View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Magma Grill Flame Tamer Reply with quote

As those of you who have Magma Grills aboard know, they give off a terrible amount of heat, even at the lowest setting. So after enduring several years of scorched and overdone entrees, we purchased a "Swiss Energysaver" by Kuhn-Rikon. It is a 9" disc of, perhaps 1/4", coated aluminum designed to even out heat on a gas kitchen range. We remove the flame spreader/cap on the Magma and replace it with this disc and find that it greatly tempers the heat and carbonized entrees are no longer an issue. It retails for $34.95 and in our opinion is worth every penny. We got ours at a Sur La Table store.
Bon appetit,
Al & Myrna

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al-

Nice idea! Is this the baby?

http://www.popeilfamilystore.com/kr2081.html

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
MOOSE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is. And the Popeil sisters aren't bad either!
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Magma Grill Flame Tamer Reply with quote

MOOSE wrote:
As those of you who have Magma Grills aboard know, they give off a terrible amount of heat, even at the lowest setting.
Al & Myrna

Al, what model you got Confused So far with the new Magma (catalina) low works pretty well.
How hot is it there when yer cookin?

I was in scorching, searing 73-degree weather in PW Sound last week and was so glad to have a way of cookin outside Thumbs Up for a change.
I can see gettin one on mine, when I want a slower bottom shelf cook... like dogs and them delicious big brats Smile Star "dogs and brats" sounds a little strange on here huh Crook Disgust Mr. Green Beer

Hey TyBoo old buddy old pal Xmas Naughty Can these old cooking threads be placed into the new Galley forum ? Confused and how about a galley photo album for our cookin weaponry
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Magma Grill Flame Tamer Reply with quote

Redƒox wrote:
Hey TyBoo old buddy old pal Xmas Naughty Can these old cooking threads be placed into the new Galley forum ? Confused and how about a galley photo album for our cookin weaponry

Sure thing. I found a bunch more food type threads and moved them over, too. It seems the name B~C is connected with most of the food related discussions. You would never think he was so skinny.

A photo album has been put in with the Tech Library albums, and is linked from the Forum Index page in the description for The Galley forum. Or, you can just click this.

MOOSE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've just got the basic, 14" round Magma, Greg. It's fairly easy to store, and now with the flame tamer, it satisfies our outdoor cooking requirements perfectly.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for cooking gear... yall might give a go to the Turbo Cooker and Turbo Cooker Jr.. The Jr. is much better size for our boats, ......basically a dome shaped steamer cooker... does a great job....especially when re-heating foods that you really want to keep the moisture and flavor in instead of cooking it all out. I have had my turbo cooker jr on order for the last 4 or 5 months and it came in while I was on the Blakely Island. Great size.... Yes, before any of you ask.... it was about 330 am when I called the 1800 get it now phone number on TV.....but I have served many a great meal out of these puppies. and yes.... I ordered one of those rotisseries too.... Man, you talking about a fine meal in the cold winter on the lake... plug that puppy in with about a 5 pound chunk of pork tenderloin..... WOW.... makes you want to slap your Grandmother it is so good.....and I'd have to dig mine up.

thanks for the help on the little aluminum gizmo for the Magma. Same issue here and I keep her as a back up grill.
Byrdman
Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny Laughing

We been through two of the original turbo jobs... they served us well. They were huge, but we liked-em that way Thumbs Up Cookware is always evolving on the RF Idea luv tryin new stuff, but nutins better that barby'n baby Smile Love (not this 'barby Lips ) Laughing Embarrased then i digress Smile

Mike, thnxmon Thumbs Up I'll pipe some pix into that new album. Went through all my old stuff the other day (my RF one here) trimmed it down some, worked on editing.

Al, I still have to check out yerstuffmon Shocked Don't mind me harrasin it do ya ... Laughing Beer Mr. Green
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thru a couple of Turbo Cookers... They are OK, but, as for baking, one needs to understand that the Turbo Cooker uses water in the bottom, kind of like a super heated steamer, so things are pretty moist... not much crunchy crust, etc.. I like a bit of brown on my corn bread, pizza, etc.

John
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when I was getting used to eating charcoal steaks... I bet I could make a better one.... something that would hold beer...and defuse the heat, while marinating ....at least that sounds good... I bought one of those defusers a while back.... and that really does help but the darn real key would be to find some way to lower that flame thrower they use for a burner...

Joel
SEA3PO
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
I've been thru a couple of Turbo Cookers... They are OK, but, as for baking, one needs to understand that the Turbo Cooker uses water in the bottom, kind of like a super heated steamer, so things are pretty moist... not much crunchy crust, etc.. I like a bit of brown on my corn bread, pizza, etc.

John

If you're cooking with steam, basically, and it's not under pressure (as in a pressure cooker) your temperature inside can exceed very little the temperature of boiling water at atmospheric pressure, which is 212 degrees F.

Isn't most baking done in conventional ovens with dry heat from 275-425 (really 325-400) degrees?

Sounds like basically the Turbo Cooker is a steamer pot of some sort. Steamed rice and vegetables, anyone?

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf, that is precisely what I was trying to say... everything is WET in the turbo cooker. It will cook cornbread and strudel, etc., but, to my mind, not bake them.

I prefer things to be browned on the surface or edges, whether an omelet, mac and cheese, slice of ham, etc..

John
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Magma grills Reply with quote

I have the small round Magma on the C-Dory and the larger rectangular Catalina Magma on a sailboat and I hadn't noticed either of them being too hot at the low setting. I feel they both cook at a nice, controllable rate. Mine are between a year old and three years old. Maybe older models used to be too hot?

I've been thinking of trying some baking inside the grill with the lid closed and some kind of metal plate under whatever container I decide to try for baking.

I thought I'd put a remote reading thermometer probe inside the grill with the baking container and try regulating the temperature by propping the lid slightly open if necessary.

Not sure when I'll get around to trying this. So many ideas, .... so little time.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: