View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delphinus

City/Region: Philadelphia
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dori Den
Photos: Dori-Den
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Most Challenging Waves I Ever Encountered Reply with quote

Most Challenging Waves I Ever Encountered

Interpretations, advice and criticisms welcomed/warranted. Embarrassment kept me from posting this account for several months.

July 1, 2013

My wife and I awoke, at our mooring in Isle of Wight Bay, Maryland, at 6:30AM, with intentions of accessing blue water through Ocean City Inlet, and heading 18ish miles north to Indian River Inlet and our slip at IRI Marina.

The following details are taken, nearly verbatim, from my log book.

-Woke at 6:30ish, fog and low visibility.
-Waited for sun to burn off fog.
-7:15 turned on Wallas stove to boil water for Daryl and my tea.
-Beach forecast: “Winds 15-20mph; swell 5ft; waves 5-7ft; thunderstorms likely all day”
-Thunderstorms predicted throughout the day, with one particularly bad one predicted to hit OC, MD, around 9:30AM.
-My wife and I made decision, jointly, to not risk being on ocean when storm hit, so decided to anchor behind Assateaque Island.
-Waited for storm to arrive from west; skies dark in that direction, but storm did not come.
-Around 9:00, realized storm was slow moving and would not hit when predicted, so decided to pull up anchor and make a run for it.
-Headed short distance to OC Inlet. From current movement on fixed objects, appeared to be outgoing tide. However, low tide predicted for 9:08. Seems that we caught the tail end of the outgoing tide; perhaps, current would have been stronger had we left 45min sooner…and that would NOT have been good as OC Inlet was VERY DIFFICULT! Most difficult waves ever encountered; even more difficult than those experienced with step-dad, Dick, off Cape May on Sat of Memorial Day weekend (C-Brats posting, “C-Dory in 5-7ft Seas…My First Sea Trial”). Caught by surprise by wave heights in OC Inlet!
-Notably: After heading down back of one wave, plunged bow into next wave, at downward angle, took top half of next wave over the bow…thought window might break.
-Worst of All: Climbed a steep 8-10 footer (estimate taken from my log, but now I can’t imagine it was that big…probably 6-8ft) that shot our boat “straight up” according to my wife. We were completely airborne, and when we hit the boat must have flexed since screen popped out of starboard window. The worst feeling was when the wave had us in its grips and was pushing us backwards; it reminded me of the feeling you get when leaning back on two legs of a chair and then you lose balance and start to fall backwards. I am convinced now that I took the wave TOO SLOWLY. Mistakes continued as I took all subsequent waves directly on the bow and let them lead us south-east, out of the inlet channel and into shallows (9ft shallowest reading); channel is 20ft deep. Big waves continued until a few hundred yards offshore. In choosing to hit big waves head-on, I went off course and into shallows. The waves drew me into shallows. I DID NOT know the inlet well enough and SHOULD HAVE STUDIED THE CHART FIRST! Given the forecast, I SHOULD NOT HAVE CHANCED THE INLET AND RISKED MY WIFE, MY SON’S MOTHER AND FATHER, AND OUR WONDERFUL C-DORY, “DORI DEN”! A LESSER BOAT MIGHT NOT HAVE SURVIVED SUCH STUPIDITY BY ITS SKIPPER. Also, I SHOULD NOT HAVE TRIED TO OUTRUN THE STORMS; When they hit, about an hour after we tied up at Indian River Inlet Marina, they were vicious…and I THANKED GOD WE WERE SAFE!

How could I have known conditions would be THAT BAD??
Advice and criticisms welcomed/warranted.

Sincerely,
Gerry Ballough
"Dori Den"

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting your experience. It happens to all of us. Since I boated on the Chesapeake for a couple of years, I can appreciate those line squalls which come roaring down the bay…
One item,--many times max current, or slack current does not correspond with low tide--because of the complexity of the dynamics of a large bay system such as the Chesapeake. This is a common mistake.

"situational awareness" is key when boating--and not being aware of your depth and how you were getting into shoal water is easy to do.

I cut the corner of Cape May when going up the Delaware bay in our boat which drew 7 feet. The chart looked like I had at least 12 feet, but my heart was in my throat, as we hit an ebb tide, with large breakers, and all of a sudden the depth sounder read zero. It was the turbulence of the water, but I was not sure of that, and waiting for that grounding noise…only lasted a few minutes--but I know what the feeling is.

Glad you made it safely--and hope it has not dampened your enthusiasm for boating in the C Dory.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Delphinus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your kind message. It means a lot, coming from a person with your considerable experience. You are so right about the need for "situational awareness!"

I probably should have turned around when I noticed the rather strong outgoing tide (i.e., on fixed objects) and considering the forecast: swell of
5ft, waves of 5-7ft, south-east winds 15-20mph and impending severe thunderstorms. Would you--or other very experienced mariners like yourself--have attempted the inlet in a CD25 given those conditions? In other words... in better hands, is my boat able to handle such conditions safely?

I promise that my enthusiasm for boating is a strong as ever! Fortunately, my wonderful C-Dory has protected my loved ones while permitting my experience to become less limited!

Sincerely,
Gerry
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry,
It is impossible to say if one would undertake this without being there. Most likely, I would have waited. But we took our 25 Down wind/waves when it was blowing about 50 knots in Johnston Straits with about 10 foot sustained seas, some higher, with no problem--but nothing was going upwind wave including 80 footers. We came into the area from a protected channel and had another protected place about one mile down the line, as a bail out. You always want a "plan". Really several plans. So it depends on many parts of the conditions. Velocity of the current, size of incoming waves, the security of the place you were in. Valid estimate of arrival of squall. Today we have a lot of tools--including satellite weather (which I do't have except via cell telephone--which would show the front. The current tables, as well as tide, etc.
Delphinus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Bob, thanks for the great account!

I will always remind myself that a man of much greater experience than I (i.e., you) would likely caution against chancing similar conditions; thus, defining my own limits. Honestly, I wasn’t sure of my, or my boat’s, limitations before. At least, I will not knowingly place myself (and especially not others) in similar or worse conditions.

In Johnson Straits, it’s good you were heading down wind…but I suspect you had no choice. I imagine the CD25 could not stay pointed into 50 knot winds, as I had difficulty keeping ours pointed into the wind when sustained at 29 during Memorial Day sea-trial with my step-dad. Forward windage would cause my boat to veer off at top of waves (5.9 sig wave ht). Those 10ft sustained seas must have been really challenging! I can’t imagine how tough the stacked ones must have been…and suspect some were breaking. Guess you probably took most of them at an angle to keep props in the water (sort of tacking down wind). I don’t have satellite weather either; thanks for the great idea to use cell phone to show a squall front. Tide tables I use a lot (guessing currents so to “ride the tide”), but current tables I have not; will start to do so and attempt to get them from internet.

Thank you, sincerely, for sharing your experience!

Respectfully,
Gerry
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found it's always a good thing to remember
the sea is a lousy teacher as you often first get the test
and later learn the lesson (if you pass the test).

Aye.

Delphinus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, Foggy! Thanks for the cool aphorism; I'm going to quote you.

Fortunately, my C-Dory is such a good boat that it curves up...not only at the bow, but also my poor test scores Smile

Best,
Gerry
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts. One of the apps I use is Wind Finder Pro. This is mostly for wind surfers, kite boarders etc--but it gives current winds, prediction of winds, weather, tides and currents for many areas.

Garmin charts plotters, Blue Chart mobile app, how has wind arrows, and anticipated wind direction and velocity. There are many tide and a few current stations. This and the Tides and Currents by Navimatics both have Active Captain information--as does Skipper: (Switches between Topo, NOAA and street maps) All apps are handy, and to be consulted along with NOAA weather, both written (an APP), the buoy information and the weather forecasts. All of these tools help to determine if it is a "go or no go". Very important to know the weather at your destination, as well as along the way and at the origin.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry,

As you have and will learn, even the weather predictors don't hit it right on 100%, and so it leaves us all in a bit of a ??? of what it is going to be like "Out there".

Having not been to the Chesapeake, and dealing with those shallows, it's a bit hard to relate. I deal with the Strait of Juan de Fuca, deep, directional and different from your bay. BUT, it is still weather, wind, waves and current. In our area, there are some buoys that we can dial up on the phone and get current time status. Very helpful. For me, Waves over 3 ft, or winds over 15 would be a no go, mostly because they would be beam seas. Yup, the boat can handle it, NO I don't get sea sick, I just don't need to be out there in that. A normal crossing is about 2 hours, that would make it a five hour trip. That's a loooooooong time in a washing machine.

As Bob mentioned, situational awareness is of prime importance. It comes with practice. Sounds like you are getting that Laughing

Stay safe and keep boating.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Foggy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention, it's always a good idea to check in on
the VHF as to what other vessels in your specific area
are doing/seeing/experiencing.

Often, you're not the only one out there.

Aye.
Delphinus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bob, Harvey and Foggy,

Just saw you sent me some very interesting messages, but my wife is dragging me away... We're leaving tonight to visit her family for Easter. I look forward to reading your messages and responding on Monday. HAPPY EASTER!

Sincerely,
Gerry
Foggy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it.

You're bugging out.

I've found keeping cyberspace close at hand can
be helpful, so, check in. You could benefit.

Aye.
Delphinus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m Back… Hope you had a great Easter!

Hi Bob-- Thank you for the excellent resources for further determination of weather, tides and currents. I am going to save all advice from this post on my computer and will also copy most important points into my log book for reference on the boat. I will definitely try the Navimatics and Skipper resources. You are absolutely right regarding knowing weather!

Hi Harvey -- Thank you for your helpful advice. We recently gave up our slip, in the Chesapeake, and relocated to the east coast. If we had been caught in the storms I described above, we would have been about 5 miles out in the Atlantic, heading north on our 18-20 mile passage from Ocean City Inlet (Maryland) to Indian River Inlet (Delaware). Total transit time was about an hour and a half. The winds, that day were from the south-east. Seas felt heavier (bigger rollers) than I had previously experienced (maybe effect of 5ft swell) with some steeper non-breaking waves. If we had been caught, visibility would have gone to nothing and the storm would have lasted about 30min before a break (based on the weather that came an hour later). If caught by the storm, there would have been nowhere to hide. My plan would have been to heave-to under power, blast the horn every several seconds, all lights on. I would monitor my position by GPS, to stay away from the inlet channel and out far enough to avoid being beached. Even if GPS failed, can tell when breakers near since fished close to beach. Given that my twin Honda90s didn’t fail, believe I could stay close to shore, but not on it. Fortunately, no rocks or buoys to worry about….not sure about nets. Despite these plans, my “situational awareness” was NOT sufficient! I love my wife, boat and the ocean!!! Thankfully, all forgave me that day

Hi Foggy—Very good point! It did not check first but found that there were no other boats out in the ocean, between those two inlets, except 4 Coast Guard and 1 Police boat, with divers in the water, looking for a small plane that went down the evening before. Two police officers tragically lost their lives in that crash. Likely, I would have been told to stay inland. I will follow your advice in the future!

Bob, Harvey and Foggy… Thank you so much for your excellent input!!!

Sincerely and Respectfully,
Gerry
“Dori Den”
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Most Challenging Waves I Ever Encountered Reply with quote

It seemed funny to me that you made no mention of wind direction. Later you mention the storm was coming from the west. Reason being on the east coast west wind with an out going tide may not not so bad, stay close to the coast in about 35 feet of water while headed north it might not be too bad. Blowing a possible 20 mph for me is almost a no go in big water but the T-storms would have been the deal breaker for me. I don't really like traveling by boat during a supposed weather window. Just my take on things.
D.D.

Delphinus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.D… Good Point!

I have noticed that wind will often shift dramatically when a storm approaches. First you might have a south-east breeze, then it will die completely (flags and tell-tails go limp), and then the wind will drastically shift directions…dominated by the storm. So, the wind direction info below will be negated by the storm and only applies to conditions prior to the storm.

A later look at info from the nearest offshore buoy (NDBC Station 44009) showed the following:
(Note: There are some differences between the “Beach Forecast,” I previously reported, and the buoy. The buoy is 26NM south-east of Cape May, i.e., 38.461N, 74.703W, in 30.5m of water; we were on 9-11ft deep ocean shoals)

From Buoy (July 1, 2013; at time we were in OC Inlet):
Wind Speed = 11.5-13.5kts
Wind Gusts= 13.5-19.5kts
Significant Wave Height= 4.6-5.3ft
Dominant Period= 8sec
Average Wave Period= 5-5.6sec
Mean Wave Direction= 135-170degrees
Air Pressure 29.89inches
Swell Height= 3.0-4.3ft
Swell Period= 7.8-8.3sec
Swell Direction= 160degrees
Wind Wave Direction = 160, shifting to 130degrees when we were there.
(Either I missed it, or there was no mention of “Wind Direction” other than “Wind Wave Direction” in the Buoy information.) I did note “south-east” winds from the radio forecast that morning.

As we were heading north, I do remember that waves were heavy and approaching us broad on the starboard quarter, for the most part. Also, our speed averaged about 16knts and I remembered there being very little perceived wind, which would be consistent with south-east direction.

Thanks for your message, DD.

Sincerely,
Gerry
“Dori Den”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: