The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cooking on board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat.jack

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-renity
Photos: C-renity
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Cooking on board Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
We're looking to set our boat up for grilling on board. We're looking at picking up a Magma, propane Kettle Grill. I'm trying to determine the best location, and method to mount the grill, and how you store the grill when not in use. So if someone has experience setting up one of these grills, let me know your experience with it.

We're also thinking of a small cook-top-single or double burner unit. Reading through some of the posts, it sounds like some folks have used the inexpensive butane stoves. Any recommendations on these units?

Thanks for your help.
Jack Howell
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a magma grill for a while and used the rod holder attachement on the gunnel. That worked ver well for mounting. The magma grill on the other hand wasnt my favorite. It seemed to have only two settings.. full blast, or off. It was also very sensitive to wind. Maybe they have gotten better since then. We're now using a weber Q100 that is actually really amazing. We cook with it sitting on the cooler, it has rubber feet so doesnt slide around. When underway it stows underneith the dinette table.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used the Magna kettles since they first came out ( the company was close to where we lived in Long Beach CA.) We do see many short comings of the round kettle--and recently switched over to the rectangle Magna grill. It is much better with cooking surface and heat regulation--plus you don't have the darn lid flopping around….

There are a number of different prices of the magna rectangle: we went with the cheapest, and the "fine grate for fish" We also got the set small table which hooks on the front.

We have used rod holders, railing holders, and currently are using the set which goes thru the deck--inboard of the lazarette. We also have a flat piece of Starboard "table" which I made to fit into this fitting--and will probably add a 3rd in the deck fitting, so I can clean fish when standing in the water, or put the grill further aft--probably on the stb side aft of the lazarette cover. The in the deck, does had a lock for from side to side motion.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking on board Reply with quote

pat.jack wrote:
Hi Folks,
We're looking to set our boat up for grilling on board. We're looking at picking up a Magma, propane Kettle Grill. I'm trying to determine the best location, and method to mount the grill, and how you store the grill when not in use. So if someone has experience setting up one of these grills, let me know your experience with it.

We're also thinking of a small cook-top-single or double burner unit. Reading through some of the posts, it sounds like some folks have used the inexpensive butane stoves. Any recommendations on these units?

Thanks for your help.
Jack Howell

I use the Magma Trail Mate BBQ. It is mounted as far away from the gas as I can get it. Pics in my album under Mods.
In the cabin we use a single butane stove if we are just useing one pot or making a quick coffee. But like everything else, the cost of the butane cylinders is going up and up. If I need two or three burners at the same time, I use the Wallas as well as the butane.

Martin.
Lizarry

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Anytime Baby
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a magma kettle on our boat redid the mount as we like to fish , found a slick mount at west marine it fits into my scotty rod holder mount after you pull the rod holder . you can position it a few different ways..... works great .
bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a magma grill and have found it to be wanting in so many ways! Apologies to all you magma fans, but mine is on the scrap pile.
I have a platform over the motor well on which I set a coleman fold and go grill, and also a single gas burner . We cook extensively on Carpy and I have found this combination far superior to the Magma. Thet stow much more conveniently than that big round thing with its big mounting contraption and both are far less expensive than the Magma. Pictures under modifications in my album.

Just my 2cents.

Carpy
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Magma was disappointing. On high or off. We ended up selling it.
Spike

City/Region: Kent
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here as Colobear, still have it come and get it if you want it.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add us to the unhappy magma kettle users. We had one and it corroded quickly and cooked like the others say. We them moved on to a Cobb grill which is neat and flexible but to slow for us in the end. The little fold and go grill is looking like the hot ticket to us. I wish it ran on the butane canisters many of us carry for the single burner stoves we love to use.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another former Magma owner. With our sailboats, it was almost mandatory. I could never find a good place for it on the C-Dory, and we got tired of incinerating good steaks. Confused Sold it. We bought a Weber that I thought I might use on the boat, but it takes up a lot of room (Q120). Since we are at the dock most of this summer (with shore power), we are using a George Foreman - small, efficient, easy to clean, and it does a decent job.
DuckDogTitus

C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanted a magma, but honestly on a 22 I wanted less clutter too. we cook everything on the two burner stove top in the cabin. and I mean everything. we've cooked steak, fajitas, peppers, eggs, maybe even pancakes and whatnot. its one less thing to stow away and I'm kind of a minimalist, I really only want what I need on the boat when I'm going on a big trip. especially if I will have guests on board.

when we upgrade to a 25, or a ranger, then we might do more accessories like that. for now its hard enough to keep the extra clutter out. just my 2 cents. Beer

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a magna, but it's the rectangular shaped grill. It does take up a lot of room on the C-Dory 22, so I only usually take it to use on day trips boating around here. (I use a rod holder setup towards the back of the cockpit to hold it when in use, but store it under the dinette table when underway.) Otherwise, I like my Kiss 1 burner stove, and also have a small electric skillet for when shore power is available. (On my recent long haul out west, I took a campstove along in my vehicle as a backup to the Kiss stove.) Colby
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Magma Newport, which is rectangular, and so far are reasonably happy. We did not like the Magma kettle style, and dumped quite a few internal parts overboard by accident, all at some considerable expense! I will have to take a picture of how the Newport is mounted, we had a piece fabricated to mount in front of the motorwell, that is where we have both our starboard table and the Magma. Boat is not here right now, hoping to bring it home tomorrow from Blaine Marine (a long story). Time will tell of course...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Aurelia

Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would like to grill a bit on the boat boat but the 19 is a little short a overall space so compact is best. Has anyone used one of the "grilling" pans with or without lid on a stove with any success? Or a stove top grill?

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Professional-Weight-Searing/dp/B0009T6664/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1404393746&sr=8-13&keywords=grill+pan

http://www.amazon.com/Chefmaster-KTGR5-Smokeless-Stovetop-Barbecue/dp/B000O8YIZQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1404393746&sr=8-14&keywords=grill+pan

I also came across the existence of this grill but am having some trouble locating one.

http://butanestoves.blogspot.com/2011/08/primus-vidar-bbq-compact-portable-grill.html

This also looks interesting:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Protable-gas-BBQ-grill-double-using_547618135.html
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a little propane camping grill with around 3-4" legs that fold out.it has a clamp on the lid so it stays shut and is pretty compact. We use our rail mount table to put it on and it works well and was about 20$ and we have had it about 10 years, it has made many good meals, plus it isn’t just for the C-dory we use it camping and in the drift boat. Nothing like a hot meal in the middle of winter in an aluminum boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: