View previous topic :: View next topic  
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos. That looks very different. No cleats, guess one would have to practice clove hitches a lot. Wink Is that finger as skinny as it looks? 18-24"?
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a pinch I have fashioned a fender board from an oar and some extra dock lines.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Aurelia"]Makes me wonder why Marine Trade associations don't have an active floating dock initiative./quote]

There is a whole other reason-and that is during hurricanes floating docks go off the tops of pilings, and out to sea, if they survive. Often the pilings are still OK, and the fixed docks just need to be "reset". We have floating docks at several marinas in Pensacola. Even those in protected bayous are damaged by hurricanes--and they are many times more expensive than fixed docks. Marinas, even city owned, have to make money!

Quote:
Is that finger as skinny as it looks? 18-24"?

Yes often those pilings are 8" or even less. A 12" piling is heavy and harder to set. Thus the docks are often very narrow, since the stringers are bolted, screwed or nailed to the pilings. They are not always entirely stable, because a jetted piling may have some "wobble factor". It can be a balancing act.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
maryvmcclain

City/Region: Summerlin
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes C-Cakes, the little fingers are very narrow and often rickety... and some are only about 3 ft long... We had a hard time getting in and out from the usual spot under our bimini as the finger didn't reach that far forward.

We have one of those line hooker/looper things like Bob shows but it doesn't help when the pilings are 8 foot higher than bow... or if you aren't quick enough to catch it as you motored by. You really need someone standing on the bow while the other person is backing up, I didn't see one person single handling, even if they had a big boat that could reach the pilings from the bow... even with bow thrusters.

I also want to mention that in our boat, we only have a single outboard, and it is difficult to back up with any amount of control. I never knew that that is a good reason to have twin outboards...so if the question comes up again about one vs two motors, I'm for sure going ask if the person is going to be an east coast or west coast boater!

The good news is that at every marina (except one) we were met by a helping hand. And we have learned to ask if someone can come out and meet us, and, so far no one has refused or been too busy. Even with someone to catch the line, though, getting tied to those distant front pilings is a nerve wracking experience!

Thanks for the pictures that were posted... now just imagine the boats being about 1/3 the size of the ones drawn or photoed... and the piling being very tall and far away from the bow!

Mary

maryvmcclain

City/Region: Summerlin
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes C-Cakes, the little fingers are very narrow and often rickety... and some are only about 3 ft long... We had a hard time getting in and out from the usual spot under our bimini as the finger didn't reach that far forward.

We have one of those line hooker/looper things like Bob shows but it doesn't help when the pilings are 8 foot higher than bow... or if you aren't quick enough to catch it as you motored by. You really need someone standing on the bow while the other person is backing up, I didn't see one person single handling, even if they had a big boat that could reach the pilings from the bow... even with bow thrusters.

I also want to mention that in our boat, we only have a single outboard, and it is difficult to back up with any amount of control. I never knew that that is a good reason to have twin outboards...so if the question comes up again about one vs two motors, I'm for sure going ask if the person is going to be an east coast or west coast boater!

The good news is that at every marina (except one) we were met by a helping hand. And we have learned to ask if someone can come out and meet us, and, so far no one has refused or been too busy. Even with someone to catch the line, though, getting tied to those distant front pilings is a nerve wracking experience!

Thanks for the pictures that were posted... now just imagine the boats being about 1/3 the size of the ones drawn or photoed... and the piling being very tall and far away from the bow!

Mary
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When single handing, cockpit controls would make it possible to get to the pilings with reasonable control. Other wise it would be difficult in the C Dory when single handing.

Every marina is different, At Panama City we go bow in. Getting out of the cockpit at any marina, especially with high docks is much easier if you open the zipper at the back of the cabin house, and put in an extra hand railing, on the outboard aft edge of the cabin top, which gives you something to grab onto as you come out of the cockpit. Note the second extra hand rail forward also..

When you have to use this type of set up on a regular basis, you adapt and learn the techniques. It certainly is intimidating for the first few times.

Backing with a single engine is a technique learned. Same as backing in single screw inboard boats--there may be times when you give a short burst in forward to kick the stern around. The only twin outboard boat I have owned was the Tom Cat--and it backed very well--but the hulls are like a keel and the motors are widely set apart. I am sure that twin outboards would be slightly better moving the stern, But not as good as twin inboards.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems there's always something to interfere with docking: not enough space,
too much space (you in a slip for a larger boat), current, wind, lousy weather,
etc, etc.

Logic tells me to not go in unless I'm reasonably confident/experienced with
the scene and conditions. Don't be afraid to call the dock master for assistance.
When you're slipping next to another boaters pride and joy, don't be surprised
if they show up to assist you, if not for compassion, to protect their own.

And, use your dinghy if you need to tie off a hard to reach piling after you first
are somewhat secured in the slip.

Aye.

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:

When you're slipping next to another boaters pride and joy, don't be surprised if they show up to assist you, if not for compassion, to protect their own.

Aye.

This is certainly true! But what if you have a Volvo I/O and they don't hear you coming? Last year I arranged for a transient slip for a week while on holidays. The slip they gave us had a Meridian on the other side of the finger. The first day we launched and returned to port about 10:30pm. There were 3 couples in the cockpit of the Meridian. I pulled into the slip and they didn't even know we were there until I stepped onto the finger dock! The look on their faces was priceless!! Shocked Shocked

Regards, Rob
Foggy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It usually takes all I have to deal with "what is" vs "what if".

Aye.

Grandma used to say, "Hypotheticals can be endless."
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the East coast, it seems that every marina wants us to back into their slip. This is ludicrous. We simply will not do it. We tell the facility we are going bow in, and to this date, no one has argued with us. If a docking finger is too short, or there are fixed docks, we won't stay at that facility. We are not going to risk damage to our boat or someone else's boat by backing in.

If the wind is coming from a favorable direction, or there is little wind, and the current is slight, then it is easy to back up a C-Dory into a slip (or our Marinaut.) However, as most of you know, in adverse conditions, it is next to impossible to control a boat while backing up unless you wrap a dock line around a piling to pivot the boat into position. Otherwise, our boats act like a big weather vane. I can't tell you how many people I have seen at Greenport lose control of their boats when backing into a slip when the wind and tricky currents were adverse. Just two week's ago, I had the foresight to go out onto my stern while a large 30-foot, twin engine boat tried to back in next to me. Had I not been there, his bow would have crashed into my stern-mounted kicker. Last year, another large boat tried to back in, and the current and wind turned him sidewise in his slip; his anchor narrowly missed hitting our cabin roof. He, too, had a twin engine boat. I think that where experience comes into play is realizing the limitation of one's boat in adverse conditions, and making the necessary adjustments.

We find there are plenty of favorable docking arrangements and facilities all along the East Coast. We just have to do the necessary research.

Foggy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Nile wrote:
On the East coast, it seems that every marina wants us to back into their slip. This is ludicrous. We simply will not do it. We tell the facility we are going bow in, and to this date, no one has argued with us. If a docking finger is too short, or there are fixed docks, we won't stay at that facility. We are not going to risk damage to our boat or someone else's boat by backing in.

If the wind is coming from a favorable direction, or there is little wind, and the current is slight, then it is easy to back up a C-Dory into a slip (or our Marinaut.) However, as most of you know, in adverse conditions, it is next to impossible to control a boat while backing up unless you wrap a dock line around a piling to pivot the boat into position. Otherwise, our boats act like a big weather vane. I can't tell you how many people I have seen at Greenport lose control of their boats when backing into a slip when the wind and tricky currents were adverse. Just two week's ago, I had the foresight to go out onto my stern while a large 30-foot, twin engine boat tried to back in next to me. Had I not been there, his bow would have crashed into my stern-mounted kicker. Last year, another large boat tried to back in, and the current and wind turned him sidewise in his slip; his anchor narrowly missed hitting our cabin roof. He, too, had a twin engine boat. I think that where experience comes into play is realizing the limitation of one's boat in adverse conditions, and making the necessary adjustments.

We find there are plenty of favorable docking arrangements and facilities all along the East Coast. We just have to do the necessary research.

I agree. Didn't we all learn to "Row your boat gently down the stream..."?
Translation: Be Captain of your own ship with due regard for others
without bucking the flow of things. Conclusion: People will be people.
You be what you want to see in others.

And, those with big boats and big bank accounts don't always have
lots of brains.

Aye.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Boy, a new to me reason for twins Laughing Laughing Just being able to control your boat when backing.

As some of you know (sans Friday Harbor) I often back in, and rarely have anyone else on board or on the dock for assistance. I didn't know backing a single OB was so hard to do. (Now I've opened a can of worms haven't I?), but with the twins, it's a relatively easy process done by using independent forward and reverse for each side.

Now back on track. Yikes, those east coast, fixed docks are intimidating.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Oh Boy, a new to me reason for twins Laughing Laughing Just being able to control your boat when backing. ..with the twins, it's a relatively easy process done by using independent forward and reverse for each side.

I haven't backed a boat with twin outboards, so curious: When I had trouble in those east coast slips (or other places) a big part of it was the wind taking the bow. I could "steer the stern" but not the bow so much. Can you control that with the twins when backing? I can imagine how you could have one engine in forward and the other in reverse, for some rotation effect; does that make it a lot better than backing with a single in terms of the wind taking the bow? Or how do you handle that.
Foggy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Europe, and some places in the Caribbean, backing to a sea wall, or main dock
without finger piers, is commonplace and required. Tying off broadside to the
wall simply takes up too much space. No pilings to tie to near your bow and often
just boats already set on each side, stern to. Here setting a bow anchor going in
stern first is essential for all boats; sail, twin and single power.

So setting a bow anchor before going stern to in a slip with a short finger pier
could relieve some stress for those with apprehensions.

Try it. You may like it.

Aye.
Foggy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
hardee wrote:
Oh Boy, a new to me reason for twins Laughing Laughing Just being able to control your boat when backing. ..with the twins, it's a relatively easy process done by using independent forward and reverse for each side.

I haven't backed a boat with twin outboards, so curious: When I had trouble in those east coast slips (or other places) a big part of it was the wind taking the bow. I could "steer the stern" but not the bow so much. Can you control that with the twins when backing? I can imagine how you could have one engine in forward and the other in reverse, for some rotation effect; does that make it a lot better than backing with a single in terms of the wind taking the bow? Or how do you handle that.

Backing with twins is easier for me than with a single engine. The easiest boat
to back with twins would be short with no windage forward. Boats with higher
topsides forward (C-Dory v Bass boat) catch any breeze, act as a sail and
increase the required talents of the helmsman. Hence, we see boats subjected
to windage, single and twin powered, with bow thrusters which help
maneuverability significantly in tight quarters especially with wind and current.

Aye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: