The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Navman Fuel 3100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Navman Fuel 3100 Reply with quote

Our Navman Fuel 3100 LCD started acting weird a couple of years ago, and the display is basically unreadable most of the time. So I did a bit of Googling on the topic. Seems there is a ton of information on the net, and just about all the Navman 3100 displays have failed. There are some YouTubes on repairing the display yourself, but it is not for the faint of heart. So I was glad to find this place that you can send your unit to for repair and return for $60. This seems a lot less expensive than any of the other options! I am curious if any other C-Brat has a Navman Fuel 3100 and whether you too experienced a display issue. I don't think I have read anything about it here, but this issue is on a LOT of other boating forums.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pat. We've got one if these on our 22 with the same problem! Looked at the you tube video and you're right about the difficulty. I'll try this repair place!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Wigeon

City/Region: Bellingham
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, I wonder if the manufacturer is willing to help out in a situation like this? I would certainly hope so. Larry
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a discontinued item, so I kind of doubt it.

Wigeon wrote:
I'm curious, I wonder if the manufacturer is willing to help out in a situation like this? I would certainly hope so. Larry
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman is no longer in business and Northstar now owns the name. There is no support regarding the issue of the display to circuit card continuity. I have made the repair by follow the instructions on You Tube, but unfortunately, the zebra strip is had to find and buying volt meters to rob the parts is dicey, as I have purchased several and found that the strip was no long enough. I have a combination on Navman and Northstar on my sailboat and also have several spares in my garage, but still struggle to keep them going. Another source of the same instrument is from Advansea, but again, the old problem with Navsea's film strip for continuity between the circuit card and the display is still suspect.
Good luck in your ventures and if anyone finds the old zebra strip readably available, please share the information.
Best regards,
Steve Baum

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy in the link in my original post also sells DIY kits with the correct Zebra Strip and full instructions.

srbaum wrote:
Navman is no longer in business and Northstar now owns the name. There is no support regarding the issue of the display to circuit card continuity. I have made the repair by follow the instructions on You Tube, but unfortunately, the zebra strip is had to find and buying volt meters to rob the parts is dicey, as I have purchased several and found that the strip was no long enough. I have a combination on Navman and Northstar on my sailboat and also have several spares in my garage, but still struggle to keep them going. Another source of the same instrument is from Advansea, but again, the old problem with Navsea's film strip for continuity between the circuit card and the display is still suspect.
Good luck in your ventures and if anyone finds the old zebra strip readably available, please share the information.
Best regards,
Steve Baum
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Thanks for pointing out that the folks in your link can get you the correct zebra strip. I had had several failed attempts by buying voltmeters on-line, like those that were described in the You Tube videos and ended up with strips that were too short for my Navman / Northstar instruments.

One other note to be aware of is that the instrument housings have 4 screws that hold them together. The screws go into molded plastic that has little support and is prone to crack from age and poor quality of support around the molded thread base.

Best regards,
Steve Baum
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if you would like to have your Navman Fuel 3100 repaired and returned to you rather than trying to do it yourself, send your unit and a check for $72 ($60 for the repair and $12 for FedEx return) to

Tom Stevens
Indigo Electronics, Inc.
105 Pipe Kiln Court
Williamsburg, VA 23185

Mine is going off to Tom today!
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine will go likewise as soon as I have a chance to remove it! Actually, it's only an hour or so away, I could drive it down there!

Thanks again Pat!

Charlie
Socrateur

City/Region: Danville
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

My 3100 started flaking out about two years ago like yours. At first just a couple of segments on the display disappeared, then it got progressively worse. I spoke with Tom Stevens on the phone and he sounds like a stand up guy, so I will be sending my unit off to him. I could fix it myself with the repair kit, but don’t feel like hassling with it. Tom said the turn around for the job is just a couple of days. Thanks for posting this info!

AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link!!!!!!

I'll definitely be getting my NavMAN 3100 FUEL fixed now. I've had it forever on the Arima, and it has started losing the digits on the display. I thought I would have to get rid of it, and with the NMEA 2K hooked to the Suzuki, I could get fuel flow/economy readings on the HDS8, so it was kind of redundant anyway. Now I will be able to move the gauge from the Arima to the new Cape Cruiser with carb'd Hondas (no NMEA output available Angry) and get my fuel economy readings again. I'm so excited!!!

I just don't know if I want to send it in, or do it myself......... Confused

EDIT: just ordered the DIY kit...

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!

My NAVMAN works again!!!!!

Yesterday (that's right... YESTERDAY) at about 8am my time (noon his time) I called Tom at Indigo Electronics in Virginia and placed and order for a DIY repair kit for my NAVMAN 3100 FUEL unit. The kit was delivered to my house in Alaska TODAY at 1pm. Outstanding!!

When I got home from work, I picked up the package off my doorstep, pulled the NAVMAN head unit out of the Arima, and proceeded in on the repair. After perusing the instructions for a bit, I gathered some Acetone, Q-Tips, scissors, a 9v battery, and a tiny belt sander (Work Sharp knife sharpener). A Dremel with a sanding drum would be another good choice, but the belt sander was within arms reach...

All told, the repair took right at an hour, from reading the instructions, to gathering tools, to making the repair, to clean up. If I had to do it again, I'd say a half hour - tops.

I found the instructions for the DIY kit to be well written and thorough (a breath of fresh air, considering all the unchecked Chinese gibberish that passes as instructions these days), with plenty of pictures. There are a couple of possible pitfalls, but the instructions provide suggestions for avoiding them. I'd say that just about anybody should be able to fix their NAVMAN unit with this kit. I went slow, and didn't have any issues at all.

Obviously, I can't give a long-term review. But, I'd definitely recommend this DIY repair to anybody that wants their NAVMAN back, and also wants to save some time and money. And - if you're just not brave enough to pull your 'dead' NAVMAN apart, I'd certainly consider sending the unit off to Tom. He seems to be a good guy, and the fix seems to work as advertised.

Repair kit - $35
Overnight shipping to Alaska - $10
6 Q-tips and a few drops of Acetone - $0.50
Time spent making the repair - 1 hour
Having my precious NAVMAN 3100 fuel flow meter back up and running.......... priceless. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: