View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Propeller Pitch Reply with quote

Might be good to put our collective ideas regarding prop pitch on one thread to summarize ideas for those who are buying boats.

There are a number of variables, such as the use of boat (pulling skiers would be different than fishing and both different than a 'heavy' boat of long-distance cruisers), altitude can make a difference (we knew a boater who carried a big box of props and changed them for every thousand feet of elevation change [he lived in Wyoming]), size (and number) of engines can be a variable, fresh water vs. salt water might be a variable, etc.

Size of prop might also be a factor, and how important is pitch with prop size? Should big props have a different pitch than small, all other variables being equal?

How important is pitch? Is it only at the extreme edge of variables that it is important? How much extra load does it REALLY put on an engine (how about real numbers, not just opinion). How much difference IS there in performance -- is it just a couple miles per hour at the top range and insignificant at lower speeds? (real numbers, guys, not just opinions!).

Should we carry extra props with different pitch and change them when conditions change, or is that not necessary (if pitch isn't really that important under 'normal' conditions.

So -- (if pitch is important), is it possible to summarize the best pitch for our various C-Dory types for each different variable. Or, as long as our use of boat stays much the same, should we get a prop with one size, one pitch, and live happily ever after ... ?

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that remains constant is that the motor should run in the maximum rpm range ie: 5,000 to 6,000 (this is an example, look in your owners manual for your motors max rpm range) when the throttle is wide open. If you cannot achieve the minimum rpm of the range, then your prop has too much pitch. If your motor revs above that range, then the pitch of your prop is too low.

So, load your boat with your normal load, take it out on flat water and test. Compare your rpm to the range specified in your owners manual. This give you a basis to choose another prop. If you can borrow some props for testing, that is great. If you only have one prop, test and record, then decide if you want to get another prop.

Talk to your dealer about your results and which prop to try next. Sometimes they will let you exchange a prop for another pitch if there is no visible damage to the prop.

To guestimate pitch, one inch of pitch change should result in 200-400 rpm change on WOT(wide open throttle).

As always, your results may vary. Teeth

If you take your boat to higher altitudes, you may want to have a prop with one or two inches less pitch. Motors loose 3% of HP for each 1,000 ft of altitude.

Owners of twins may want to have a lower pitch prop available for operating on one motor.

Dogon Dan is right about this topic having so many variables that it is nigh impossible to compare different boats, motors, and props.

'Propping out' a boat is an experimental process.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
dogon dory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon dory wrote:
I was running a Honda BF90 on the old boat. It was turning a cupped aluminum 13.5x15 three blade and was running a couple of knots faster cruise speed at 4800 rpm. What's up with that? Smaller prop, less pitch, lower engine speed but running faster with more or less the same gear on the boat. Maybe Suzuki just sucks as suggested in another thread somewhere.

Taller gears in the Suzuki. Engine RPM and output shaft RPM are not the same thing. I will stay completely out of the Suckin' Suzuki discussion.

There are other, more subtle variables in there too, aren't there? Like prop slippage, blade surface friction, and a bunch of NASAesque mathematical gibberish?

If we were staging CD races, one might want to get into power tuning propellers. But most of us want to use a common, quickly replaceable, off-the-shelf prop. Those seem to be pretty much standard within a small range of diameter/pitch ratios.

And here's a question you guys can help me with. The "pitch" is a theoretical distance through the water the prop will travel per revolution under ideal circumstances, is it not? Therefore, wouldn't a change in the diameter require an adjustment in the blade characteristics (i.e., cupping, angle, surface area, etc.) to achieve the same "pitch" as described above? Being a simple (minded?) put-'er-together-with-the-parts-you-got mechanic rather than a design engineer with the means to requisition the perfect parts, I am inclined too think that pitch is pitch, and through the water is where I want it to go. If we was going to the moon - different story.

Crap, I'm gonna be sorry I jumped into this one!!

C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another unknown variable is the actual H.P. output of the engine. I have read where from the factory a plus or minus 10% variation in H.P. output from what is on the engine cover is acceptable. From the low side to the high side would yield very different results.
dogon dory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogon Dan,

Yeah, there is a lot more to it than just the pitch. Wink My comments were for an owner that has a prop on the boat and is wondering if its right.

If you have a stock aluminium prop and replace it with the same model, different pitch, the diameter may be the same or slightly different, but there is usually no choice to the buyer.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon dory wrote:
annular
Shocked We'll have to check with Bill, but I don't think you're supposed to say that on here.

In my short time screwing around with these boat screws, I have seen the differences you speak of. I tried three different props on my CD22/Honda 75, all having diameters within 1/2" of each other. The 17" pitch that came with it was too much, so I went to 15" pitch. Three different manufacturers, three different WOT/top end results.

Same with the 130 Honda on my CD25. The 15" Michigan Wheel gave me about 5000 rpm max, not enough speed at cruise, and not enough reserve get-up-and-go for when I needed it to keep up with a swell. The 13" Honda aluminum made 6000 (and maybe a hair more) rpm quickly, with a speed that was too slow at cruise rpm. The 13" Honda branded stainless prop I have on there now (with the same dia. and pitch numbers as the aluminum) goes up to 5900 rpm, and provides an acceptable, albeit slower than I would like, cruise speed at 4500 rpm. My boat is heavier empty than is the new model CD25, and I have it loaded heavier than normal people, besides. I run about 14 kts at 4500. It will make 18 kts at 5000 rpm, but I don't like to run it there for long periods. The sweet spot, judging primarily by engine sound, is between 4500 and 4600, so I just let the other CDs pass me. It does have a good deal of oomph between cruise rpm and WOT if needed.

I have one prop yet to try. It is a Propco Marine brand 3x13.75x15 that I bought for the CD22. I was a little distrusting of the thing, because as shipped it wouldn't even go on the shaft. The base of the prop hub that fits into the skirt on the Honda had too large an OD, and was off center or out of round. Consequently, it made contact for about 120º of rotation. After I got no response from the outfit that sold it to me, I chucked it up and turned the OD at the base down about .050". I did try it for a while on the 22, and it was very smooth, and produced results comparable to the Honda prop with the same numbers. One of these days, I'll try it on the 130 - it could work as a spare, or it might be the best thing going.

What I think I need on my Honda 130 is a 14" pitch (and, of course, the ideal diameter). If I ever have any money, I might have a prop shop tweak one up for me. Or maybe give one of those ProPulse composite adjustable jobs a try. For the time being, I gots to run what I brung or stay home.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Ol' bud --

Some horses are gonna go just so fast, no matter what kind of saddle you put on them. Man. a cruise of 14-15 knots, up on easy plane, is way cool. At your weight (well, the boats total weight) about 200 hp would be ideal. Pair of 90 E-Tec jewels mebbe??

Be HAPPY,

Dusty
jlynch

City/Region: Corcoran
State or Province: MN
Vessel Name: Shenanigan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything You Need to Know About Propellers.

Check out this site at Mercury Marine, if you have time to read it
and can inhale all the technical information, then you can answer any
questions about propellers.

www.mercurymarine.com/everything_you_need_to_know_about_propellers5
Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry folks fer not havin the time to read all the prior-post here Crook consider:

Why in tarnation would you want to spin a prop faster in the water, to achieve the same hull-speed as a lower-geared outboard. There's energy wastin there.... not matter what formula is applied Idea Exclamation the way of the future is obviously to spin a steeper pitch (slower turning) and gain "traction in the water toboot Exclamation Suzuki has a good explanation for this on there website (I think...if they still do)

Sorry bout the "quicky-message" and not payin attention to all that hi-tech discussin up there, but it's high-time the RedFox went fishin Smile
dogon dory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmmm.......Fun to read all the technical information over and over again and do the calculations too, but what it all comes down to is trying out props on the boat under conditions you usually operate in with the boat loaded as you usually do.

As far as the CD-22 is concerned, about a 14-17 inch pitch range with a 13 to 13 5/8 or so diameter seems to be the agreed upon common ground unless you have a Suzuki 90 with a 2.60:1 gear ratio where a 19 inch pitch may be within range.

Due to the nature of the CD hulls, we don't need high tech or exotic propellers such as the Raker, Stilletto, Rapture, or the ever popular Screaming Screw. Some of us do like the lesser vibration and better anti-ventilation characteristics of the 4-bladed props, and find they work very well.

I currently have 15 and 17 inch pitch Yamaha 3-blade OEM props, 4-blade Comprops of 15 and 17 inch pitch, and a 15 inch pitch Solas 4-blade prop. I'll let you know how they work out if I can ever get around to trying them all out!

Even part of the propeller selection process is subjective, so numbers don't always mean everything. Still helps to understand all the theory when trying to find the best fit, however. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon dory wrote:

Stop by WalMart and get yourself a file. Then you got choices on diameter too.

Hey RedFox, we're finally getting there. I found out that my Suckzuki will run Yamaha props.

Amentathat Cool Laughing A hammer to Idea had to reform a few props over the years bangin-around out in the Sound Smile Teeth

Hey, my fave is the stock 17 or 19 pitch OEM alum' Yamaha! smooth and don't cavitate as much as others Thumbs Up I have never bent a shaft to date, in all my "groundings" you know what all the old-salts say: "If ya haven't run-aground---ya haven't been-around" Wink

Absolute minimum-pitch prop for a C-Dory: 17-pitch Exclamation Idea anything less in my book leaves your bow-falling over the wave-tops too fast Idea (thats experience talking there folks Shocked ) making that "flat-bottom C-Dory ride even worse Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: