The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Raymarine EV 100 auto pilot
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Raymarine EV 100 auto pilot Reply with quote

I installed a Raymarine S1000 on the Hunkydory in 2005 & overall it's worked very well for our cruising, but last year at Lake Powell it quit working with indications the pump was the problem. I have never liked the the excessive noise this pump made especially at displacement speed cruising, so instead of purchasing a original Raymarine pump went in search of a more quite but effective pump. This led me to purchase a Hypro PR06 directly from the factory in the UK last January. I had a very difficult time getting the air bled out & later have found it to be a common problem by many who have installed this pump, which is the one sold with the Raymarine ev 100 auto pilot now. I have succeeded in getting the air out, but have never been able to get a auto learn accomplished with it on the S1000 or have it hold a course for anytime over a few minutes on plane in any sea conditions or under choppy conditions at displacement speed no matter the setting I tried & they were many over the course of our just finished month long cruise in the San Juan's & Gulf Islands. I was told by the rep at Hypro the pump should work great with the S1000 though I never consulted Raymarine, which no doubt was a mistake. Either the S1000 & this pump are not suitable or I have more than a worn out pump wrong with the S1000, so I'm now looking at alternative auto pilots & being as I already have the pump for the ev 100 it seemed to be the best option. Now I'm finding the deals for a complete kit are much cheaper than the parts ordered separate, excluding the pump by approximate $1275 vs $1750, which makes the previous purchase of the pump alone a very negative benefit. Also, I use a Garmin 545 GPS signal for the S1000 & it's NMEA 0183 signal needs to be converted to NMEA 2000 to have a chance of working. I say chance because though I've read a converter like this linked here http://www.blueheronmarine.com/Actisense-NGW-1-STNG-NMEA-0183-to-Seatalk-NG-Gateway-7985 should work, I've been unable to verify it from anyone who has actually done it & one source saying he couldn't make it work with a Garmin 545. This has lead me to consider the Garmin GPH10 auto pilot that I know will except NMEA 0183, but it is more expensive & I would have to remove again the present pump.

So, does anyone know for sure if the converted NMEA 0183 will be accepted by the ev 100 or have other thoughts that might help my decision making on new auto pilot purchase. I'm leaning toward a kit purchase of the Raymarine ev 100 & signal converter leaving me with a spare pump, but the Garmin GHP 10 with its shadow drive, wireless remote availability & readily accepting the NMEA 0183 is very attractive except for loss of present pump & much higher price.

Jay

Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

I started a thread called AUTOPILOT since I know zip about them. I've been sitting back and watching the responses for now. Your experience is exactly the kind of useful info I need. I appreciate your post, though I'm sorry your having problems. I'll be interested in how things progress for you. Thanks.

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James

It's good to see my post was helpful to you & I would have posted it on your thread, but didn't want to hijack it with my dilemma.

Jay
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't provide any info here, but I will be reading this (and Molly Brown's) thread with interest as I would like to fit a new autopilot (this will be concurrent with a steering upgrade as I currently have cable steering and the compatible Raymarine Sportpilot - state-of-the-art 2002!).

I, too, am sorry you are having the issue and finding inconclusive info so far (frustrating!). Glad you posted about it here though. Maybe we can all learn and your autopilot get fixed up too.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to wonder and ask why you thought it was the pump that needed replaced and not the control unit of the s1000? many of the s1000 and the st6001 had mother board ( not sure that is the right term) problems. I had the same problem you describe and fought it for way to long before calling raymarine. I sent in the unit and it was back to me free of charge in under a week. No more problems and it was still working a two years?? later when I sold the boat.

Second question? what are you going to do with the s1000 unit??? I need a auto pilot for the 27.

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunshine, I had one of those era Sportspilots before the S1000 & found it to be worth less than no auto pilot at all, so can fully appreciate your desire to upgrade & information needed do so for best outcome.

Tom, Last year was my 9th season with the S1000 auto pilot & it had worked well all these years until last fall at Lake Powell when on a point & set course the motor would not activate to hold the course after a few minutes of operation unless I helped it with the manual wheel. It would only take a nudge on the wheel to start the pump working again. No alarms or any other indication of improper function from the brain or S100. Of course this doesn't mean for sure it isn't a problem with the S100 or the controller, but being as I've had many hours of hard use on the pump & it was to me the most likely culprit & I would prefer a more quiet pump anyway decided to replace it first.

Now after seeing how much additional cost it is to change to either a Garmin GHP 10 or the Raymarine ev 100, I've decided to send in both the brain controller & S100 for check out & repair if needed. Before doing this I'm presently trying to find out if the Hy-Pro pump, I purchased is indeed compatible with the S1000. Raymarine has been a real pain to get in direct contact with a tech rep. Today it's been impossible, so I'm in the process of joining their technical forum for answers on compatibility.

The S100 wireless unit can be set up for contact with the ev100, but other than that if I decide to give up on the S1000, it's yours.

Jay
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory/Jay,

I've had really good service through the Raymarine repair service. I've sent the computer in, an anemometer, etc. etc. They've repaired it at a nominal cost and the repaired items have worked as good as new. It seems to me that they don't really repair the component, just replace the insides. Of course, with all the integrated circuits, that must be the cheapest. Worked well with me at a very nominal cost.

Here's the Raymarine Service page. Toll free number (if that means anything anymore,) in and out of service and customer support which has gotten better over the years.

Boris
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,

It's good to hear of your good repair experiences with Raymarine. The telephone number you gave is the one I've been trying to get through to a rep for two days. Today I left a message & also posted on the Raymarine forum. I'm waiting now for feedback. I will be sending in the S1000 control brain & S100 wireless controller for check out & repair if confirmed the new pump is compatible.

Jay
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it isn't fast. I try to get through the summer and send it in during the winter. and wait.

Boris
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a call back from Raymarine tech & they say the Hy-Pro PR 0612 pump is not compatible with S1000 unit, though I still don't know exactly why, being as they have not tried it & couldn't give details. They did suggest, I send it in along with the S1000 & S100 components. They will check out the Raymarine ones & repair if needed. Plus they said, there was a fair chance of them exchanging my new pump for a Raymarine specific one at no cost to me as the pump I have now is a more expensive & heavier duty pump. Before purchasing this pump from Hy-Pro, I did a lot of internet searches with indication from them and Hy-Pro direct, that it was compatible. Now I don't really know what to believe, but if I can get the S1000 back up & running with minimal more cost will be happy to have it working again. One thing for sure is I'm getting a lot better at pump changing & bleeding then I ever wanted to be.

Jay
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, Good luck with the pump replace. As mine was functioning, that was one of the components that was not replaced. I am liking the Evo-1 for now. Seems like it is doing the trick.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raymarine really came through. I received a call from them today with results of their having checked out the S1000 brain controll & S100 wireless control with both checking out good. They also exchanged the Hy-Pro PR0612 pump, I had bought from that factory, straight across for an original Raymarine standard pump for the S1000. All this including return shipping with no charge to me with the added benefit of I now know for sure it was the pump not working properly instead of an electronic problem with either controls. Did I mention this is the 9th season on this unit & it's definitely been well used.

Jay
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can folks who had problems with their Raymarine Auto Pilot units detail how you did the troubleshooting.

I have an Autopilot system that is currently not functioning properly. I would love to get this fixed right away, but not sure how to even begin the process of knowing which component is causing the error.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience there's very little a layman can do. I suggest you do what I should have done in the first place & that's to just send the S1000 & S100 into Raymarine for trouble shooting. As Tom stated most of the time one of them is the problem & they'er very easy to remove & ship. If they check out good then take out & send in the pump. Next or perhaps first the auto pilot isn't going to work if it isn't getting the correct GPS input signal. Mine is set up to use with two different GPS units, so after trying both of which have been used for a long time with my S1000, I felt confident in them not being the source of my problem.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those who have the S1000 auto pilot & do not like the noise of the standard Raymarine pump & so are considering replacing with a less noisy one my experience perhaps could be used as a cautionary tale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: