The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fitting the Standard Garhauer Davit for lifting a dinghy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
John, Our current 22 has the factory floorboards in the cockpit, and the area where I put the ball for the bottom support was in a non cored area.

In boats where it was cored, I put in epoxy plugs, and screwed into that. For a slanted C Dory hull '"floor" You have to be careful to not drill too far! , and you have to make a base to allow for any taper, or bevel--a shim type of block, as I used on the deck of the current 22.

Bob

Yes, I am very worried about drilling too far.
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gauhauer has a good product. Depending on your application, they will also supply main poles of different lengths (we needed a longer pole to lift the kayak high enough to load atop the cabin). We also needed a somewhat longer arm on the circular support, to keep it vertical. Garhauer was able to do both with no problem.

Best,
Casey&Mary

Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We installed a Gauhauer several years ago & have been very happy with the workmanship & performance. We custom ordered a taller support and a longer horizontal arm, to reach over the center of the cabin top. It is a little clumsy rigging & lifting the dingy, but it saves the back. The critical measurement is the distance between the bottom of the lifting hook and the cabin top. Although I ordered a taller upright, I still had a clearance problem. So, i ordered a longer upright. Gauhauer changed the diameter of the tube so now I have a 65" lower tube that doesn't fit the upper tube. Oh well. 😞
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two weight limits and thus two tube sizes. I had the larger on the Tom Cat (and had a trailer hitch mount made for it--the one on the current 22 is the smaller, and the hitch mount doesn't work---so anyone want a hitch mount for a larger Davit tube?

The moral is look up what tube you have now, or when you order.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
I recall in the past you have talked about using a tackle for recovery in a MOB. The weight limit on the Gerhauer Davit is not enough to lift a very big person. Do you think it would work for that in an emergency? Thanks!

Because I was where I was
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two models of the davit, and the basic difference is the tubing diameter--The smaller tubing is rated at 100 lbs, and the larger is rated at 150 lbs. The rest of the davit seems to be pretty much the same.

In an emergency, I would pick up a person. I would not consider unless it was an emergency. For the 150 lb davit, I think it would be reasonable for a 200 lb person, and the 100 lb davit, a 150 lb person.

I am sure that there is a considerable safety factor built in these davits, and that the weakest links are the tubing itself, the upper attachment and the support for the arm. You can hoist using one of two methods--one is thru the davit arm, to a jam cleat on the body of the tubing, and the other is thru a cam cleat on the upper arm. I would use the latter for hoisting a person, since it puts less down force on the arm out beyond its pivot point.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time has gone by and we have used the davit for several years--it is now improved, and is a very easy operation, can be done by one person--but slightly easier with two. No heavy lifting:

Below are 3 different views of Thisaway, with the dinghy on top, and davit holding a little of the weight--so no weight on the Bimini bows.

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/albums/Thataway/DSC01575.jpg
[/img]

These last two photos show the final secret of success--a way of lifting, which gets the dinghy up above the roof, and allows for an easy swing onto the pilot house roof.

This is a "spreader bar. It is a 3/4" sq aluminum tubing, with a 5/8" dowel epoxied in the center. This keeps the bar stiff and it does not bend with the weight. To achieve slightly better balance, the dinghy Torqeedo motor lower unit i left in the bow of the inflatable (tied in place.) We start with the dinghy in the water, and attach the spreader bar to the "D" rings (safety straps for the crew to hang onto)--these D rings can be glued to any inflatable--on the inside.) The last photo shows the Caribiner Ring which latches into the D Ring. I then settle with one foot on the deck, and the right leg on the cabin top--behind the davit--this gives me a good advantage to pull with two hands--left above the davit and the right beyond the jam cleat. We pull the dinghy until "two blocked", then swing it over the back, pivoting the aft pontoons over the Bimini, and up against the anchor light stanchion of the Radar arch. The bow then is held up by the davit. The dinghy is held in place with lines form the hand rails. Just as easy as some electrical davits we have owned on larger boats.

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sold our Hobie tandem kayak a couple years ago, so no longer need the Garhauer lift we had mounted on "Dessert 1st." (Pictures in our album.) The lift has been gathering dust in the store room....

If anyone is interested, send me a PM - I'm sure we can come to an arrangement. (Shipping may be an issue, but we can work it out.)

Best,
Casey&Mary
OffLeash

City/Region: SEATTLE
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: OffLeash
Photos: OffLeash
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob...Nice job.
The bar on the dingy is the solution I have been looking for since I did not want the boom to be too high above the boat.
Was there a reason you set the bar beam wise verses forward aft?
Also doe the bar have any impact on the radar?
again...nice job

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OffLeash wrote:
Bob...Nice job.
The bar on the dingy is the solution I have been looking for since I did not want the boom to be too high above the boat.
Was there a reason you set the bar beam wise verses forward aft?
Also doe the bar have any impact on the radar?
again...nice job

It is traditional to have a spreader bar going fore and aft for davit lifting. The spreader bar lowers the point of attachment considerably. In our case, we have to pivot the boat slightly stern up and then slightly bow up as we swing the dinghy aboard. We had determined that the lifting point of these D rings was very near the center of balance. Putting the Torqeedo lower unit made it almost perfectly balanced. The bar is shorter, and can be of smaller material for an athwartship orientation. We could have put another set of D rings down even lower in the boat, but this gave us the clearance which was necessary. The photo was taken just after we had cleaned the boat, so the pontoons were not fully inflated, nor was the keel or air floor inflated.

A small bar, or the davit close to the radar makes no difference, since the Magnatron is about 24" wide. We have mounted radars on masts which were 9" in athwartship measurement, and it made no difference with a 24" magnetron, even though the aluminum mast was only a few inches aft of the rotating magnetron.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm installing a davit on the port side. Question for the brain-trust:

On the base, do I need to thru drill and install bolts/washers/nuts or would screws be sufficient? The area is thick and re-enforced by what I assume is sandwiched wood, but who knows. It's over 1.5" thick. I can't see enough lateral force being applied that screws would not suffice, but...

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=AU-KAI&id=davit_base&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used #10 bolts, over drilled, and put thickened epoxy in, then re-drilled. I also made a base fitting out of "Starboard, to fit the contour of the deck, and have an even base for the davit to rotate. Takes a little time on a belt sander to get the profile correct. I knocked off the top of the diamond non skid pattern to give a better fit--4000 under the Starboard, and the SS ball mount fitting.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a base to level it out of 1/2" Starboard; some fine tuning with a belt sander. I plan on epoxying as normal procedure, since the wood (I assume) is present. I have screws but I guess thru bolting would be stronger. Just trying to be lazy and cheap, I guess.
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Garhauer davit that I will be installing on my 23. It would fit better (more vertical and a little higher), if I could mount the lower ball onto a bracket that would bolt to the side of the cabin wall. I seem to recall someone had a picture of a fabricated bracket, but darned if I can find it again. Anyone remember seeing this pic of the bracket?
olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC Rider,
Here is a mount SweePea made, would work on cabin side

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=SweePea&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=6

Here is one Dr Bob made

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Thataway&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: