The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Raymarine EV 100 auto pilot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've grown tired of sending nmea 0183 input from one brand to another and not having it work. Each side denies it's their problem and that's how far it goes. No help, just a stone wall. They can't even tell me what their circuit is like: "ooh, that's technical talk."

So on the Raymarine autopilot in Journey On, I run it without any external signals. The model I have has a fluxgate and doesn't need GPS. I also assume that the newest Raymarine autopilot, with their wonderful 9 axis sensor (and I only know of 3 real axis plus time, or 4 axis,) doesn't need a GPS to hold a course.

Somewhere between the one on Journey On (9years old, just like Hunkydory) and the latest one, Raymarine autopilots needed an external GPS signal. So, if the one you're getting does need GPS, I'd buy a Raymarine GPS to make sure they could work together.

Boris

PS I hope this is coherent. It's just that I get so pi--ed when I think about it.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,

We purchased the Raymarine Sportpilot with the flux gate compass just before the S1000. The first one they sent, the flux gate compass wouldn't work & we were in preparation for a cruise, so they sent a complete replacement, which for me even though the compass worked was completely worthless as a auto pilot, so it too was returned. The S1000 with its GPS only guidance has been an excellent auto pilot for us considering its price. The only real draw back being as we don't do a lot of fishing was the excessive noise of the pump especially at displacement speed & having to do many changes of the settings for different speeds & conditions in order to maintain good control. The S1000 too had a defect right out of the box which caused me much grief & talk with techs over the phone. I finally solved the problem on my own with a last ditch effort before giving up & that was reversing the + & - GPS signal output from the brain controller to the Nobletech software on my notebook computer. They had come from the factory in the reverse order of the S1000 diagram instructions.

Jay

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my part of the trouble shooting, I did several steps.

1. Pick a north-south heading and then activate the pilot in 3 modes.
A/ Push Auto and keep going straight ahead.
B/ Set a cursor out ahead and push go to cursor
C/ Set a waypoint out ahead and then set it in go to waypoint.

2. Repeat the above steps on an east/west course.
A/
B/
C/

3. Repeat the all the above steps while traveling in the opposite direction from the previous trial.

Repeat the above steps and transmit on the VHF in low, medium and high channel, (5, 22, 68 for instance.) I did these because I was having a "GPS data loss" alarm coming up on the Raymarine plotter when traveling in AP on mode, and transmitting VHF at times.

When I took the boat down to Rodgers Marine in Portland, they repeated my testing, and then removed and replaced the individual components of the system until they found the culprit, by eliminating possibilities.

It was way more than I could do on my own, and the fix is well worth the hassle. I spent the last weekend on the boat, and used and love the new EVO-1 Auto pilot. In fact, I went from Fort Warden all the way int Mystery Bay State Park at displacement cruise speed without touching the helm wheel. I only used the AP and it's adjusting knob. (For those who don't know, it is a shallow, and bendy channel, with four curves, 2 big, and 2 short and sharp.) And it worked nicely.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S1000 arrived back from the Raymarine service center yesterday sent by Fed X express two day air (when they called informing me it was done & ready to ship I had told them I was leaving the house in three days & received a reply of no problem it will arrive in time) with a new pump, rubber anti vibration & noise spacers & a complete set of hoses & fittings & like I mentioned before a check out with ok on the control units all with no charge. This is quite amazing to me & definitely a reason to consider Raymarine for further purchases. Now I need to get the new HC 4645H Cylinder kit ordered & it all put together before testing the whole system out at Lake Yellowstone & Powell, so we know it'll be good for Alaska next year.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear on the great service Jay. Since Flir bought the company things have improved substantially. It needed improvement! Best of luck on the install. George
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread, as I can't find another one I used a month or so back, and I'm thinking seriously of getting the Ray Marine EV-100 for my boat. Just looking for more comments, good or bad, or advice, for this particular autopilot. I see it on Amazon now for just over $1300. And for another $250 or so, I can get a converter to allow it to talk with my Garmin GPSMAP 840. If you have it, are you happy with it? How (where) did you mount the various components? Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also be interested in the experience of others with the EV 100/200. What is this converter which allows one to use the RayMarine, with a Garmin--and why?
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
The converter I was mentioning is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZPOP1Q/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2NZNDWIGEAQV0

I called RayMarine to ask them if their EV-100 would work with my Garmin GPSMAP 840xs. I would like to be able to hook the autopilot up to routes or waypoints I might be following from my plotter. I'm pretty sure it has the NMEA 2000 connection, but it definitely has NMEA 128. When I first spoke with RayMarine I was thinking my radar hooked thru the 2000 connection, but remember now that it has it's own Ethernet connection with the 840, so I think I still have a port available for 2000. Anyway, the RayMarine rep said this converter would allow the two units to communicate. I'll need to check more into that. But the converter would allow me to hook up RayMarines seatalk (NMEA 2000) to my Garmin's NMEA 128 wires. I have two 128 connections available on the Garmin, one of them already wired to my VHF radio for communication with it for the AIS and DSC.

Guess this would be another question I would place here...if anyone is running the Raymarine EV-100 with a Garmin plotter. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still doing some soul searching on this autopilot thing. I really don't want to spend over $2000. This is a recent question/answer conversation I had on Ray Marines Tech Forum:

Me: I am looking at purchasing the EV-100 auto pilot for my 22' C-Dory Cruiser. It's powered with a Merc 115hp 4 stroke EFI outboard with seastar hydraulic steering. The helm p/n is HH5271 and ram at the outboard is HC5345. I also have the Garmin GPSMAP 840xs with an open NMEA2000 jack. (It also has NMEA 183 available.) Will the EV-100 work on my boat, or do I need the larger EV-200. Can I hook the Ray Marine autopilot up directly to my Garmin plotter, or do I need the converter to run it thru the 183 system? Thanks.

Ray Marine Expert: The RAM capacity of the HC5345 is 8.34 cubic inches, which is on the upper end of the RAM capacity limit of 9 cubic inches for the EV-100 and the .5 liter hydraulic pump. Being at the upper limit, the autopilot will be working at capacity which will affect the life of the autopilot system, I would recommend going to the EV-200 Hydraulic system for your vessel.
The Evolution autopilot system is a Seatalk NG/ NMEA 2000 interfaced system. I would recommend connecting the Garmin GPS/Plotter to the existing Seatalk NG backbone cabling (open white port) that comes with the Evolution autopilot. You would require a Seatalk NG to DeviceNet adapter spur cable either male (A06046) or female (A06045) depending on the NMEA 2000 connector on the Garmin unit.

The next thing I did was check pricing, and found that the EV-200 is about $1400 more. I'm mostly comparing systems on Amazon and looking at complete systems. That is they have to include the hydraulic pump. (Many systems do not come with the pump.) This puts the EV-200 on a very comparable price range with the Garmin's GHP 10, (Actually the Garmin may be a little less. Garmin lists at $1700, but then you have to buy the pump.) I like the "shadow" drive on the Garmin, but other than that haven't done much more comparison between the operation of the two as the cost has been my priority. I'm still waiting for a new reply at Ray Marine, but I"m assuming that one does not use the full capacity of the hydraulic system, unless turning the steering stop to stop; in which case the autopilot is probably not using that full capacity either if used in calm waters with small course changes. Colby

P.s. this is the link of that forum if anybody else wants to follow it:
http://raymarine.ning.com/forum/topics/ev-100-6?commentId=6492755%3AComment%3A251927&xg_source=msg_com_forum
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good info colbysmith. Like you an autopilot is on my wish list.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the expert's reply at Ray Marine's forum on my question regarding service life or would the pump really need to work to capacity. Colby

Heavy Seas, turns lock to lock, slow trolling speeds conditions like these will have the system working at maximum capacity. The RAM capacity is a number on the amount of hydraulic fluid that the pump can handle, and when you are moving close to the capacity of the pump, you are working the pump close to it's peak at normal operation. There is no way to give a life of a product, that isn't a complete guess. It is just a rule of thumb if you are working a product close to it's maximum capacity, and using the same product at normal capacity the one at normal capacity will last longer. Raymarine will warranty the product for 2 years and add a 3rd year when you register the product online.
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
This was the expert's reply at Ray Marine's forum on my question regarding service life or would the pump really need to work to capacity. Colby

Heavy Seas, turns lock to lock, slow trolling speeds conditions like these will have the system working at maximum capacity. The RAM capacity is a number on the amount of hydraulic fluid that the pump can handle, and when you are moving close to the capacity of the pump, you are working the pump close to it's peak at normal operation. There is no way to give a life of a product, that isn't a complete guess. It is just a rule of thumb if you are working a product close to it's maximum capacity, and using the same product at normal capacity the one at normal capacity will last longer. Raymarine will warranty the product for 2 years and add a 3rd year when you register the product online.

Hello Colby,

As you point out in your Raymarine Tech Forum post, the "near capacity" use of the EV-100 pump is only during lock-to-lock steering events which will likely be VERY RARE. So, although the pump is "rated" at 9cc and your Seastar helm is just below that, the volume of fluid pumped is considerably LESS THAN the capacity of the pump. So...I disagree with the assessment that the EV100 pump will be "working at maximum capacity." It would seem MOST of the time the pump will NOT be working near it's capacity.

Since the cost is nearly double for the EV200 compared with the EV100, I'd give the 100 a shot. When I was shopping for mine, the best prices where from Hodges Marine (hodgesmarine.com)

Regarding your question about the N2K to 0183 converter...don't bother! The EV systems are all N2K and your Garmin will interface seamlessly with it. I have a EV200 connected to an (older than yours) Garmin 740 by way of the Devicenet cabling referenced by the Tech Forum. You will PROBABLY want the Female/female cable so ensure you buy the correct one (that is, your Garmin has a MALE N2K receptacle for the FEMAle plug to engage). You will need to make a SeatalkNG (RAymarine's version of N2K) network. After you work with the N2k cabling/networking, you will NEVER want to bother with the TINY wires used in the NMEA 0183 protocol.

I REALLY like my EV200 by the way.

Fair Winds,

dave
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, That's the kind of info I was looking for. Also, since I do not have any thing hooked up to my Garmin's NMEA 2000 system at this time, is there any other connectors or "boxes" I would need, or just the one cable we are talking about. (Which BTW, using the part numbers Ray Marine gave me, looks to only be 15" long. Not sure if that would be long enuf. And if later in life I ever decided to hook up any of the smartgauges Merc uses, would I still be able to hook into the NMEA 2000 system with some kind of "T's". Lastly, why did you go with the EV-200 rather than the 100? Colby
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Colby,

The Garmin and Raymarine devices will be connected together into a 'network,' so shorter cables may not be a problem.

This link (https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/2ulwt6ye4394g6yk3m0t/1/1787214721) should take you to a page where you can download the SeatalkNG Reference Manual from Raymarine. It's a lot of extraneous info but the diagrams helped me the most.

In a nutshell, an N2K network, whether SeatalkNG, Simrad, Maretron, etc will have:
1. Terminators at each end of the backbone
2. The network is powered in ONE location, usually 12 VDC
3. And I forgot the 3rd item

This is a sample N2K network:

It helped me to sketch out on paper the network, so I could determine how many 'T' connectors, 5-way connectors, backbone cables (and lengths), and spur (or drop) cables. As far as I can tell, ALL of this N2K cabling and fittings is seriously overpriced. It works SO WELL, however, you will forget all that when you see your chartplotter talking to your autopilot, radar, VHF, etc.

david
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like then really for now, if I get the EV-100, all I would really need is one backbone cable, and two tees. One for connection to my Garmin, and one for the autopilot. Unless I can just hook the one cable directly between my Garmin and any Autopilot for now while I don't have any other items to plug in to that network. I'll go check out the link. THanks again. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: