don't leave out the most important data point...Mr. Green

That is, the incident to which you refer is the lone example in decades of CBP inspections in Port Angeles. And, more importantly - it was uncovered with the limited staff in place prior to the multi-million dollar expansion of CBP infrastructure and 10-fold increase in manpower.

I don't even need to enter the "perceived safety vs. lost liberties" debate...it's easy enough to point out things were working just fine prior to this "upgrade."

rainger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The problem is NOT Canadian Customs. They were polite and effecient. The PROBLEM is the Psuedo Military attidude of the US customs and boarder patrol.

It is sooo funny how people all have their horror story of a Border Agent. I for one think it is completely the other way around. I go into the US 5 to 10 times a year. I have only had one bad experience in the last 11 years in FH when I meet up with a woman who wanted to prove she was in control.

All my entries at FH, Blaine, PA (Victoria) with US agents have all been great. They have been step by step in process, but have always been even keeled with me, asked their questions and told me to have a nice day.

In fact it was the agents at FH that got me into getting a Nexus card. When I call with my card entering the US by water the Nexus agents I talk to in Bellingham are great.

However I have a number of bad times dealing with female Agents coming into Canada. They have always been overly officious, demeaning and control freaks.

So maybe it is always tough for a Citizen of a particular country returning to that country other than the visitor entering.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
rogerbum wrote:

Come on, Roger ol' pal...you're a bright and analytical guy. Don't leave out the most important data point...Mr. Green

That is, the incident to which you refer is the lone example in decades of CBP inspections in Port Angeles. And, more importantly - it was uncovered with the limited staff in place prior to the multi-million dollar expansion of CBP infrastructure and 10-fold increase in manpower.

I don't even need to enter the "perceived safety vs. lost liberties" debate...it's easy enough to point out things were working just fine prior to this "upgrade."

Agreed to a certain extent. The "perceived safety vs. lost liberties" argument is a good one and of course the Ben Franklin quote of "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither" comes to mind many times in the current environment. But even this left wing liberal is willing to consider the idea that things were not working just fine in the past at our borders and probably are not working "just fine" right now. I've always joked that if a terrorist wanted to smuggle a bomb into the U.S. they should hide it in a big box of cocaine because that stuff gets into the U.S. with very high reliability. Laughing Where to strike the balance is always the issue and that balance point is something on which there are very diverse opinions. My only point about the Ressam case is that there is at least one well publicized event in which protection at the Canadian border was useful (in spite of how friendly, wonderful etc the vast majority of Canadians are). Ressam wasn't Canadian but apparently perceived the US Canadian border as easier to cross than the US Mexican border. If I were a terrorist, I'd probably use the same logic so there is some reason to have some level of inspection at that border.

How thorough that inspection should be, how frequent and how people are chosen for inspection is complicated especially in an age where racial or ethnic profiling is prohibited AND in an age where homegrown terrorists are perhaps as likely as foreign ones. I'm just trying to acknowledge that the job of a customs agent is difficult and complex and that there's no way they are going to please everyone. That said, they could have handled Bob's case much better.
RobLL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"my step brother in law has not been able to enter the US for 35 years because he had a pot bust in 1968. A former Governor of Washington has nothing to be blamed for that."

This is a reprehensible policy of the US, I have spoken publically many times (in my very small amount of influence) about the unjust criminalization of pot. There is some evidence that very senior US officials started waging war on pot and drugs as a way of disenfranchising a significant portion of US voters.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta break up the serious tone here a bit.

The most pleasant interrogation by a US Customs official I have experienced was at Roche Harbor in 2008, after a beater day humping my 20 ft Bartender down the Gulf Islands and across Boundary Pass from Nanaimo in stiff head seas most of the way. She was a tall, beautiful Nordic accented woman with a crisp smile amd a ready wit, for which I was not prepared. Within minutes she had me tied up in knots from my own incomplete or befuddled answers, yet remained pleasant and professional, and beautiful throughout. At the end, we established that we had both grown up in the outer regions of San Diego County ... and as a parting shot, she queried me about a little town "just down the road" from where she grew up. Through the fog of a beaten brain, I croaked, "But I don't think there is such a town near there!!" She smiled broadly, winked, and said, "Congratulations, you passed!" And allowed me to shuffle down the dock, spent and drained, to my boat.

That lady had class, and got the job done with tact and efficiency.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: