The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water problem
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gkettler1@hughes.net

City/Region: Gloucester. Va
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: N/A
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Water problem Reply with quote

I purchased a 2004, 22ft sport cruiser. It has been kept on a trailer, but this year we decided to keep it in a Marina. It has been in the water 3 days, and we are getting a very good rain. This boat sits bow down do do the Anchor chain weight, so I removed it, and now it rides level, and fills with 1-2in of rain before the bilge pump kicks in. the water is just as deep in the cabin, as it is in the cockpit. It is not hurting anything, and the boat will not sink, but how do I get this boat to sit low enough in the stern, so the water can be pumped out, by the bilge pump. I love this boat, but would like to eliminate this problem, or most of it.Please help if you can.Thanks Grant Kettler, Gloucester, Va gkettler1@hughes.net
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe put the anchor chain between the gas tanks.

I would also consider getting a mooring (sloping) cover for the boat while it is at the dock.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a ballasting/weight management issue. Are the fuel tanks full or empty? the water tank? Where are the batteries? How much stuff is in the V-birth? Where is the bilge pump? Is there only one? WHY IS THERE WATER IN THE CABIN?????? That would be a big concern to me. There is a separation between the cockpit sole and the cabin sole, going under the door. In some versions of the 22 Cruiser there is a bilge pump in a small box, under the door, like a small step. I would be looking at that, and then where is the switch for the pump? The discharge hose from the pump should take the shortest route to the through hull for discharge. Any water in the hose after the pump shuts off will run back down hill into the boat again. That should not be enough to fill as much as you are seeing there.

Those are all things that need addressing. The slant back, mooring cover will help when the boat is at the dock, but all that water sloshing around in the boat, if you are out and running, WILL make a difference in the handling and could become more than just a wet feet nuisance.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've been wondering, of which the answer might be of interest to the OP: When the 22 is sitting at rest, on her lines, where is the low point of the boat? Is it around the bulkhead separating the cabin from the cockpit? Does it equally "favor" the cabin and the cockpit, due to rocker in the hull shape? Maybe that is why some of the 22's have a bilge sump right under - or even just forward of - that bulkhead?

If the low point is not in the cockpit, then that might explain water in the cabin. If the low point is in the cockpit (especially if it is aft), then maybe the boat is (still) somewhat down by the bow.

This question came to mind for me after seeing the variety of bilge sump locations on various 22's. (I have noticed some under the bulkhead separating galley from cockpit; some in the cabin just ahead of the same bulkhead (but on centerline); and some at the after end of the cockpit. Maybe the forward sumps were eliminated after the permanent cockpit sole came along? (The one under the galley bulkhead puzzles me slightly because the center of the boat looks clearly lower - i.e. just ahead of the cabin door).
gkettler1@hughes.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Water problem Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply's. My 22ft dory is a 2004 sport cruiser. It has no bulkhead . It was designed open, and has a bench seat on each side in the cabin, with storage under neath the seats. There is a small threshold maybe 11/2 in hich seperating the cabin from the cockpit. The only bilge pump sets in a concave area center stern. the fuel tanks are empty, and there is no water tanks or galley equip. This is pretty much an open boat. With the anchor chain removed, the boat at rest sets pretty level. Even with the weight of the engine, and my two hundred puounds is not enough weight to set the stern low enough to kick on the bilge pump, and keeping water from running into the cabin when it rains. all of the underseat storage areas have weep holes for drainiage. There is no other place for another bilge pump. I am calling c-dory, and a dealer tomorrow.Thanks again, and please reply.....Thanks Grant
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Water Reply with quote

I never recommend using dead ballast in a boat. Instead shift usable gear around to balance as required. Batteries, anchor chain, etc.
Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
gkettler1@hughes.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: water problem Reply with quote

To all of you "Thanks for the info" Esp Wandering Sagebrush. I am also retired, and don't like work either>The cover seems to be the best idea. I do not like dead ballest either, but I carry little gear, and the batteries, and fuel tanks are already in the stern, other than that all I carry is a cooler, life jackets, flares etc hardly any weight. The anchor chain I removed from the bow, was sitting on deck within 2ft of the stern, and the boat still was pretty level. It will take alot of weight to bring the stern down, a couple inches. I will call C-dory tomorrow, but I'm sure they will have a disclaimer.Thanks again & keep the info comming. When I get this problem whipped, I will give you all the details Thanks again Grant
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ferret30

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lily Pad
Photos: Lily Pad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant, the current factory did not build your boat. There have been several since yours was made, so they may not even be familiar with it. I think you should post some pictures.

It almost sounds like your 22 was modified or it is an Angler, not a Cruiser, but event the current 22 Angler has a bulkhead.

One thing to think about is to have a removable bilge pump located where the water is pooling when moored. It would require a little wiring, but you could make a harness for it so it could plug into a connector nearby. The output could go to the motor well or over the side.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so now we know, your 22 is not like the rest, it is a little bit different. Smile

The missing bulkhead, galley cabinetry, and empty tanks will have it setting lighter in the stern. Don't know what you have for power, but if it is a single and no kicker, adding a kicker would add some useful weight to the stern. Now water tank? All of those things make up added weight that I am betting the waterlines on the hull are set up for.

One other possibility. If you have a brass stem strip, some of those have been known to leak and the water accumulates under the V-birth and forward of the helm bulkhead. There are several threads here about that, Might be worth exploring that area to see if yuoiu are carrying liquid ballast up there.

As was mentioned, the current manufacturer did not build your boat, and most likely will not be able to give you any information that you can't get here. It sure would be worth a try though. One should always give them their chance.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 22 hull has rocker in the fore and aft direction, and the lowest point when not underway is at the bulkhead or where the bulkhead would be. In the standard 22 cruisers, any cockpit water collects at the bulkhead when not underway. Having empty fuel tanks can only make it worse.

Filling the fuel tanks will help, but a slant-back cockpit cover may be your best solution.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
gkettler1@hughes.net

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Water Problem Reply with quote

Again, thanks for the info. I have a Honda 90 on the boat, and have. portable fuel tanks . I don't keep them full, I keep just enough for the day, and enough for emergency, due to ethanol crud!!!!!!!. This is a great boat, and a very dry boat, until it rains hard while sitting at the dock. It is a ballest problem. It is just light enough in the stern, that rain water runs over the lip , and into the cabin. It is just a pain cleaning out the rain water, before the boat would get very low in the water the only bilge pump would turn on, and prevent serious damage to the boat or gear. In the last day we got 3in of rain, and the boat has 3in of rain water in it. Sloching around won't happen, as I would never leave the dock in that state. I think a cover may be in order. Thanks Grant
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definately have a problem unique to your C-Dory as most of us complain of being stern heavy. I second the slanted mooring cover and movable bilge pump rigged with a plug on a pigtail that you place in the center when moored. Another solution, though not as convenient, would be to get 5 gal. jugs filled with water (40# each but weightless if the boat sinks) placed in the stern when docked and left at the dock when out for the day.

Jay
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. we would need to see pictures
2. fix the problem. Water in the foam/space under the v-berth?
G Gallagher

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Reel Salty
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Bow down. Is it possible that you have leaking into the flotation between the hull and the floor up front from outside? Possibly leaking thru the gelcoat? Not a pleasant thought.

Pretty unusual for C-Dorys to be bow heavy.

gkettler1@hughes.net

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: water problem Reply with quote

To: C-Green, and all others Thanks. I just came back from pumping out the boat. It was all rain water. I have no leaks. It is just too bow heavy, to allow the rain water to run to the stern, to be pumped out by the bilge pump. I checked on getting a cover made, we will get measurements tomorrow, and should be completed in a week. When I pumped the boat this morning I noticed a 11/2inch round rubber plug in the deck under the porti poti. Is that left over from molding the hull, as I have no idea. I like the idea from C-Green with a moveable bilge pump, and a pigtail plug, thats another good idea thanks. Well I will catch you all later, and keep you informed Grant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: