The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Portable Ice Chest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiddlersgreen6

City/Region: Riverside, Ca. & Melbourne Beach, Fl.
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Don Quixote
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Portable Ice Chest Reply with quote

Hi C-Brats-- I'm trying to find a good quality portable ice chest, that can be used as both an interior step and an extra seat. Being a 16' cruiser my cockpit space is very limited. I had found one at an independent sporting goods store, very well built and solid with non-skid on the bottom, looked like it could also be used as a live well,with 2 drains,but at 40 gallons it was to large, and of course they didn't have a clue where it came from. I suspect that It may be from Thailand. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help-- Rich
robl132

City/Region: Pittsburg, Calif.
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Poodie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been considering this one when I'm just cruising. It may in the way when fishing but the size seems right.

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_10880_BM_Swing_Back_Cooler_Chair_Seat_3000.html
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been considering this Icy-Tek version recommended to me by a hard core fishing guy. It holds ice up to 9 days in 90 degree heat and he uses a bigger version for his catch.
Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
russoboat

City/Region: Southampton, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Porgy Man
Photos: Porgy Man
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Portable Ice Chest Reply with quote

Hi Rick, I that bench seat that was shown, I use it as my main seat, I have a 16' Angler, when they built my Angler last year I wanted no seats so I could install this bench seat. I'm 6' 5 so I wanted more leg room, I installed this ice chest and use it as both a drivers seat and a fishing seat. Works well as both, also an Ice chest, so If I could do it on a 16; Angler I'm sure you can do it on a cruiser. I'll try to post some pictures so you can see how I installed it.
fiddlersgreen6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both types of coolers seem practical, does anyone know anything about the models built in Thailand? I e-mailed a company over a week ago and have not heard back. Holding ice for 9 days is important since I'm planning on running the Tombigbee River from Kentucky Lake to Mobile after the Erie Canal cruise in Sept. The Fran-Sea has good cooler and step on board but it is electric. Thanks Rich
fiddlersgreen6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: portable ice chest Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help: I checked out your suggestions, I went with the Icy-Tek because of the solid constrution and they happened to have a smaller version than the 40 qt., they have a a 25 qt. 18"x16"x14" just the right size for a 16' C-Dory. Rich
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiddlersgreen6: Thanks for bringing this up. I needed to find a cooler a bit tuffer than the one I had been using to fly BBQ. These icy-tecks look nice, and some flexibility on the sizes too. ....and ... i like the idea of seats that are coolers.... you can store stuff in them, use them for just about anything. Also... on your treck down the TN Tom, keep me posted. You did not make the Nashville gathering, but have family and spend much time in Nashville myself, and.. if you plan a few side trips, when you get about 40 miles north of Mobile, hang a left and travel back up the Alabama River if you want some time alone and see river with very very impact from man. 3 locks between the Mobile/AL River fork to Montgomery, AL. Bill and El have a spill on their trip when I went down and met them after they locked thru Selma... but.... know your fuel ranges and plan accordingly.
Byrdman on FreeByrd, Montgomery, AL
fiddlersgreen6

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman: The best deal I found for the Icey-tek coolers was through Boater's World Marine Centers, mainly because of their free shipping and no sales tax policy. Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: