The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Transom Fishbox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcr_pnw

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Photos: Sea Star
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: New Transom Fishbox Reply with quote

Tired of having a cooler to deal with in the cockpit and seeing the empty space in the splashwell, I had a custom glass fishbox designed and installed by BAMF Boats up in Sedro Woolley. Not only do they make some pretty awesome deep vee boats but they do repair/retrofit work as well. They glassed the box using foam core for some form of insulation. Not enough space to make a true insulated box but still great for a day or two of fishing. Overall dimensions were about 50"Wx10"Dx12"H. They did a gelcoat match and bolted to the splashwell using a gasket to create a tight fit. I went with a simple starboard lid but could use cutting board material or anything else that would work really. I had them do a split lid design. The larger portion has a lip that fits under the smaller. If you need to access or put something smaller in, just lift the small one. Need to dump a hefty chinook, grab the larger one and it lifts the entire thing. To close, just use the smaller one and it closes the whole thing. The drain is piped overboard to keep blood, scales and such from accumulating in the splashwell. It is also fitted with a drain plug to turn it into a livewell.

There is clearance for the powerheads and all the bolts were well sealed with 4200/4000. There is also space underneath for engine rigging cables to slide under so they are not kinked or forced into odd positions.

I am really happy with the design and craftsmanship. The gelcoat match was great and it looks like a factory option. I think they did excellent work and this is my favorite, most useful modification. I would highly recommend it for anybody looking to get it done.

I have Venture so the design was a bit simpler already having a closed splashwell. Nathan at BAMF could do a modified design for people with the Cruiser which would seal off the splashwell in addition to adding the box. It could either be a bolt on design with a gasket or fully glassed into the transom. He estimated cost would range from $800-$1200 depending on gelcoat match, options for lids, hardware, drain, whether bolted or glassed in, ect., ect. Each box would be built to customer spec.

This is not a pitch for BAMF as I have no affiliation with them. I just have admired their boats and found out they did repair/retrofit work and got in touch with them.

Nathan runs the shop up there and is who I worked with. I am very pleased with the quality of their work.

More photos in my album.

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Troy that is really nice work! I would love to get something like this for our boat, and close off the splash well to waves at the same time.
tcr_pnw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As somebody who fishes, you won't know how much you wanted one until you get one! Best thing I've gotten for the boat so far.

If anybody wants, they can PM me for Nathan's cell number or more info. He'll welcome a call but I don't want to post it for all the spambots to grab.

Troy
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much like what I did on my 22. best add on that we did to the boat.
hambone

City/Region: Klamath Falls/Brookings OR.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOOKS GREAT! Well done. I had mine made out of Aluminum and I too think its the best addition on the boat. Again well done.

SEAWOLF 2008 22' TWIN HONDA 50s CRUISER
redbaronace

C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hambone wrote:
LOOKS GREAT! Well done. I had mine made out of Aluminum and I too think its the best addition on the boat. Again well done.

Nice mod. Good thing I don't have a 22 otherwise I would be on the line with my fabricator with links to your thread.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished out of this boat last week and the box is fantastic. Looks like it was factory made for the boat. Great design and a lot of room. if you own a 23 and fish or crab you need to get one of these. You will not be sorry.
tcr_pnw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a dozen or so catches later, I believe this is the best addition I've done to the boat. Plenty of room for 10+ coho w/ice or 6-8 good sized kings. Also easily done on a 22. Cleans up easy as well with the overboard drain. If you're thinking about having something like this, definitely do it this off-season!

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Troy! Nice feesh too.

Question: Can you raise the motors out of the water with your closed transom/fish box?

Peter
tcr_pnw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmanic wrote:
Beautiful Troy! Nice feesh too.

Question: Can you raise the motors out of the water with your closed transom/fish box?

Peter

Absolutely Peter. It was designed with enough clearance that the motors can be completed raised up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: