The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Baystar Hydraulic steering HC4645H for twins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Baystar Hydraulic steering HC4645H for twins Reply with quote

With the auto pilot out making for a complete bleed of the hydraulic steering system when re installed, I'm considering changing out the hydraulic cylinder HC4600 for the improved HC4600H while it's apart. The HC 4600 cylinder with its being mounted similar to the original telefax mechanical where the steering shaft has to run back & forth through the transom motor support tube makes for the same corrosion & binding problems that can result in the steering locking. The HC4645H mounts to the ends of the motor mount tube making all the shaft movement on the outside & in the hydraulic cylinder solving this problem. The positive part of the HC4600 cylinder has been no leaks resulting in seal replacement in its 9 seasons of use.

Both these hydraulic steering cylinders were made for the smaller Honda Motors & the HC4600 was the cylinder used by the factory when they started the option of hydraulic steering for the twin Honda 40's.

Has anyone else already made this conversion or installed the HC4645H with twins. Any information could be helpful. It appears to me one motor still must be taken off the transom to remove the HC4600 & installing the HC4645H with less room involved with twins, but would sure be good to know if it actually can done without removal.

Jay

Big Mac

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Mary Ellen
Photos: Mary Ellen
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les at EQ installed this hydraulic steering system on our boat with twin 40hp Hondas. He had to remove one motor to install the system. I do not think their is any way around this option. Hope this helps. We have been very happy with the BayStar system. Wonder why we waited so long.
ckcpony

City/Region: Pony
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Amy Jo
Photos: Tonka
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, I installed a Baystar system this winter and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to use the HC4645H cylinder ( the steering link between the twin Honda 40s wouldn't work no matter how I tried to hook them up ). I found a new HC4600 cylinder on E Bay and used that instead. I didn't have to remove an engine to install it. I removed the rod that goes into the tilt tube on the port end of the cylinder and there was plenty of room.
If you figure out how to use the newer style cylinder with your twins I would be interested in how you did it just in case I ever need to replace my outdated cylinder.
Clint
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Mac, I didn't think there was anyway around this option either with the measuring I have done & like you knew the motor had to be removed to take out the old mechanical steering & I really didn't know If it was necessary or not for installation of the hydraulic. Now glad to hear Clint was able to remove & install the HC4600 without removal of motor & hoping his twins were mounted the same distance apart as mine, so clearance for removal of shaft works for me too. Clint, I too have difficulty seeing how the set up in this diagram http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/810050-A.pdf allows for the mounting of twins & am nervous about purchasing the kit & not being able to make it work too. A while back, I saw a new HC4600 cylinder for sale very cheap on E bay, but refrained due to wanting to solve the problem of the shaft on the HC4600 hanging up inside the motor mount pivot tube. If I'm able to do this on my own, from anyone else or through research I will let you know how.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/964610C.pdf & checking out again my present connections to the HC4600, I think I can make the adaption to the HC4645H work with enough confidence to order the kit. Time will tell if its overconfidence or not.

Jay
ckcpony

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
After reading this http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/964610C.pdf & checking out again my present connections to the HC4600, I think I can make the adaption to the HC4645H work with enough confidence to order the kit. Time will tell if its overconfidence or not.

Jay

Hi Jay, I've been wondering if you had any luck in using the new style cylinder with your twin Hondas?
Clint
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint,

Not yet. I had the parts sent to where we are in Colorado with new grandchild, so won't be working on installation until we get back home & if all goes as planned that's about a week away.

Jay
ckcpony

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, hope it goes well for you,
Thanks Clint
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished successfully mounting the HC4645H hydraulic steering cylinder today. There is no binding while steering with either motor fully up or down. I already had the extended Honda steering connecting tabs on the Honda motors for the HC4600 cylinder & with out them I don't see another way to connect the linkage beween the motors & even with them the connecting plate on the HC4645H cylinder had to be reversed. It was also necessary to connect the linkage to the other motor & the clyinder to the same point on the mounted motor connection tab. It was a long job due to also replacing all the other componets of the hydraulic steering along with re installing the S1000 auto pilot.

In the process of reversing the HC4645H connecting plate one cylinder end had to be taken partly off & though the directions said be very carely not to let it come completely apart due to possible damage to packing seal when putting back together, I managed to anyway, so will be checking more then usual for leaks on that end.

Its wonderful knowing, I no longer have to be concerned about the rod jammimg in the one motors support tube like I have had to the last 12 seasons with either the old mechanical steering or the HC4600 Hydraulic. I'm also very pleased & relieved my gamble of trying to make this work payed off because I didn't take Clint's problems with doing it lightly.

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to read that you took a (researched) gamble, persevered, and got it done! Sweet Thumbs Up

Just curious (maybe I missed this in your description), but did you end up having to remove one or both of your engines? If so how did you go about it?

I've taken care of all the holes on my transom except the motor mount ones, so I'm looking at somehow lifting the engine so I can get in there and do it. I think I"ll add some sort of transom "washer" plate too (like the Ocean Pros you show), and also raise the engine up a couple holes "while I'm in there." Ironically, it sounds like the shop that I'm going to have repair my tilt mechanism has to remove the engine to do that (but of course I can't do my epoxying then). How aggravating to have to do it twice in a row! At any rate, I was thinking of renting a small engine hoist (no handy beams around), and just wondering how you went about it if you did remove an engine.

I'm going to be following you down the hydraulic steering upgrade path, albeit without the added challenge of the twins. Not sure if that's going to happen before Powell though - I may wait until afterward so there is no pressure to meet the departure date.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,

When I switched from mechanical to hydraulic steering in 2005, I had a boat shop make the switch, just due to the motor having to be removed to do it. Because of the poor job done by them then, this time I was planning to do it my self even with the removal of the motor if necessary, but fortunately it wasn't. The only part of the old HC4600 cylinder that wouldn't easily come out was the shaft going through the motor support tube & it was a hollow tube easily cut with a hacksaw.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I forgot (between when the thread was started and now) that you already had hydraulic steering (I'll be switching from cable). SO irritating to have to re-do a "professional's" work and find that it wasn't just time/wear-and-tear, but a faulty or sloppy original job Angry This is mostly why I do my own work (not really because I enjoy it overmuch, but because I want it done right and don't want to be worrying about hidden flaws).

Sweet that you were able to do it without removing the engine(s) Thumbs Up
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had that or a very similar setup for 8 years and 1100 engine hours with very little problem. I replaced the seals on the ram connecting the two engines and will replace seals at the helm over the winter. Baystar was easy to deal with and had good instructions. By the way if you look carefully in your instructions you should see a list of compatible fluids so you don't have to buy the super expensive Baystar hydraulic fluid (I use an aircraft brake fluid that is on the list at less than 1/2 the cost.) If needed I add fluid at the helm using a baby ear syringe, (it's like a racquetball with a point) that is convenient for me. I keep about a pint of fluid on board as a spare.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry,

I like the idea of the baby ear syringe for topping off & did read about the alternative oils that can be used, but here in our remote Wyoming location it's not easy to get, even via internet. I had previously bought 2 qts of the Seastar fluid on EBay for a good price & the complete new steering kit came with a couple more, so have plenty for the future.

Seastar/Baystar changed over from the HC4600 cylinder to the HC4645 about the same time I switched to hydraulic steering in 2005 & if I remember correctly I could have went to the HC4645 at that time, but in my switch over research, I talked to the C-Dory Factory & they recommended I use the HC4600. I would have been saved much agitation if the HC4645 had been installed at that time instead. Is your trouble free hydraulic cylinder the HC4645 & was it installed by the factory? If so, they must have made the change right after my inquiries to them.

Jay
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 4600 and was installed byEQ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: