C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
I've done it a couple times.

Best route is from Miami or Ft Lauderdale to Alicetown, Bimini. Never attempt
with any hint of a stiff norther breeze as the Gulf Stream crossing will be
ferocious. Clear customs in Bimini, wait for weather to cross the Banks to Nassau
going north of Andros.

From Florida, this makes it a two day trip in fair weather. You can do it in one day
if everything goes perfectly, depending on your hull speed, but why worry.
You don't really want to run fast over the Banks, especially the first time.

Aye.

Thanks! I think that's what I'm going to do. Why push it as it's a vacation! Smile
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken:

Go back and check my edit job.
There's more you should know.

Aye.

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
Ken:

Aye.

Thanks! Have you done the trip in a C-Dory?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only done the crossings in sailboats (26 to 62 feet) and one trawler. A C Dory is a whole lot different animal. The wave conditions depend on if there is wind against current/or wind with current. As Foggy said--if out of the North--don't go--the seas will be very steep. I would want the wind to be less than 10 knots for any crossing in the C Dory. The boat can handle it, but it will be very comfortable. The "best" time is in the summer, when there are much less chances of anything out of the North. (wind against the gulf stream).

I like the Windfinder Pro app--mostly for sailors, kite boarders and wind surfers, but have the best wind predictions (and sea state, etc) for this area. Also you want to check with Bahamas weather as well as the NOAA weather.
Always know what the weather is at your destination, as well as the origin and in route. For example the current wind is about 17 knots with gusts to 22 at Miami and only about 6 knots at Bimini…but the 17 knots out of NE would be enough to be a "no go" for me.

Another great source of information is the Waterway Radio and Cruising Club.
http://www.waterwayradio.net
The broadcast starts at 7:45 AM ET, 7268 Lower Side band. Many of the good radios will pick this up. I have one of the Grundig Yacht Boy 400's which I always carry, even if I have my ham radio aboard. (replaced by the Grundig G4000A and more recently G5. other receivers include: SONY ICF-SW7600GR:

see:http://www.swling.com/Radios.htm

As a ham, you can check in (and I would encourage joining the net for only a few bucks a year.) You will also get the "latest news" from the Bahamas. You don't have to be a ham to listen.

Are you going to trailer the boat to the launching point--and where are you gong to stow the trailer. You want a secure facility. Also you want to be sure that your boat is secured well when in the Bahamas. A lot of reports of theft. But a lot depends on where you are. Staying on the boat, you are far less likely to have a problem.

The shortest distance is West Palm to West End Grand Bahama--about 60 miles. An option is to go West Palm area to Freeport Grand Bahama (about 70 miles), and check in. That way you have your leisure to work down to Nassau, and not have a long run if you have bad weather. This also allows you to pick up fuel in case this is an issue. It is another 120 miles down to Nassau.

Garmin blue chart mobile also have wind arrows, but not the prediction.

The Gulf Stream velocity is 2.5 (rare) to 6 MPH, so that has to be taken into adjustment for your calculations of course.

I cannot comment on the check in/check out--because it has been some time, and things change a lot thru the years.

Life raft: I am one of the nuts who has never carried a life raft, except when required for offshore ocean races. I have carried a high quality hypalon dinghy with manual CO2 bottles fitted to the inflation valves and a custom made canopy for the inflatable, which lashes to the rope on the sides….a hand operated water maker, water, supplies, a really good ditch bag etc.
If there is any question--get a life raft--one of the coastal platforms is far better than nothing.

Essential--an EPIRB or at the least a Personal Locator beacon. I carry an EPRIB and each person has their own PLB, and a waterproof hand held VHF radio, to carry on their person!

Satellite phone--can be rented. I have not used one, but I have had ham radio on the boats in open water passages like this.

Sea Anchor--again, not something I have owned, but again, my voyaging has been in large sailboats, and I had what is called the Jordon Series Drogue. If you want a sea anchor, then consider the Para Tech--probably the 9 foot size would be best--but you need swivel, trip line, chain, chafing gear etc.

In summary, this is not a passage to be taken lightly. It can be very rough, or as smooth as a mill pond. It can change very rapidly. IN the summer you see PWC and even open CC going over…But it is serious water.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ken35216

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 kts from the south it is then.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:
Foggy wrote:
Ken:

Aye.

Thanks! Have you done the trip in a C-Dory?

No.
Sailbote x 2.

Aye.
ken35216

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was posted on another forum and thought some might like to read it:

Ken, I will take a stab at answering your question. Theory and weather knowledge would say yes to your question but reality is a different story all together.

I have made dozens of crossings to Bimini from Port Everglades, this gives us a southerly run to Bimini. The GS always heads north but strong winds will whip it into a washing machine no matter which direction they are coming from.

As mentioned, any wind direction with a North in it will build the seas into huge monsters. While winds out of the S or SW are desirable, if they are blowing hard enough you will still get 3-5's and this will make for a sloppy, wet ride.

East winds will also give you a wet, sloppy ride.

A rare west wind will give you a dry ride over, but again these winds are rare.

If traveling in the fall and winter months, go after the front has passed but know that another front is heading your way in about a weeks time.

During the spring and summer months, hope for light winds. These are the most favorable times to travel.

Reality is that most of us do not have the luxury to wait out the fronts and weather systems that we are faced with. So, we have to go with the times that our vacation allows.

50+ miles absolutely sucks at 17knots and 4-6ft waves crashing over the bow. Can't tell you how many times I have been in the middle of a crap sea like this and said to myself "Never again"! Till the next time!

I guess my point is, if you have a limited time to make the trip, prep yourself and your crew, bean bags, foul weather gear (contractor bags work great), float plan, EPIRB or PLB, life jackets on deck, eye on the bilge pumps, stop every hour or so to collect thoughts and reassure the crew.

Do this and you will make it and have a great story to tell at the bar at Big Game.

Just remember...in the immortal words of Capt. Ron "If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet this guy had a center console, not a nice dry C Dory!
ken35216

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I'll bet this guy had a center console, not a nice dry C Dory!

I was thinking that same thing! Very Happy
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Miami to Cat Key inlet is 44 miles. You can clear in at the marina around the corner. We use to yellow flag on across the banks to Frasier's Hog Key to clear in, and take advantage of the fresh water swimming pool at the marina.

I just got back from 2 weeks in the southern Keys and Marquessas, but next year I will be running to the Out Island Regatta in Georgetowm, Exumas. Anyone interested in the trek, keep in touch. I have been to a couple of these blowouts over the years and can't say enough about race week. A layover in Nassau and a stop to see the Allen Key iguannas would be on the schedule.

One thing I learned from my cruising days is that waiting for a weather window, no matter how long the wait, is the safest, sanest way to cross the Gulf stream. And, yes, never in a North wind.

ken35216

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anchorout wrote:

One thing I learned from my cruising days is that waiting for a weather window, no matter how long the wait, is the safest, sanest way to cross the Gulf stream. And, yes, never in a North wind.

Wise words right there.
RedRocker

City/Region: Bowie
State or Province: TX
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an update Ken. Very Happy
ken35216

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never made it to the Bahamas. Winds were really kicking the whole two weeks I was down there. So, I went with plan "B". Put in in Ft Lauderdale, while still thinking of the Bahamas, and headed south to get a better angle at Bimini. Spent the first night anchored next to Key Biscayne with the Miami skyline in the back ground. Beautiful.

Forecast said 15-20kt winds for the next week and 3-6 ft waves in the gulf stream so I decided to head south Smile

Key Largo at the John Pennekamp state park was wonderful!

Marathon was relaxing as I flew my crew to the Bahamas to see my daughter. Rented a Camaro convertible and drove to Key West for dinner. I didn't move the boat for three days and read a book Smile

Bahia Honda state park is really special.

Headed East/North to Islamorada for a couple of days.

Last night was spent in Boca Chita State Park with only two other boats on the island. I love that place! Beautiful!!!
RedRocker

City/Region: Bowie
State or Province: TX
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little slow with a reply, I see you got a new boat.
ken35216

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedRocker wrote:
Just a little slow with a reply, I see you got a new boat.

And a new daughter. The one mentioned above is one that I kinda adopted 12+ years ago. Her father died before she was born and I've taken care of her since she was about 12. She's about to graduate college and it's been interesting, to say the least, taking care of a girl from the ages 12 to 24 Xmas LOL

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: