The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

vavigation lights question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coach T

City/Region: Spanish Fort
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Loleta Gray
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: vavigation lights question Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 2013 22. I am still working out a few issues and I have a question about navigation lighting. Over the 4th weekend I had a opportunity to go for a evening cruise. I noticed that when I turned on my nav lights red/green and white my instrument panel lights are not on. If I switched to anchor the instrument panel would come on. I'm sure this is a easy fix but I just wanted to get some info before switching/diagnosing wires. If this helps I have a rocker style of switch. Up is nav down is anchor and middle is off.

Thanks
In advance
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The anchor light is a 360 degree light, and should come on when the navigation lights are one. Some boats are wired so that the 360 degree white light is on with the red and green. Occasionally a boat is wired so that the steaming 360 degree light is on a separate switch. Probably not a good idea to have the white separate.

I believe in your case, the white does come on when you have it on "navigate"--and you need to switch the leads for the instrument lights to the same terminals that the red/green and white 360 light are on. This means switching the instrument leads from the top to the bottom. There may be differences in the 2013--and there may be a terminal block, or they may be directly wired to the spade connectors. In either case, change them.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
haliman

State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Bob said - Very easy fix.
mgarr682

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Glenda Jean
Photos: Glenda Jean
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Same problem here. Reply with quote

My 2013 came the same way. On mine there was a jumper on the back of the switch panel that was connected to the wrong terminal. I spent a few minutes with a cheap volt meter and made a diagram of which terminals were hot/not with the switch in each position (nav lights, off, anchor light) and traced out the individual wires to see which fed what and connected them appropriately so my instrument lights would be on when the nav lights were on but off when the anchor light was on.

Here is what the back side of my switch looks like:

If I remember correctly the nav/anchor light switch is on the far right of the photo. I don't remember if the photo was the way it came from the factory or after my repair, but I do recall that the short jumper was on the wrong terminal. A few minutes with a volt meter and the switch in each position should tell you how they should be connected.

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably obvious, but the reason the jumper part exists (my 2002 has one also) is because the all around white light is being used for two different purposes. It needs to come on when you switch on the nav lights (when it serves as a steaming light + stern light), and it also needs to come on (but by itself) when you switch on the anchor light. Hence the jumper. In my case it was wired correctly but still used the jumper for above reason.
Coach T

City/Region: Spanish Fort
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: Loleta Gray
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

thanks for all the suggestions. I'm sure it is a simple fix just need time to diagnose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: