View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Bringing food into Canada--hope this is the right forum Reply with quote

On our last trip to Canada last summer we had extra alcohol. Three boxes of wine about 3 liters or so each and a couple bottles of Marker's Mark bourbon I was going to give to our hosts/customer. We rehearsed for the question about our alcohol and our reply was to be just for our personal consumption. We have a locking weather proof truck bed cap. I had all of the alcohol just in front of the tailgate so they could easy see if they decided to check us. I wanted to show them I was not hiding anything if they did. They never even asked. My friend came through a couple of days later with a 27' Ranger Tug and he flubbed a question about where he was from as they recently had become residents of Florida but had residences CT and Rhode Island and their boat is registered in Rhode Island so he could avoid paying sales tax. After stuttering through his answer about where he was from they pulled him into an inspection lane and searched the Be Jesus out of his whole boat and tow rig. He admitted to having extra alcohol and they offered to let him let then confiscate it (donate) it or pay the duty. He elected to pay the duty which if I remember was sort of steep. My advise is not to have anything to hide and don't try to trick anyone and you will be fine.
D.D.

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has been going back and forth to AK, thru Canada, over the past few
years starting out with a shotgun and a handgun. Sometimes by ferry, sometimes
driving.

He declares the shotgun and is allowed to keep it locked but must mail the
handgun from a US FFL dealer to a US FFL dealer not having access to it in Canada
at all.

Aye.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is NOT Canadian Customs. They were polite and effecient. The PROBLEM is the Psuedo Military attidude of the US customs and boarder parol. My grandchildren said that they were the rudest people hey had ever seen! I agree. Give a Government employee a badge, and look out!

Coming back into Port Angeles, we were one of 4 RV's on the Coho. All of the RV's were stopped, and inspected. We were the last RV, and were told to go the wrong way down a oneway street and park. After about 45 minutes two armed (9mm & 2 extra magazines) customs agents demanded to see our passports (already been checked twice today, and we had the tag on the windshield indicating that they had been scanned). The same question how long in B C--what food we had aboard. (we have food for 3 months--most of it frozen). Then I was ordered outside to open all of the doors under the rV--some of which obstructed traffic. Wanted to know what was in the "TV satellite" box--a satellite TV receiver--take it out of the box. Every tool chest had to be opened.

Inside, wanted the slides out (4 of them) which obstructed the street. I mentioned the safety hazard--the officer said if you don't do it I'll make you back up 100 yards and do it in the customs area.... This fellow opened every drawer and cabinet--ruffled thru my wife's underwear! Opened cabinets, things spilled out, and I was told to get on the floor to put items back in the cabinets.

He put his filthy boots on our bed--I told him not to do that. He said it was his right to put his feet anywhere he wanted!

The guy put his grimy hands on every item in the refrigerator--temperature went from 38 to 45 during the time he had all of the doors open. Pulled all items out of the freezer.

Never said boo, or thank you--except "if I had found anything I would have fined you!" So this is the face of America. Don't be afraid of Canadian customs--be afraid of the US and their attitude. They took over an hour and a half total time our of our day. Scared the grandkids. Of course the bad guys and druggies cross with impunity! This action by the US boarder patrol makes me ashamed to be an American.

The gal (also armed) just observed--and did not cause any damage.

The irony is that if I wanted to smuggle anything aboard, they didn't look in any of the obvious places. Never asked us if we had bought any items in BC. It may have been a training exercise--but if so, this is not the type of person you want to train others!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a violating experience. Ugh! I understand that thorough inspections are an occasional part of border crossings, and sometimes "we" are chosen. However it is possible to do them politely and respectfully. Those are the times that you feel, "Well, too bad they chose us today, but they were just doing their job, and they were professionals who treated us well." Obviously that is NOT the way you were treated today. I hate to see an abuse of power like that. I'm sorry you had to experience it.

They also missed a chance to educate your grandkids and gain "proud allies" in them (which could so easily have been done). Now instead they will probably remember only the fear and unpleasantness, and see them as, well... "them." Not us.
Foggy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reasonable way to handle unreasonable people is to be polite, keep your
cool, follow instructions (to a point; define yours), and realize the behavior you are
witnessing is theirs, not yours. You can't control them and it's not your job, why
try?

Actually, on a deeper level, if their aggression, intimidation and rude behavior
really bothers you to the point you become very upset, the true reason it upsets
you is you are being exposed to things you don't like about yourself.

Chew on this: "You spot it; you got it".**

Aye.

**Grandma used to say, "You don't see the world as it is; you see it as you are".
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
Actually, on a deeper level, if their aggression, intimidation and rude behavior really bothers you to the point you become very upset, the true reason it upsets you is you are being exposed to things you don't like about yourself.

That ain't quite deep enough...it needs to be buried.

Quite frankly, that's hogwash. Many of us share complete disgust with our Customs and Border Patrol, particularly up here on the Olympic Peninsula - and it has nothing to do with being faced with something we "don't like about ourselves." Rather, it's an insane waste of resources, all in the name of "protecting" us from a non-existent threat - at the expense of trampling on our civil liberties, and subjecting us to rude and unnecessary behavior by these power hungry thugs. They've repeatedly shown a lack of common sense and patterns of abuse up here - it's far from a few isolated incidents.

We did just fine up here with the Coast Guard, the 5-6 CBP agents in a small office and the numerous well respected State, County and tribal LEO's that were here for decades prior to the multi-million dollar CBP expansion. Ooooh...somebody save us from the Canadians! Please...

And, as yet another data point of how useless they are - I just came back into the US on my Nordic last week. Called in and cleared on the phone. This was the first time I'd ever called in, on a brand new boat (to me) and I informed them as much. They didn't know me or my boat from anyone - other than what they could glean from their databases, and what this first-time caller was reporting on the phone. The amount of illicit goods I could have brought back in the cargo holds of my boat is staggering...and they didn't even see it necessary to send an agent to greet me. The Customs dock is right down the street from their office, they're at the marina routinely, and they had almost two hours notice that I was about to arrive. And yet Bob and his grandkids are a threat?

None of the above reflects anything about myself I don't like. Rather, it pisses me off that people actually think any of the crap Bob and others have gone through at the hands of these people can in any way be justified.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just came through the Blain crossing with the boat for the second time this month and it went smooth. I think a snide or "wrong" answer to a question, even unintentional, can really turn a smooth crossing into something else. I have been pulling loads of kayaks/gear on trailers over the border 2-4 times per year for the last 12 years and have never once been searched beyond the walk around. On the crossing we did Sunday back into the states, the agent actually said "How was the boat trip". I replied that it went well and we caught lots of fish. He said have a safe drive and waved us through not checking a darn thing but our passports.

I wish I had the answer to a smooth crossing for you all but people are involved and that usually makes it complicated. I am a technical instructor and have a good eye for maintaining at least a respectful demeanor toward everyone and I think that goes a long way at the border. It doesn't hurt to offer access for a search before they ask and its usually a little disarming and puts them at ease. "I can open up those kayaks for you really quick" or "some of our gear doesn't smell so fresh but we would be happy to crack open some bags for you". They get the hint that you don't have anything worth hiding. Hard to fake a casual attitude if you are nervous or stressed so try very hard not to be.

Greg

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
The only reasonable way to handle unreasonable people is to be polite, keep your
cool, follow instructions (to a point; define yours), and realize the behavior you are
witnessing is theirs, not yours. You can't control them and it's not your job, why
try?

I didn't notice anything in Thataway's post indicating that he wasn't polite, didn't keep his cool, or didn't follow instructions. Nor that he tried to control them. I would have been upset by that kind of treatment too, and rightly so in my opinion. I don't treat others that way, so I doubt it would be something I don't like about myself.

Having been through many inspections (quite a few in "less civilized" countries), I've found 99% of them to be respectful and polite -- even if they were thorough (they were just doing their job, as professionals). Likewise I am respectful and polite, and I have a hard time imagining Thataway and his family were anything but.

Foggy wrote:
Chew on this: "You spot it; you got it".

That strikes me as the sort of thing kids say on a playground, and although it certainly may apply in some situations, I have a hard time believing it's germane to this one.
rainger

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckcpony wrote:
Just wondering, what is the procedure when crossing into Canada with more booze than is allowed duty free.

DONT DO IT. Unless you lie (not advised) Canada has a 235% duty on booze. Our alcohol here is extremely taxed. Yes that is the duty. That number is not a misprint.

If you bring any into the country over your allotted amount they will charge you the duty so that you are paying all the Canada taxes.
Foggy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
Foggy wrote:
Actually, on a deeper level, if their aggression, intimidation and rude behavior really bothers you to the point you become very upset, the true reason it upsets you is you are being exposed to things you don't like about yourself.

That ain't quite deep enough...it needs to be buried.

Quite frankly, that's hogwash. SNIP. FOLLOWED BY A LONG RANT.

I rest my case.

Aye.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
I rest my case.

With nary a retort to any of the factual concerns raised.

Mirror. Aye.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I'm also disgusted with the personnel types I've seen encouraged instead of sorted out of the border personnel & other fields of law enforcement who are attracted to these positions of power. It takes very few individuals doing this to have many of us question our respect for the whole bunch. Behavior such as you described & the SWAT style dressing of the regular personnel of many law enforcement agencies going on all over the country is something I've watched intensify over the last couple of decades with personal feelings of unease. I graduated from a law enforcement academy in the early 70's & was on patrol during some unrest & resentment against authority during that period, so know the difficult job good law enforcement has, but this type of behavior diminishing the respect they need from the normal law abiding among us, really makes the good officers job a whole lot harder & rightfully citizens thus treated angry at the individual & institution they represent.

On foggy's comment of self implication. I was going to write balderdash, but I think hogwash will suffice.

Greg, a slightly snide or unintentional off remark is still no excuse for abuse of power & Gestapo like actions. I too have made many border crossings & the very few times I was treated similar to Bob was definitely not due to my own actions, though some of us are more apt then others to bristle at unprofessional behavior by those of whom are supposed to be serving & protecting us.

Jay

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Bringing food into Canada--hope this is the right forum Reply with quote

So let me get this right. Someone is rude and over bearing and it makes you angry, it's really your problem? Wow what insight. I have to admit, I must be more screwed up than I thought. Mr. Green
D.D.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

It is not an excuse, just a likely reason in some circumstances. I have spent plenty of my time smoothing out friction between people who want to get along but simply rub eachother the wrong way. I have a coworker who claims he is always hassled at the border and lets just say that non of his coworkers find that surprising. The kind of treatment experienced by Bob is not likely related to these factors but I just think with people, you never really know what will happen. I would personally be very pissed about the bed trodding and treatment he experienced and it would be hard to stay composed. I small,persistant barking dog may have been helpful to expedite the process Wink

Greg

Last edited by Aurelia on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen vehicles getting tossed at Port Angeles, similar to what Bob describes, but it must be random, as I have made maybe 30 crossings there and never been scrutinized, never been harassed. Got inspected for weapons by the Canadians once at Blaine, going north, I suspect as a strictly random choice, and they were firm but polite. The woman at the kiosk looked at her terminal, looked at me, rolled her eyes, and then told me I would be inspected for weapons. The eye roll was the tell. She could look at me and see I was not likely to be a weapon smuggler.

The conduct and attitude Bob describes is outrageous. If it happened to me I would definitely write a letter detailing the experience on the badge number of the agent. He could have done the job without being an asswipe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: