The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

PROJECT-A-PALOOZA!!! -- Autopilot Install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: PROJECT-A-PALOOZA!!! -- Autopilot Install Reply with quote

Not much to show here - standard S1000 install.

Here is where I put the hydraulic pump - on the back of the helm bulkhead. the rubber feet that came on the pump help with noise a lot.

I cut a piece of Starboard to mount all the control stuff on. I added a normal ON/OFF switch, in addition to the emergency switch provided - I like to turn things off completely and didn't want to use the emergency switch for this all the time Rolling Eyes

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only used an S1000 one time, so this may be just plain wrong, or have changed, or whatever, but one thing I remember is that the remote (which I belive is the only included control) will go to sleep after X time of not handling it (even when the autopilot is on). Am I remembering this correctly? And if so, does/can your switch "force" it to remain on? If so, bonus!
Ray

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately no, it does not prevent the sleep mode. The switch is just in series with the emergency one.

I guess sleep mode that's just something we have to live with in the world of battery powered wireless devices...... Sad Sad
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'm even remembering the details correctly, but I think one way some people have gotten around that is to have another small display that also shows/can control the autopilot, and then that one always stays "awake" (because it is wired to 12v). I can't think of the exact one (and I'm sure there are plenty of options), but I think it was a small Garmin display that was around 3" x 4" (and probably had other uses).

May not even be something you're interested in (and/or I may be remembering it wrong), but just thought I would mention it.
Ray

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some interesting stuff! Probably a bit more than I am willing to tackle right now, though.

An extra "wake up" button press doesn't seem to be too much for the time being. I get all of the other "goings on" from the chart plotter anyway.....

Thanks!
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: PROJECT-A-PALOOZA!!! -- Autopilot Install Reply with quote

We have the same Auto Pilot. If you are in the pilot mode it does not go to sleep as I remember. It will only stay in standby mode for about 5 minutes an then it will go to sleep. Then you will have to reinitialize it. It's been a great pilot for us. Especially at slower speeds. We steer the boat with the auto pilot more than I use the wheel. After a year or so you will want to carry a spare battery for the remote. It gets real sad when your favorite boat toy stops working. Other than that ours has been with out issue now for five years.
D.D.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: