Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colobear wrote:
No...it means that the single 40 will still get to 5400 (or so) RPM but it will not plane my 22, that little engine and prop just doesn't have enough ooomph to do that.

Okay, so then (still figuring this out in my head, so thanks for bearing with me) if one of your 40's running alone will make ~5,400 RPM (never mind the speed for now) --- what do they make for WOT RPM when both engines are running together?

(Actually, if the WOT for both together is 5,600 or more, then it would still seem like "propping as one of a pair" to me, which is what I was originally thinking. So I'm really curious now!)
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the same. WOT/prop is for that engine with that prop. It will still do that WOT with that prop regardless of how many other engines are there beside it.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me, this just makes another advantage to having a single as opposed to twins! Twisted Evil
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: OK I am still confused on the prop/engine Reply with quote

Maybe this is off topic but I think when you get more familiar with your 22 you will be happy to cruise in the 20 to 14 mph range unless you are on water like glass. Think of the 22 like your Harley easy does it. Very Happy
D.D.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally when a twin is run as a single, it will be "over propped"--that is lugging at WOT. The reason is, that when the boat is at WOT with twins, it will be on a plane.

If you propped the 40 hp engine correctly for a single, it would have a lower pitch prop, than when propped for twins (and planing).

Back to rainger's C-Hawk. Another issue is that the boat has bottom paint and enough marine growth to slow the boat down. Another reason to do nothing with the props, until the bottom is cleaned, old paint sanded smooth, or stripped, and a nice smooth coat of new paint applied. Painting may slow the boat a knot or two at the high end, but usually not enough to be an issue.

Also looking the photos of C-hawk, the props have some of the paint on the tips missing. I cannot see if there are any dings. I carry a hammer and coarse metal file, " just in case". It might pay to have these props scanned and trued--or you may not feel it is worth the trouble, if the blades are smooth, and no obvious sign of damage. Although it may not be as critical in the lower horsepower outboards, a scan will be sure the blades are properly pitched, and are identical, as well as balanced.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rainger

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Generally when a twin is run as a single, it will be "over propped"--that is lugging at WOT. The reason is, that when the boat is at WOT with twins, it will be on a plane.

If you propped the 40 hp engine correctly for a single, it would have a lower pitch prop, than when propped for twins (and planing).

Back to rainger's C-Hawk. Another issue is that the boat has bottom paint and enough marine growth to slow the boat down. Another reason to do nothing with the props, until the bottom is cleaned, old paint sanded smooth, or stripped, and a nice smooth coat of new paint applied. Painting may slow the boat a knot or two at the high end, but usually not enough to be an issue.

Also looking the photos of C-hawk, the props have some of the paint on the tips missing. I cannot see if there are any dings. I carry a hammer and coarse metal file, " just in case". It might pay to have these props scanned and trued--or you may not feel it is worth the trouble, if the blades are smooth, and no obvious sign of damage. Although it may not be as critical in the lower horsepower outboards, a scan will be sure the blades are properly pitched, and are identical, as well as balanced.

Yea I was taking into account the bottom. I have since pressure washed her and tomorrow she goes up on blocks and will be sanded and a new coat of Micron CSC is being applied.

The props have no dings just missing paint but I will be sure to have them looked at.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT Shocked another C-Hawk Question How can that be?
I had twin 40s on my first boat (Fishtales)- good power and great economy. When I got my current boat (C-Hawk) I installed a single 90 with a 9.9 kicker. The 90 was a dog - no power and a heavy drinker of fuel. After 4 years of arguing with Honda, I finally told them to sell the 90 and installed twin 50s - yes, back to good power and great economy.
I hope you are able to figure out the best combination engine/prop and get out there and enjoy your boat.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
rainger

City/Region: Victoria
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Hawk wrote:
WHAT Shocked another C-Hawk Question How can that be?
I had twin 40s on my first boat (Fishtales)- good power and great economy. When I got my current boat (C-Hawk) I installed a single 90 with a 9.9 kicker. The 90 was a dog - no power and a heavy drinker of fuel. After 4 years of arguing with Honda, I finally told them to sell the 90 and installed twin 50s - yes, back to good power and great economy.
I hope you are able to figure out the best combination engine/prop and get out there and enjoy your boat.

Hey thanks. Yes I did look at your boat but I had to name her C Hawk anyways.

Like you I am a die hard Hawk fan. In one of my other threads you will see my Seahawk tattoo commemorating the super bowl win. BTW the Lombardi trophy and some Hawk players are here in town today. If it is not too crowded I am going to try to get in to see and take a picture of the trophy.

I also had a sailboat in the 80s I named Seahawk. Thank you for allowing me to share the name with you.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Okay, that is the way I have always understood it. So: Run boat to WOT/planing with both engines running and prop so that the RPM attained in this situation is what is called for (probably something around 5,600 - 6,000 optimally, although I don't have the manual for that specific engine to hand). Then the engine won't run as efficiently as a single, but you have to choose one or the other, and if you wanted a single... Wink
rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat Very Happy as Sunbeam, I get fastest and smoothest ride with the single 50 trimmed all the way in. The wake is far smoother and well sculpted than when trimmed out, even just a little. Forward loading is light, and things may change as I accumulate cruising gear up there.

My real question: on a correctly propped motor, can you reach proper RPMs at WOT if the boat is not moving?

I would be surprised if you can, just as I am surprised that a single 40 would be given the same prop as each of a pair, if twinned. Likewise, I can't see how a single 40 propped with a 14 is equivalent to a pair of 40s spinning 7s.

I have these doubts because I can't help but think that the hydrodynamics of a prop must change as forward motion increases. Am I out to lunch, here?
Rod

Rod & Jane; Victoria 18 sloop (Vickie) - gone; Islander 26 Bahama sloop (Callisto) - gone; WW Potter 19 sloop (Spring) - gone; Com-Pac 16 sloop (Bummer II) - gone; Nimble 24 yawl (Chatelaine) - gone; Nimble Vagabond cruiser (Loligo) - gone; C-Dory 22 Cruiser (NoddyBleu) - gone; Com-Pac 19 sloop ('Winkle) - gone; San Juan 24 sloop (Loligo^2) - gone; C-Dory 16 cruiser (Luna); Catalina Capri 18 sloop (Later)
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcnabb wrote:
I'm in the same boat Very Happy as Sunbeam, I get fastest and smoothest ride with the single 50 trimmed all the way in.

Hey, at least we're not alone! Very Happy I too plan to tweak things and record data, as I suspect that when things are better set up one should not get the best efficiency when trimmed all the way down/in. Otherwise why even have a range of adjustment? I have seen where some riggers put a wedge on the C-Dory transom to effectively "start things" further out/up, but then most C-Dorys don't seem to have (or need?) this.

rjmcnabb wrote:
My real question: on a correctly propped motor, can you reach proper RPMs at WOT if the boat is not moving?

I wouldn't think you should rev like that not under load (i.e. in neutral), but maybe you are thinking tied to the dock and in gear (hence the dock lines are the load?). I've only tested my boat (and bigger inboards) while actually out on sea trial.

Sunbeam
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcnabb asked: My real question: on a correctly propped motor, can you reach proper RPMs at WOT if the boat is not moving?

No. Props "unload" as the boat accelerates, because the water the back of the prop pushes against is moving away from it, so that the prop has an easier time than if the boat is stationary in the water. This why folks here insist that you do your testing with the boat loaded as you expect to use it, and swap out props, looking for one that reaches the accepted WOT figure for best use of the engine's power capability.

The suggested pitch and diameter figures are a ballpark guess, because propellers differ, some being more cupped than others, and others having slightly different foils. It's trial and error. But, all is not lost, because you need at least one spare anyway, and if you load the boat more heavily one day, you might need a slightly different pitch to reach WOT.[/b]

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm in the same boat Very Happy as Sunbeam, I get fastest and smoothest ride with the single 50 trimmed all the way in. The wake is far smoother and well sculpted than when trimmed out, even just a little. Forward loading is light, and things may change as I accumulate cruising gear up there.

Yes, some folks like to run bow down into chop--you will not get the best fuel efficiency--and that is your choice. I have found that the bow down does not give the fastest speed, nor WOT in many boats. Bow trimmed down into chop--good, when cross seas or down seas, not so good. The 16's may ride differently than the 22's

Quote:

You probably will not be able to reach full WOT in a boat that is not moving. This is why special wheels are made to run the engine up when in a test tank. You will have a lot of prop slip if the boat is not planing, and running a single. You want minimal prop slip! The outboard prop is easily subject to slip--ventillation and other inefficiencies by prop position related to surface of water and the hull. The effects of over propping and running at high speed with an outboard are not immediately as obvious as in with larger inboards and large props, because of the amount of slip fairly easily developed by an outboard.

Larger boats, especially inboards will demonstrate the differences in props far more than outboards, where the props are limited in diameter by the size of the clearance in the foot. For example in my large cruising boats I might swing a 26" by 20" inch prop, with a 3:1 transmission with 90 hp. The slip will be low, and the speeds will be low. VS a 13" x 15" prop in the C Dory. You also have to be a bit careful, since different outboards are geared differently in the lower unit. For instance the 150 Suzuki will be running a 20" prop when 150 Honda may be running a 15" prop (with a slightly smaller diameter) , and the speeds will be about the same.

Tug boats are propped to achieve max pull at a very low speed. Large props, large reduction ration. Some boats have controllable pitch props to get the most efficient use of the prop at all speeds.

Quote:
I would be surprised if you can, just as I am surprised that a single 40 would be given the same prop as each of a pair, if twinned. Likewise, I can't see how a single 40 propped with a 14 is equivalent to a pair of 40s spinning 7s.

Of course not. No one has claimed that cutting the pitch in half is correct. In fact, the difference in pitch is no where half. But remember what is said about planing, vs displacement speeds, and the "work" against hull resistance that is involved in each mode.

Quote:
I have these doubts because I can't help but think that the hydrodynamics of a prop must change as forward motion increases. Am I out to lunch, here?

See above. The dynamics of a hull in displacement mode vs planing mode, or semi displacement speeds are going to be different. As for the hydrodynamics of props--I refer you to two books by David Gerr:
The Nature of Boats: Insights and Esoterica for the Nautically Obsessed, and The Propeller Handbook: The Complete Reference for Choosing, Installing, and Understanding Boat Propellers. Both are excellent reads. I strongly recommend owning both books, if you are interested in the dynamics of boats mooving thru the water. The hydrodynamics of a prop which is slipping 5% is far different than a prop which is slipping 40% (100% if the boat is not moving).
The outboard prop in a C Dory should be somewhere about 10% to 12% slip. You may be surprised by the decrease of slip and increase of speed with decreasing the pitch.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Quote:

[color=darkred]Yes, some folks like to run bow down into chop--you will not get the best fuel efficiency--and that is your choice.

I can't speak for rjmcnabb, but on my boat, running with engine trimmed all the way down/in is the most efficient. But, it is not particularly bow down (to make it go bow down, which I do in chop, I use the trim tabs). What we (at least I think it's both of us) are talking about is running with the engine trimmed all the way down/in -- but the boat not (necessarily) bow down.

In other words, I'm going along, bow is not "down" but motor IS trimmed all the way down/in. I check my speed and RPM. Now, if I trim the motor up at all, I lose speed, and the engine sound gets noisier. If I trim it back to all the way down/in, I gain speed and the boat gets quieter. If I want to put the bow down I use the trim tabs, but again, the best setting for the engine seems to be all the way down/in. There is never any "better" setting for speed vs. a given RPM than motor trimmed all the way down/on (regardless of trim tab settings). I mean, at speed and not idling along, of course.

(If I want to get the bow down, say for chop, then I trim it that way with the trim tabs. But still with the engine all the way down/in for best efficiency (as gauged by speed for a given RPM.)

Now, I'm not saying this is how it should be, in a perfect world. Because when there is a range of adjustment on something, to me it's never right to always have it all the way to the end of the range (or why have a range?). My suspicion is that as currently mounted, the Permatrim is further beneath the surface of the water than it should be. Once I get that up closer to the surface I'm guessing that engine trim will once again be useful; but if not then I would consider a transom wedge.

Does this go along with what you find, rjmcnabb? In other words, running with the engine trimmed all the way down/in is not only the most efficient, but doesn't necessarily mean your boat is "bown down"?
rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, Sunbeam - I believe we are on the same page; perhaps we should say we (you and me, anyway) are trimming for "stern up," not for "bow down." Our boats seem to differ: 16 vs. 22, I have no tabs, and a set of Doelfins ( two triangular foils that are not in the prop wash, as is your Permatrim.) What I find, running in smooth water, is that I can start with middle trim (on the trim display), set the RPMs to get me the speed I want, and let her settle down. The bow wave will come back somewhere under the v-berth (hard to be sure where, but judging by my feet and the view out the pilot's window,) and the wake/wash will bubble up close to the stern and stay close in. The kicker leg will be heavily dunked. Being alone, I cannot tell how deep are the Doelfins. When I bring the trim in, the bow wave cleans up but doesn't move a lot; the wake moves way astern, the quarter waves appear and move out, the leg of the kicker comes out of the water, and the din diminishes. At modest speeds, GPS determines that speed across the bottom increases 4-5 kt (say, from 15 to 19 kt) without any change in RPM. I take all these data to indicate that the stern is rising without depressing the bow.
I hope this is the running attitude that I have admired in some other small boats - very level, small bow wave, absolutely no rooster-tail, minimal wash, and apparently going like a bolt from hell. Still the kid in me.
Next comes trials with higher speed so I can get near WOT, but not scare the juice out of me. And then some longer distance runs to check fuel consumption. I have to weigh my tanks to do this, but limited tests last year gave me 2-4 lb/hr under a variety of conditions. Some of that might be getting up to some pretty good mileage (10-15 nm/gal.) Shocked I am dreaming on!
Carry on, Sunbeam.
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: