The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Porta Potti conversion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Porta Potti conversion Reply with quote

I am getting ready to pull the pump toilet in the boat and replace it with a good porta potti. Anyone have any suggestions on which porta potti might be the better choice? I am currently looking at the Thelford 365 at $199. Although I think I can get it for less.

I am going to take out the macerator, valve, hoses and tank. Just use the porta potti in the enclosed head and can move it to the cockpit if I want to actually stand in the shower.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Check my photo folder "C-Nile" to view pictures of the Thetford Curve (its a sub folder located on the lower left corner of the page.) It is the same height and dimensions as our toilet at home, and is packed with features. In my opinion, it is the perfect toilet for your application. On our Marinaut, we intend to keep the Curve in the cockpit enclosure utilizing curtains for privacy.

Rich

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, Good move and you won't regret it at least after you have the pieces all pulled out. The storage available in the tank area is fantastic through that center hatch. I would recommend pulling out the hatch entirely while working on the tank because that hole gets more usefull the larger it is. I found a jigsaw the most useful for cutting the tank into pieces for removal but did use a cordless reciprocating saw as well. I pulled the macerator as well and used that outlet hose to add a backup bilge pump under the cockpit floor next to the primary.

We used the Dometic 976 marine model with compressed air flush and had good luck with that model. I would also opt for the curve if I were to do it today. I did replace the hose and had that connected to the potti for pumpout but simplicity without the hose/pumpout would be nice as well. If you connect it to a pumpout hose, it is a little work to disconnect if you ever need to manually dump it. We had a vent line running through the wall of the head and smell was never an issue but I am not sure how it would be with just the head alone in there. I would think a solar vent or cracked window would be enough anyway.

With the 5+ gallon model, You should get a week of boat living out of it before needing to empty.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have that Thetford 365 on our 16 footer. We are very pleased with it. It's taller than the usual pottie which is a great feature for us. Since we don't have either a cutty or a head compartment we made a hassock-like cover for it with a cushion on top and it functions well as a passenger seat .

"...we're all in the same boat..."
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I did that with the Thetford 365 two years ago. It sits higher and is a better fit in the head. Much simpler to deal with. Don't let it get full, it gets heavy to move.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Porta potty conversion Reply with quote

If being legal is a concern - you may want to check the state laws where you boat. In some states and here in Ontario the law regarding what type of porta potty can be used on a boat is fairly strict. Just a thought.
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Porta-Potties Reply with quote

Robert, Perhaps you might provide a short overview of the current rules pertaining to "porta-potties" at Ontario. I know you are located diametrically opposite of where I was planning to cruise which is from Ellison Bay, Door County, Wisconsin to the North Channel this summer. I have a "22 Cruiser" which has the standard porta-potty and a "five gallon" plastic bucket if needed! What sort of obstacles would I expect to encounter with this arrangement?
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We often cross Lake Erie into Ontario and have never had anyone comment on it at all. Once I asked a very friendly customs guy about it and he said, "Law? What law?" and gave us a wink.

My impression, based on OUR experience, is that if you don't do something dumb, you will probably be okay.

Should I put a legal disclaimer in here?

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, head is out, hose from head to tank is out, hose and macerator is out and I have drilled and sealed the three mounting holes. Now comes the fun part. DA TANK. I am putting this off a few days. In the meantime I have yet to make a decision on a porta potti.
CougarMtn

City/Region: Lebanon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Lady Slipper
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through this a couple of weeks ago, but elected to leave the tank in. That way if the boat is sold, the new owner (or me if that's what it took to make the sale) would have an easier time converting it back to the marine head. We ended up with a Thetford unit, because it was what we were used to in the travel trailer, (a 1954 Bellwood 14 footer)
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Porta potty conversion Reply with quote

Barry- no need for alarm, the "Porta Potty Police" aren't going to stop you at the Ontario border and check your luggable loo!! Legally , however boats must be fitted with a Type 111 MSD. That means it must have a holding tank with a deck mounted pump out fitting and a separate vent. Here is a link for you to check out re. Ontario marine laws. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-resources-publications-protecting-menu-873.htm
I bought a new Stingray last year that came fitted with a porta potty which technically is not legal in Ontario. Its safe to say there are thousands of boats here that don't meet legal standards. Like Valkrie said, as long as your not dumping your loo overboard - I don't think anybody will bother you. I just raised this question to give pause for thought before anybody rips out a legal system to replace it with a porta potty. I did hear that you can get dual use units that have a pump out and a detachable tank that can be removed and emptied.
Enjoy the North Channel, its a great cruising ground.
Regards, Rob
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The following are pictures from my photo album of a Thetford 775 MSD in place. I can use it as a stand alone or as pump out. I performed the installation because of cruising in Canadian waters. Like most others who have already replied, I have never been boarded or checked in Canadian waters for the presence of a self contained head. Though I have the capabilities of using it as a pump out, I have never done so prefering to use it as a portable head.

[/img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album162&id=IMG_0141&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[img]

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album162&id=IMG_0139&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

Best regards,
Rollie/C-Batical

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these are Rolle's pictures

C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the posting. You beat me to the punch. I was just going back to edit, when there the photos were.

Thanks again,
Rollie
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished removing the top of the poly tank. I now have a 25 gal dry storage box. I rinsed the tank about 4 times yesterday at the marina and attacked the thing this morning. It was surprisingly clean and no odor at all. I used a variable speed cutting tool that looks like a dentists drill with a 1 1/4 inch cuting disk. Worked great right up to the side corners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: