The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Need help wiring 30amp Shore Power system
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

One more thing, I believe that if the neutral is attached to the ground on the boat side, you have serious potential for increasing galvanic corrosion - correct? E.g. the return current from the A/C hot can now leak into anything connected to the boat's battery ground (which will likely include the zincs and other metals on the boat). Am I wrong on this?

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, you are correct. This has another serious effect--and that is that anyone swimming who touches the metal gets a chance of a shock--or worse. Also even swimming close to the boat, may get a shock. Other boats in the vicinity can also have serious electrolysis issues.

There are a number of ways a boat can be miss wired, and this is only one of those, which has serious effects. Connecting hot to neutral is a common mistake, which gives the same effect as this error. In some ways more serious, since it will always be hot, not just when an appliance or light is turned on. The ground and neutral is also another common mis-wiring error.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, thanks to Bob for hanging in there with this wiring novice. He was absolutely right, I closed the circuit to the AC neutral by grounding it, which is WRONG! You're right as well Roger.

After I saw Bob's diagram above, I realized the AC neutral loops back and saw I had a AC neutral terminal that hadn't been used and figured that it's purpose was to close the circuit. The problem is, the wiring schematic supplied by Blue Seas does not show where to terminate the AC neutral wire off the dual bus bar. Once I thought about it, it made common sense to connect it to that terminal. I ran up to the boat during lunch, disconnected the AC neutral wire from the negative bus bar and reconnected to the neutral terminal on the AC panel and voila, all is working and is now correctly wired.

Once again, thanks guys for hanging in there with me. Now I can accept your compliment Mark since it is now wired correctly and more importantly, safely. Below is the "correct" wiring diagram.

Peter
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
Thanks for posting your corrected diagram. It is a puzzle to me why Blue Seas did not make it clearer on their diagram that you had to connect the AC neutral to the boat side of that main switch?

Good job, and we can now rest assured that the boat is safe!
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread will help me a lot for my install. I originally thought i would not need the bus bar to instal due to not having DC power I see now from this thread that I will in fact have to install the bus bar. also will the bus bar need to be tucked inside the box cover too or leaving it exposed ok to do? I got the blue sea back cover for this and not sure they will both fit behind it?

originally i looked at this diagram and figured it could be ran without a bus bar
http://amit.nightmarebeforechristmas.net/files/resources/panel_wiring_schematics/990343760.pdf
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Jake. No I didn't put the dual bar inside the back cover, too tight. You can buy clear plastic bus bar covers from Blue Seas.

Feel free to ask questions now that I finally got it figured it out.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: