Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lupette

City/Region: FOX ISLAND WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Island Fox
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: New Dory, New user, Unbelievable story! Reply with quote

Hi all! My husband and I live in Washington (Fox Island) and have been trying to buy a used 16 foot C-Dory for two summers! Every time I found one that sounded good, for sale anywhere near here, I would get to it just a tiny bit too late. There was always someone just minutes in front of me, and they would buy it before I could! Cry Recently, I found one in the boat trader online that sounded good but it was in Indiana. I asked the seller to email me photos knowing that it was a bit unrealistic to look a a boat so far away. It took around 3 weeks and lot of pestering from me but I finally got the photos and what a beauty she was! My husband and I gawked at the boat that we wanted so badly and after only 5 minutes, decided to drive to Indiana to pick her up. Not wanting to lose yet another boat to someone who got to her first, we immediately emailed the seller and offered him full price. He accepted our offer and we were off! It took us 4 days, one of us sleeping and the other one driving, to go all the way to Indiana, pick her up, and then turn immediately around and bring her home to WA. We made it without any mishaps and are now happy that we made the trip.

This is our first boat and we have many questions. The first one has to do with old #1 on all the check lists that you'all have compiled and that I have been reading. We were just about to enjoy our maiden launch this evening when we discovered that the plug doesn't fit tightly into the drain hole. It doesn't want to grab anything when the lever is flipped. It fits into the hole but just sort of hangs there loosely. Rather than risk it, we decided to scrub the first launch till tomorrow nite after work . . . and after I have had a chance to find out if this is normal or to get a new plug! Is this how the plug is supposed to fit?

Other questions:

1)Is there an operating manuel for this boat? If so can it be accessed online?
2) Is the bilge pump automatic?
3) Is there supposed to be a bulkhead between the storage compartment and the very tip of the bow or is that something that the prior owner added?
4) What kind of anchor do I need and how long should the rope (or chain) be?
5) Do I need sea charts for the Puget Sound?

Just a few to get us started Laughing I'm sure we will have many more!
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll field the first question. If the plug is the rubber stopper type with the lever, the lever should screw in and out of the stopper. Screwing it in will increase the diameter and make it tighter. Suggest that you put it in from the inside where 1. you can get to it and 2. no one else can from the outside.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Dory, New user, Unbelievable story! Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Dory, New user, Unbelievable story! Reply with quote

I'd also suggest you buy a spare plug and keep it very near the hole by connecting it to some adjacent part with a twistie or similar rapidly removable attachment. It's would be a shame to miss a day of boating because you can find the plug....

The "storage compartment" in the bow sounds like the anchor locker. I believe that even the 16's have the front triangle close off a little for the anchor rope locker - typically this is fiberglass, about 1/2 up from the v-berth to the ceiling. Many people fully close this off and put a hatch in to give it a more finished look.

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up First off, congratulations! You two must have had psoriasis after a 4 day driving spree. My asis sore after just 7 hours driving a tow vehicle.

Agree totally with David, Dan, and Roger. Lose the flipper type plug and get the T handle version. I had the flipper type in my first boat ever, had it on the outside, and some river trash caught it and pulled it off. One trick, learned from necessity is that if you every lose it STAY ON PLANE and make a direct run to the launch ramp. Water will flow out as long as you're on plane. It's when you stop that the trouble begins. (I always carry a spare plug now)

You can read Chapmans et al all you want, but one launch and a 30 minute cruise with an experienced boat owner will save a lot of grief. If you don't know anyone who boats, go down to the launch ramp and eyeball the techniques (and misteaks) so you'll be better prepared. In any case, it's all mostly "learn by doing."

Some kind of chart and a compass is an absolute necessity. Practice going somewhere and coming back by using the chart/compass in nice weather. Some day you may get caught in not so nice weather and that's not the time to practice Dead Reckoning...!

Oh how fun. You bring back memories of my first boat and how exciting it can be. Thanks for the memories

Don
lupette

City/Region: FOX ISLAND WA
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: Island Fox
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your quick answers! I am off to get 2 t-type plugs! I promise I will only use them inside the boat (that was my original intention . . . so I got at least one thing right! lol) and I will attach it to something back there so that I cannot lose it! I will also pick up some kind of anchor and plenty of rope. Thanks for that suggestion . . . I had no idea I needed 3 to 6 times the length of any depth I would anchor in!

Thanks for the suggestion about the bilge pump. I will set it on manual cause I plan to store Island Fox in my driveway. BTW- other than the boat filling up from rain, is there any reason to remove the plug when she is not in the water? I have a full cover that will keep the rain out so I am wondering . . .

I also thought that the area bulkheaded off in the bow might be an anchor locker but there is no place that I have found to acess it from the deck so I don't understand how it would work. Im gonna have my son remove the bulkhead (its only attached with screws that are rusting away so it needs attention anyway) and see what's back there. We can always reattach it with ss screws if we find that we need it. As to the launching we went yesterday in advance of our discovering that the plug was loose and watched everyone to see what we could learn. We saw many mistakes and very few flawless efforts. My husband is good at backing trailers so we don't anticipate that to be a problem. We also made a checklist so that we don't forget to do anything.

The navigation stuff and the charts were my idea. I used to do some coastal navigation when I was in my younger years on sail boats so I am not completely unfamiliar. I was wondering about it becuase I know what can lie just beneath the surface of the water, and what it can do to a boat! I just didn't know if the Puget Sound had many shoals or other dangers. I will probably invest in a few charts of the area though not immediately. We have a hummingbird fish finder (I think it doubles as a depth finder too.) and a compass that came with her. I guess they will come in handy. I haven't a clue how to use the fishfinder! I really don't know how to fish but I guess we will learn. HELP!!! My list keeps getting longer lol javascript:emoticon('Teeth')
Teeth

Phew! I guess that's it for now. Thanks again for all the quick replies. If anyone knows how I can get my hands on a C-dory 16' angler manuel please let me know! Happy cruising javascript:emoticon('Laughing')
Laughing Terry
eieioh

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Brave Heart
Photos: Brave Heart
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the acquisition of your boat. We live just down the road in Gig Harbor, also have a 16 ft C-Dory, took up boating only 16 months ago, have made lots of mistakes, and would be delighted to share them with you. Maybe, between us, we could achieve a level of competence that would save other boaters a lot of grief. You are welcome to come take a look at Brave Heart and see how it compares with your new boat.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What David said about the plug - even the ones with levers tighten by screwing them in, then you flip the lever down to secure. You asked about charts - get charts, get a little GPS chartplotter, even a GPSMAP76 handheld...but most of all, GET A COAST GUARD AUXILIARY OR POWER SQUADRON BOATING SAFETY COURSE PRONTO! You will learn a lot, and after you have completed it, you will be able to tell who has and who has not taken the course when you are out on the water. You can also take a boating safety course online, here is a link. Look forward to meeting you!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Laughing Terry, congrats on the new boat. I don't think there is a "manual" per se, at least I've never seen such a thing. Just take it easy in the beginning and within a couple of months, you can write your own manual. Other stuff (engine, etc) will have their own manuals of some sort or another. Check the manufacturers web sites and you should find them there.

As for the bilge pump, it should have three positions. Automatic (it'll come on periodically, check for water, pump till it's empty and shut off), Off (never runs) and Manual (On all the time, running). Don't keep it on Manual or it'll run all the time, water or no water and run your battery down. My boat stays in the water alll the time and I keep my switch on Automatic. A llittle annoying, as it cycles on every couple of minutes, but reassuring that it's working. Never had a problem with it running the batteries down in that mode. Matter of fact, it's wired directly to the batteries, no switch (except the auto/off/manual one) between it and power.

Good luck, let us know how it goes...

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Terry.... My few experiences in riding in a boat in Puget Sound shocked me with the great number of semi-floating logs and debris in that area. The advice of all these highly experienced 'salts' is great, but from my amatuer perspective, fear of hitting a log ranks high.

Congratulations, John

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. I don't know how Pat neglected to mention this, but we have a 300' rode and 20' chain for sale---$100 for the whole thing. If you plan on pulling by hand, this will work fine. Both are a little large for a windlass so unless you plan on adding that BOAT unit (bring on another thousand) soon, here's a good deal for you!
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupette, glad you're here! We can't have too many 16's in the mix. That was quite a story about how you came to acquire your little jewel.

Behind the bow bulkhead is foam flotation, a place I've never needed to access on my 16. Hope to see you out there in the not too distant future.
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From one long distance purchaser to another, welcome to the fray! You will truly enjoy boating! And you certainly chose the right brand to start with! Smile

I'm actually one of those people who likes to have the plug on the outside. And I still use the flip type, even after 25 years of boating. When I put the boat in the water I drive up to the launch and the first thing I do is put the plug in. Then I take the tie downs off and attach them to the cable I clip the plug onto. In this way I make will be sure to see that I have put the plug in Smile

Remember, everyone leaves the plug out at least once!

I prefer to remove the plug when the boat is out of the water. In this way the plug is regularly inspected and never gets stuck! I remember years ago having to drain the water out of my Dads old Crestliner and not being able to pull the plug. The rubber had stuck to the metal fitting for the drain so bad we actually had to use a hammer and punch to get it out.

Asking if you need charts is like asking if you need a map to find an address when you don't know where you are going. IE: Yes you should have them on board! If for some reason you get stuck out in the sound when the fog rolls in a chart, GPS, Compass and Depth finder are essential tools. While you can do without a GPS I would not want to be without any of the others. With a chart, Compass, and Depth Finder you can often pinpoint approxamately where you are on the chart by knowing about where you were when the fog rolled in. Then look at the depth and the compass and you should be able to figure out pretty well where you need to go. I've done this more than once while fishing out at Sekiu. And in fact I still don't have the GPS yet. I do have a laptop I can use for one but I rarely took it on board on the old boat.

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Remember, everyone leaves the plug out at least once!" -- hard to believe. That's why they make Boston Whaler I suppose, for forgetfull people . . . (not that I know any).

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I'll be in the minorty here but I have mediocre charts (usually in a cruising chart package), a decent boyscout style compass but two GPS units - a fixed mount and a hand-held battery operated one. I keep an abundant supply of batteries on board. In the 3 years or so that I've had the boat, I've never used a map for navigation even in thick fog and have never really needed the compass. I have them, I can use them, they are sufficient for where I go but the GPS has always been far superior to trying to read a chart (especially in less than ideal conditions). Good charts are especially unwieldy to unroll and read in waves or big swell.

In practice, the only thing I use any map for is to plan trips, to look for potential moorage, to seek out places for lunch, potty breaks etc. and to make sure I know what marine area I am fishing in when I'm near a border. Other than that, I really have no use for charts. I almost always boat within sight of shore and I have a really decent depth finder. I wouldn't trust my life to a single GPS with the current sets of charts that I carry, but the combination of a good fixed mount plus a battery backup and a good depth finder makes me feel plenty comfortable to venture out.

The thing I really worry about in fog is getting hit by someone else - not getting lost. I don't have a radar, so when fog gets thick, I stay out of the shipping lanes and return to port. Charts and compass don't change that aspect of things.

OK folks - lay it on me - tell me how wrong/dumb I am by not going the traditional chart/high quality compass route. Tell me the scenario underwhich I will screw myself by depending on my dual GPS setup for navigation. Note: A nuclear war in which all the satellites are knocked out or in which the EM pulse destroys both GPS units doesn't count - if that happens, I'm staying out and fishing until the radiation sickness kills me....

Laughing

Last edited by rogerbum on Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: