The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Brake Stutter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Brake Stutter Reply with quote

I am getting an occasional stutter in the trailer brakes on my EZ loader trailer when I stop. Its not always, just occasional. what would cause that? Air in the lines? fluid is topped and brakes are in otherwise good shape, just had the trailer serviced this spring... looking for some troubleshooting suggestions.

Beer

potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surge brakes or electric?

Stutter usually means pitted or rusty rotors, grease on the pads or rotor. Sounds like you got a bad brake service job. Could also mean that you have one of the four wheels or a pair that are skipping along the ground during braking if you have a tandem axle trailer. That would be caused by pretty sever imbalance of the load on the axles front to back.

Good luck

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potter water wrote:
Surge brakes or electric?

Stutter usually means pitted or rusty rotors, grease on the pads or rotor. Sounds like you got a bad brake service job. Could also mean that you have one of the four wheels or a pair that are skipping along the ground during braking if you have a tandem axle trailer. That would be caused by pretty sever imbalance of the load on the axles front to back.

Good luck

Hmmm they are surge, and it is tandem but the boat is not balanced any differently as far as I can tell. that is something I always check when we retrieve, we get kind of picky about that.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get pump on the brakes, the rotors/disks are warped. Mine got that way from getting really hot. Your may differ, as they say.

Could also be the way the surge brakes interact with the load, sort of an oscillation. Trailer slows down, the surge brakes release the trailer speeds up, but the brakes on, etc.

Just WAGs, since I'm 1000 miles away.

Boris
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Boris said rotors can warp if they get heated up especially if you dunk them in a cold lake before they cool down.

If they are drum brakes another thing to check would be the hardware - weak springs can cause problems especially if the drums are also worn beyond spec. As a rule of thumb if the paint is no longer visible or if they are rusted - replace them.

Air in the line will diminish the braking but I don't know if it would cause your problem. Brake fluid should be replaced and all the old fluid bleed out every X# of years anyway - so you could try that.

Regards, Rob

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by stutter. Is it a noise or vibration, or kind of a jerking on your tow vehicle? It could possibly be one brake catching before the others, locking up, or a "sweet spot" with your coupler that is causing the brakes to apply then release. (Not enuf pressure to completely apply the trailer brakes, but enough to continually activate and release the piston.) Does it just do it during a hard stop, or a very gentle stop? Anything recently changed with your trailer hitch? One other thought comes to mind, a possible internal leak within the hydraulic coupler system. (Think sort of how your car with anti lock brakes acts when you try to lock it up on a slick road. Is the "stutter" anything like that?) Colby
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Not sure what you mean by stutter. Is it a noise or vibration, or kind of a jerking on your tow vehicle? It could possibly be one brake catching before the others, locking up, or a "sweet spot" with your coupler that is causing the brakes to apply then release. (Not enuf pressure to completely apply the trailer brakes, but enough to continually activate and release the piston.) Does it just do it during a hard stop, or a very gentle stop? Anything recently changed with your trailer hitch? One other thought comes to mind, a possible internal leak within the hydraulic coupler system. (Think sort of how your car with anti lock brakes acts when you try to lock it up on a slick road. Is the "stutter" anything like that?) Colby

the stutter is like a catch + release + catch + release, or kinda like the wheels are going over a bumpy road all the sudden when slowing down. I haven't it seems to happen more during a soft brake than a hard brake. I havent' noticed any leaks or anything yet, but I think this next week I'm going to either tear all the brakes down myself for inspection or take it in for full service.

the only change I've done this year was had bearing buddies added in the spring (april).
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest adjusting the little "star screw" on each brake and see if that helps. (With all at pretty much the same adjustment.) If you recently had the brakes serviced and that meant new shoes, they are probably getting seated and in need of adjustment.) Smile I don't think the bearing buddies would affect it, but I never liked them because I always had the grease pressurized out of the seal onto the brakes. (Could have been operator error in loading too much grease in them, or cheap wheel seals! Sad Colby
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I am definitely going to tinker with the adjustment. I meant to last night but got stuck bucking hay (330 bales, fun fun). they inspected the brakes and found them in good shape so didn't actually end up replacing the pads. I'll get to the bottom of this though and post a conclusion on the thread in case it comes again later for someone else.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pads, or shoes? Smile Pads are on Disc brakes, and I would then wonder about warpage. Shoes go with drums, and usually don't involve warpage... Semantics does make a difference here. Smile And yes I hate the grammer police too! Mr. Green
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Brake Stutter Reply with quote

Maybe it's tow vehicle. Tranny jumping gears or sumpin.
D.D.

digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that the tongue actuator is sliding freely. I would out some gear lube on the sliding surfaces. When you are braking lightly, the tongue may be hanging up some. When you got the boat, the brake lines had been thoroughly bled, and it had new actuator on the tongue, and the slave cylinders on the brakes were new. However, backing into salt water corrodes the backing plates, brake shoes, and slave cylinders. You may need new wheel cylinder parts if you have not been rinsing the brakes through the flushing devices. Surprising how fast they get bad.
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digger wrote:
Make sure that the tongue actuator is sliding freely. I would out some gear lube on the sliding surfaces. When you are braking lightly, the tongue may be hanging up some. When you got the boat, the brake lines had been thoroughly bled, and it had new actuator on the tongue, and the slave cylinders on the brakes were new. However, backing into salt water corrodes the backing plates, brake shoes, and slave cylinders. You may need new wheel cylinder parts if you have not been rinsing the brakes through the flushing devices. Surprising how fast they get bad.

thanks Ron. I baby it quite a bit when salty. my post salt rinse down is pretty extensive and I always utilize the flushing devices you had on the axles/brakes. I just took a long trip to anacortes and had no brake stutter at all until I got home, and it was only at very low speed through a housing development. normally I tow with the cherokee and the hitch on that suv coincidentally sits much higher than on the 3/4 ton cummins I towed with this weekend, so maybe there is a connection there. I will get it figured out this week. I did have the brakes and everything inspected again this spring when I did a full tuneup and nothing seemed awry. I specifically asked them to really pay attention to any potential corrosion I could have missed because of how much time I spend in the salt and the guys said the boat looked fantastic and said we must do good job washing it down. could have been lip service but the mechanic I went to came highly recommended.
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today the trailer got new bearings, new seals, brake adjustment and bled again just in case. it appears to be towing fantastic again. just a few miles so far but we have a long trip coming up in a week or two so that will be the good test.

I think we've narrowed down the culprit to just needing brake adjustment, but the bearings were looking due so its good to get it all done at once.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't take much adjustment to bring in back into whack! Smile I kind of thought that might be what it was. But when you mentioned towing with a different vehicle with a different height on the hitch, that might have caused it too. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: