The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

I need a new onboard charger
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katkt

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Katie Kat
Photos: Katie Kat
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: I need a new onboard charger Reply with quote

I have had the Guest 2610 on the Katie Kat from beginning until now. When i put the AGM's in, 4 years ago(just changed back to a Napa Dual Purpose), the Charger was still working. Either the age, or not liking the AGM's, has resulted in it not working now.

I looked at one of the other threads here, and some dissatisfaction with Guest, and noticed Bob had gone to this, or at least this brand.
http://www.mastervolt.com/marine/products/chargemaster-12v/chargemaster-12-15-2-230v/

I think this is suitable for a two battery system, which is what is on the boat now. I'm mostly just looking for confirmation of this choice, or maybe another that has proven dependable.

What say Ye?
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: I need a new on board charger Reply with quote

We use a Charles Charger a three bank but we are only using two it's a twenty amp built well not potted. Built in the U.S.A. I bought mine from Defender marine.
http://www.defender.com/ProductDisplay?id=537971. Easy install been free of any issues for a year. It seems some brands of chargers head south after about five years.
D.D.

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: I need a new on board charger Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
We use a Charles Charger a three bank but we are only using two it's a twenty amp built well not potted. Built in the U.S.A. I bought mine from Defender marine.
http://www.defender.com/ProductDisplay?id=537971. Easy install been free of any issues for a year. It seems some brands of chargers head south after about five years.
D.D.

Link wouldn't work for me.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
katkt

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had considered adding a 3 bank unit, incase whoever buys the boat wants to upgrade with an extra house battery. Appreciate the input.

The Defender link didn't work, but with the name, I should be able to get there.
pat.jack

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-renity
Photos: C-renity
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Xantrex charger when I wired my boat for 30A shore-power last summer. The model is Truecharge2, it's a 20A charger that will handle 3 batteries. I also purchased this unit from Defender-but there are other sources for it. It seems to perform well. I purchased it based on a recommendation from someone I knew from work, who's opinion I value. He is a EE and a licensed master electrician with marine wiring experience. He had good experience with Xantrex. They're not cheap-but perform well.
Jack Howell
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=21494&start=0& Reply with quote

I don't know what happened to the link, but The Charles 20 amp 3 bank charger sells for $285.00 from Defender at last look. It has a switch that lets you select wet cell, Gel cell, or AGM batteries. If you use the link to Defender type in Battery Chargers, it will take you there.
D.D.
thataway

C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the Mastervolt 20 amp 3 battery charger, and am happy with it. I gave up on Guests--every C Dory I have owned had a Guest--and it crapped out on me. Victron is also a very good brand--Charles has been around a long time, with good reputation.

One might ask why a 3 bank battery charger with a single engine? I have engine start, house, and a dedicated battery for the chest freezer.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
katkt

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the one your running Bob?
http://www.mastervolt.com/marine/products/chargemaster-12v/chargemaster-12-25-3/#specifications
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had good luck with a simple one bank model from this line that is going strong plugged in for 2.5 years constantly. It maintains two AGM banks through a DC to DC charger on our fishing boat.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/AutoBoat-Batteries-Chargers/On-Board-Chargers-Inverters%7C/pc/104794380/c/104698080/sc/104465880/Cabelas-Advanced-Anglers-ProSeries-On-Board-Marine-Battery-Chargers/1309718.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fon-board-chargers-inverters%2F_%2FN-1100565%2B4294336090%2FNe-4294336090%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104465880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104794380%253Bcat104698080%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104794380%3Bcat104698080%3Bcat104465880#productChart

I am the curious type so I am now using a pair of these for our boat wired one to each AGM bank with a two way combiner. No trouble so far and they have small footprints... but keep them "dry" I have been using a couple of smaller versions for two years on other toys and they work very well with no fans to fail. I have had too many fans fail on me over the years on pricey and cheap chargers for my toys. Fine for short-term use and large outputs but for steady maintenance I like solid state only.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Parts/Batteries/Battery-Chargers/brand/MEGABOOST/Pro-Series-4000-Charger-Maintainer/p/43174_00000

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katkt wrote:
Is this the one your running Bob?
http://www.mastervolt.com/marine/products/chargemaster-12v/chargemaster-12-25-3/#specifications

Yes, it is 25 amps, not 20 as I had thought. Thanks.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever brand you choose it is a good idea to check the output - the voltage regulation on some cheaper models can be suspect. My first onboard charger went up over 16.5v even when maintaining. Destroyed 2 batteries before I figured it out.

Regards, Rob

katkt

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some help regarding the choice for the Charger, which was fine. I always hate making choices. Ordered a Charles 5000sp from Defender Marine.
Thanks for everyone's input on the thread. I appreciated it very much.
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope my guest charger lasts for a very long time. While it might not be the best unit, I'm tired of replacing things. Almost everything at this point is new.
katkt

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbaronace wrote:
I hope my guest charger lasts for a very long time. While it might not be the best unit, I'm tired of replacing things. Almost everything at this point is new.

I'm not sure what caused mine to act up. Don't know if the AGMs might have done it in or not.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent an hour+ last night replacing my existing chargers with a single better unit.

I mounted two cheap units to the boat last year and they did well until recently when one of them stopped putting out any power and the second lost a led light. The units were not specifically rated for moisture so they were a risk in the first place. Well, I liked the form factor but after using the boat for a year I now know that...

1. Our battery bank is bigger than we need 90 percent of the time
2. Our primary charging method when on the boat is using the outboard because we really do move every day and normally for a significant amount of time
3. Our AC charging needs are minimal so I picked a quality unit rated for wet conditions (although the new hatch should minimize that) and only outputting 3.5 amps which is perfect for maintenance of our large bank+ starting battery (through combiner) and still minimally capable of general charging given longer periods of time such as while connected overnight at a marina.
4. Our biggest draws are the trolling motor and re-charging the torqeedo but those tasks are again largely handled by the outboard. Our other non-running time draws are really small such as .4amps for the wallas heater and charging of a tablet and smart phones and LED lighting.

I picked a Genius brand G3500 unit for features and form factor and the lack of a cooling fan which I feel is a mark of antiquated design on a lower power units. It was also important that it will restart on whatever mode it was left on during the last use so I don't have to touch it each time it gets connected to power. It will go straight to AGM large battery each time. I love playing with new chargers.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2034&id=20150114_200037_resized&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: