The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

dual station dual control
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: dual station dual control Reply with quote

Here is my update on my dual station . When I first saw that boat 15 years ago , I knew then that one day I would be owning one. Here we are 2005 C-DORY with 100 hrs almost on it . I told Sharon that I would buy this boat only if I could have steering & trottles control in the back. My dealer told me that because I was putting twin engines that it was not financially feasible to install trottle controls in the cockpit. Steering yes, but controls would cost any where from 6 to 7 Ks , don't need it he says on a boat that size bla.... bla.... bla.... Well I told him to order the boat with twin steering and let me worry about the controls. While I was waiting for the boat to be built I did my own research. Bought every thing I needed , helm dual control, back dual control, push pull cables. Than when the boat arrived I brought it home to do my own install before the dealer installed my engines . I have to tell you that having those rear controls is simply awsome, getting in and out of marina by your self makes life so much easier. Talk about fishing for salmon by your self you can streer, control speed , stop the boat all while your fighting the fish. doesn't get any better than that .I also installed two switches that I bought from the dealer ( new for 2005 on YAMAHA mid range engines ). That switch usally is an option that is installed on the tiller handle. I bought 2 then modified them so they fit right beside my control in the back. At the touch of the button on that switch it gives you the choice of RPM from 900 to 500 in 50 RPM increments. And yes the new YAMAHA are build to troll at these speeds all day long. Got to love that new technolgy. Gary SEA RAM PS did I told you that I love my DODGE , it can to run all day long at 1800 RPM
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds GREAT!
Its scenarios likes this one that really makes being a BRAT a valuable and cruising enhancing (is that a sentence) experience.
Details and photos when-able please.
and Congratulations!
(I think its the most enjoyable when the "experts" say it can't be done).
CHEERS
John
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my rear helm and wouldn't be without it. It sure makes anchoring in the river a pleasure (or at least easier) and it is fantastic for pulling crab pots.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
k3nlind

City/Region: Layton
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Topkick
Photos: Topkick
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting DodgeRam (<- I got one too! Wink )

I would really like to see photos of your cockpit helm station.

I was under the impression that one had to had hydraulic steering in order to accommodate dual helm steering, is this correct or not?

Does anyone know if the 50RPM incremental switch is available of the Honda BF40?

E.C.H.O.

bcnu,

ken
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k3nlind wrote:
Very interesting DodgeRam (<- I got one too! Wink )

I would really like to see photos of your cockpit helm station.

I was under the impression that one had to had hydraulic steering in order to accommodate dual helm steering, is this correct or not?

Does anyone know if the 50RPM incremental switch is available of the Honda BF40?

I'm pretty sure you need hydrolic steering. How difficult is it to add the throttle control, especially if everything is already rigged? How much do you estimate it cost you to had the second helm?
k3nlind

City/Region: Layton
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Topkick
Photos: Topkick
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you are not asking me nor awaiting my reply, flapbreakker. I don't have the foggiest idea. My 22 has only the main helm...
Mr. Fisherman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrolic steering is required and while you could rig up a mechanical linkage I would go hydrolic just to get away from cables.
My boat was already rigged but when I went to repower I was apauled at the price for controlls if I were to have gome to twin motors. The more I think about it the more I like having a single and a kicker anyway Wink

Last edited by Mr. Fisherman on Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by B~C on Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Fisherman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, I can't say I blame you but if you want dual helm controls with that pair of yours you are going to have to give something up Laughing
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you edited it you bugger,
That dual setup with controls sure would be the bees knees for fishing and docking.
DogeRam- ya going to rig up dual controls for the dodge next?
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
DogeRam- ya going to rig up dual controls for the dodge next?

If his truck is like mine, I already have dual controls. She makes that clear every time I kick it up a few notches.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaks wrote:
If his truck is like mine, I already have dual controls. She makes that clear every time I kick it up a few notches.

All them trucks come with that feature. As much as I hate to admit it, Ford does have a huge advantage there. With the Power Stroke wound up, you can't hear it.

As for the boat, I want the dual control station too. The older 25s don't have windows at the rear of the cabin, so standing out back looking over the roof seems like it would be real handy. One of these days. Have to get the SeaStar steering first. If anyone is planning ahead for a second steering station, keep in mind that the less expensive BayStar system doesn't lend it self to the second steering valve.

DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mike your right , you have to have the Sea Star hydraulic system in order to have dual steering. Sorry about being slow for the pictures, believe it or not I do not own a digital camera yet! Seems that every time I got the money to buy one , I come back home with something for the boat instead. So yesterday I finally ask one of my buds to take some pictures so I can show you my install. He burned them on a disk yesterday afternoon , now I have to learn how to put those picture in my profile? My truck already has dual controls! They sit in the back-- a chocolate Lab, 5 1/2 name Tia who sits on port side & a cocker spaniel , 10 named Missy, who sits on starboard side. Gary SEA RAM, PS Am I allowed to put pictures of my Dodge on My profile?!...
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I allowed to put pictures of my Dodge on My profile?!...

Of course you can! It's a good thing I got this before the Ford guy did, though.

You now have an album set up for SeaRam. It is linked to your Profile and you can get to it by clicking the link that shows up to the left of all your posts. Thanks for the pictures!

Yep - needing the $1000 SeaStar instead of the $500 BayStar is why I haven't got the hyraulic steering on yet. Too bad, because the cheaper unit is more than adequate for my 130. The hydraulic system is the first step, and it is a simple matter of tapping into the lines to add the second station.

For the motor controls, did you use those mixing box gizmos for the cables, or some other way? It will be neat to see the pictures. Especially your truck.
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgeram:

You have successfully put together a system that I have been thinking about for over a year. Your pictures show a very clean installation approach. I would be interested in seeing a bill of materials for the dual helm shift & throttle controls. Thanks for your help in this regards,
Rollie/C-Batical
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: