View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: San Juan Islands June 2014 Reply with quote

Ok, I know I could probably search and read all the past forum threads for this subject, but sometimes it's just easier to start a new and fresh thread not only to get more current information, but maybe also tailor it more to specifics. So here it is! Wink I'm towing Midnight Flyer out to Washington State next month and want to spend about 5 or 6 nights on the water cruising around the San Juan Islands. Specifically visiting Friday Harbor and pretty much the same islands that the ferry's run about. I'm not really interested in messing with customs this time, nor do I have additional days available for this area. (However, I would entertain any suggestions about Lake Coeur d'Alene, as I plan to stop there 1 or 2 nights on the way out. Or any other lakes along the way between Madison Wisconsin and there that would be a worthwhile overnight...) Earlier plans were to have my brother store my car and trailer, but that may not work out, so ideally would like to launch from somewhere reasonably priced that would be a safe location to leave the car and trailer for a week. (That would also have a fresh water rinse.) I'm pretty much a fresh water boater, so salt water is pretty new to me. For anyone in the area that will be cruising this same location, I'm looking at launching between June 17th and 20th and then 5 or 6 nites on the water. Ok, I'm listening. Wink P.s. I have radar and a VHF radio with DSC and AIS (receive only).
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coming that fare, hit both northern idaho big lakes which have names I can't spell. Pend O'riel or some such and Cour Delane or whatever. Also, coming that far, if you haven't, you really must hit Lake Powell. Also, Flaming Gorge would be another of the big and wonderful lakes on the Colorado. If you haven't been on Yellowstone, then you've missed another fantastic C-Dory adventure along with Jackson Lake in Teton National Park. But I would put Powell at the very top of the list if you did no other, if you haven't had Powell time before.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 5 or 6 days, side trips like Lake Powell (a 2 - 3 day drive from the PNW) should probably be relegated to another time. Bellingham, WA, is a good place to lauch and leave your truck and trailer. They have a fresh water rinse, as well.

Some of the best places in the San Juans are not served by the Washington State Ferry. We are fond of Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor, both on San Juan Island. Sucia has mooring balls and is a beautiful place. There are two good anchorages at Stuart Island: Reid Harbor and Prevost Harbor - a fun hike up to the one room school house and the "treasure chest" or all the way out to the Turn Point Lighthouse. Fisherman's Bay, on Lopez island is another great stop, anchor or get a slip. We like the peace and quiet anchoring at Blind Bay on the north side of Shaw Island. Set your watch back 20 years for an overnight on the dock at Olga on Orcas Island; or live luxuriously at the Rosario Resort docks.

The San Juans are a wonderful cruising area. 5 or 6 days will give you a taste and make you want to return. 5 or 6 weeks will really let you explore the area. We are coming up on our 5th summer here, and always find something new and interesting.

Hope this gets you started, and good luck with the plans.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim. I'll be looking at the charts this week and the places you mention. Lake Powell is also on my wish list, but not this year. Other than Pend, Priest or Courdelene, plans are to make about 500 mi a day and just looking for any nice "camping" spots on the way out. I was looking at 2 nites on the border lake there, specifically Courdelene <sp?> but if others think those other lakes would be a better stop! I'd look into that. Also looking for any advice on routing on the water between islands.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be partially inclined to hit a freshwater lake on the way home as an excuse to rinse everything down nicely, but I agree that with only 5-6 days to spend out here that you could easily just enjoy the San Juans.

Lake Chelan could be a good stop on the way home for a freshwater rinse. there are some interesting boat access only places up the lake a few miles worth stopping and exploring. You can moor and sleep at the Chelan park near downtown for a few bucks or cruise up about 10-12 miles to the boat access parks instead. if you fish, there are some big mackinaw out there.

In the San Juans if you moor and sleep at Friday Harbor, I found Jones Island to be a very nice day trip. They have a small dock at Jones, and very nice raised outhouses. you can hike around the entire island in a short amount of time, its beautiful. if the dock is full and you have a dinghy, you can grab a mooring bouy and row in (that's what my wife and I did).

I will also second the notion of launching in Bellingham. we went there for the first time last labor day and it was not only a beautiful cruise from Bellingham to Friday Harbor, but the rinse off hose was nice. I will say the ends of the hoses were cut off however, so you couldn't screw engine muffs to the hose. if you want to give your motors a good rinse you might bring your own hose. but still, it was nice to give the boat a good rinse, as well as the trailer, before towing back home. (only 2-3hrs for me).

take a look at this early morning sunshine. steak for breakfast, tied to a bouy, coffee, anticipating the row in for our morning hike. I really loved Jones island. one of my fav stops so far.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Places-Hemingway-Has-Been&id=IMAG0646&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Bellingham as the entry to the San Juans, over Anacortes. And, a thumbs up on Sucia as well. Sort of on the way to the main cluster of islands, but worthy on its own. Trails, good anchorage in the major bay, extremely scenic.

Roche Harbor must be seen to be believed ... a very fancy harbor with more money on fhe hook than you can imagine, and a good locus for a foray to the west side of the big island. Or, a jumpoff spot for a scenic tour of some of the Gulf Islands ... don't go ashore or anchor and you can avoid having to transit Customs. Go early and return early for the smoothest waters.

DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about Roche. the bar and restaurant there at the Marina are a very nice stop too.
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 mile days when we are towing is as much as we ever care to do (usually less than that).

At Bellingham, the charge for one in and out at the ramp is $7.00, I think. Good ramp. Transient docking at Bellingham is very reasonable. You'll have to check with the marina office, but I think there is a 5 day limit for leaving your truck and trailer in the main lot. They do have "long term" parking that is right across the street, and was no charge last time we used it. Bellingham Bay can get a little lumpy, so consider launching and spending the night at their transient dock, then head out fresh, first thing in the morning.

If you have electronic charting, you will see the best routes between the islands... it may look compact on a chart, but there is a lot of water! I'd suggest picking up a Waggoner's Cruising Guide; before your trip would be better, as it would give you plenty to "study" and dream about. There is great info in there for anchoring, marinas, etc, etc.

Tides can run 10 - 12 feet or more, but floating docks are the rule there - easy to tie off. Keep that in mind when anchoring, though. Those tides can create current... remember: wind against current will make for lumpy conditions. Major straits, like Rosario, Haro, and Juan de Fuca, and Boundary Pass will have ship traffic... give them plenty of room and watch for the wake.

Even though you will see depths in excess of 500' in many areas, there are plenty of good, shallow anchorages, if that is your preference.

Friday Harbor has a real grocery store and a variety of restaurants; it is the commercial hub of the islands, but it still a small town. The staff at the Marina (Port of Friday Harbor) are professional and friendly. A night on the dock there allows you to resupply, take showers, etc.

Roche Harbor has some big dollar boats that don't see a lot of use, but they also have plenty of space for boats our size. A small grocery store, and interesting walks nearby.

I forgot about Jones Island (mentioned by DogDuckTitus) - the entire island is a state park, and the only way to get there is by boat (or kayak - a lot of the kayak excursion companies use Jones Island because they have potties).

While I am partial to the wide variety of wildlife, the San Juans are breath-takingly beautiful. You can make a week there as rustic or as posh as you like... or a fun combination of both.

At first blush, cruising in the San Juans can seem intimidating for those not familiar with the area - all those islands! You will more likely find it to be a wonderland as a boater. Watch the weather, know where you are at all times, then decide where you want to go. Don't try to do it all in 5 or 6 days... the things I posted will give you some highlights. For perspective, it is just over 27 miles from Bellingham to Friday Harbor.

This is just personal preference, but a fun way to spend 6 days would be:
Day 1 - Bellingham
Day 2 - Bellingham to Sucia Island
Day 3 - Sucia Island to Friday Harbor
Day 4 - Friday Harbor to Reid Island
Day 5 - Reid Harbor out to the west side of San Juan Island to look for whales, then into Roche Harbor
Day 6 - Roche Harbor back to Bellingham (34 miles)

Celebrate your return to Bellingham with a nice meal at Anthony's, right at the marina.

You will feel like an island-cruising salt-water pro, and will have seen some beautiful places... then start scheming on how you will take more time on your next trip to the San Juans.

Have fun with it, keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Jim
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, many thanks. Your information (along with some of the other's) has been very helpful. Especially the suggested schedule. Now, where do I fit Jones Island in to that schedule? Wink As for lumpy water... I know our Great Lakes are not the same as the ocean bays and we don't deal with currents and tides. But we know quite a bit about lumpy and choppy! Sad I do tend to prefer being tied up to something solid like a dock or land, with safe protection from the wind and waves, however I can accept safe anchorage in 20' or less of water, as I only have about 100' of regular anchor line, altho I carry a couple hundred more feet of polyester line... I have the Garmin GPSMAP 541 along with Waggoneers and the West Marine San Juan Islands Chart book. I'll be checking with my Boat US membership to change my inland Lakes tow membership to include the San Juans area for at least the time I'm out there. I have been on the ferry out to those islands twice, but it's been a while. My brother lives in Graham and is somewhat familiar with the local fresh water lakes with his ski doo.... While my plans are pretty much for 5 or 6 nights cruising the San Juans, then a few days with my brother before the long drive back home, there is a slight chance I could end up with some extra time in the area, but more than likely not. It sounds like Bellingham is where I should put in. Is there a link for the marina or ramp there? Or a specific name I can google for any other info? Thanks. Colby
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The marina in Bellingham is Squalicum Harbor. You pay for the launch ticket at a machine. Parking is in the same lot as the ramps. Easy. The wash down is near the main road in the parking lot.

You could easily make a stop at Jones Island between Sucia and Friday Harbor - depending on the route you take, it isn't out of the way. If you'd rather be at a dock instead of anchoring, Sucia, Jones, and Stuart Island do have small docks, available on a first come gets it basis. No power. Marine parks. If you do anchor out (or get a mooring ball), you will need a dinghy to get ashore.

You could also get a slip at Friday Harbor for a few nights and day trip out of there.

There are SO MANY options! Very Happy

Have a great time!
Jim
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim's schedule is a good one. The advice to "go early and return late" is good advice too. Generally there is more wind during the day. Mornings before 09 or 19 will have less breeze, and after 4PM will usually be more quiet too.

The distances are not large, but the tides and currents do need to be considered in planning. More so the current direction in relation to the winds, than the current making it so you can't go there. You can, but it takes more power, for more speed, for more gas use, to overcome the currents. The C-Dory will travel at more than 6-7 knots when you need or want to.

Enjoy

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when we first went from Bellingham to Friday Harbor, we opted against going through the pass at Obstruction and instead skirted the south side of Blakely Island as my electronics suggested.

On the way back we took the pass, its one of my favorite experiences in boating thus far. I actually had this song playing in the boat while we ventured through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bTpp8PQSog
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it. The theme song that is. I guess it beats playing some of my Great Lakes music, say like the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald or the Wreck of the Mary Ellen Carter.... Smile I'll start looking at my charts and plotting stuff out here later today. THanks again for all the good info! What about fuel stops? I'll start out with full tanks, 44 gallons and have a Merc 115EFI. I assume Friday Harbor has gas if I need to top off.. Colby
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Love it. The theme song that is. I guess it beats playing some of my Great Lakes music, say like the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald or the Wreck of the Mary Ellen Carter.... Smile I'll start looking at my charts and plotting stuff out here later today. THanks again for all the good info! What about fuel stops? I'll start out with full tanks, 44 gallons and have a Merc 115EFI. I assume Friday Harbor has gas if I need to top off.. Colby

I topped off for the ride home in Friday Harbor, lots of fuel there.

also, I won't lie... more than once I played this song loudly as I pulled into a new marina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRh-dzrI4Z4
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta learn how to download youttube to an mp4 file. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: