HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

bottom paint

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcarli

C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Soulmate
Photos: Soulmate
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: bottom paint Reply with quote

Hi All
we should be receiving our new cd 25 in the next few weeks. We have never had a "brand new" boat so not sure about prepping for the bottom paint. Does a primer need to be put on first before applying the paint? What about
an epoxy barrier coat. Also since we are coming from sail we always used ablative paints, so what is a good bottom paint for cd's?
thanks
bill & chris
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill and chris-

Are you going to moor the boat? If so, you'll need the bottom paint. I wouldn't bottom paint a boat unless necessary, as it is an irreversible step.

I bottom painted by CD-22 for the California Delta, but after 2 years, moved to fresh water at Shasta Lake where it is now not necessary, as the boat can be pulled and cleaned every so many months. Wish I'd never had it painted ($1100 first time, including barrier coat).

The bottom paint type should be based on the waters you are moored in, as the the temperature, salinity, and types of organisms vary from area to area. Consult with SEVERAL local marine suppliers and shops to get a reasonable consensus.

I've never heard of a C-Dory developing blisters. The barrier coat is one or more coats of epoxy applied to prevent water penetration and blistering.
The hull must be sanded for any paint to be applied. The fear is that the sanding can allow water through the gel coat and develop blisters between it and the hull fiberglass.

If you sanded the hull yourself lightly (the commercial boys sometimes use a 3" belt sander with 80 grit and a guy on his back on a creeper who wants to get the job over with quickly), you might be able to sand it enough to get the paint to stick w/o the barrier coat. We'll have to wait and see if any of our folks have been successful with this approach. For absolute safety, the barrier coat (or as many as 3 as some outfits would like to apply) is a good insurance policy.

The epoxy usually serves as the primer coat to apply the bottom paint to, unless the paint chosen has special requirements or you're interested in fairing the bottom and/or hiding any deep sanding scratches. Fairing a sailboat hull for racing takes on new dimensions in this area!!!

Are you planning on doing the work yourself?

Read the discussion of bottom paints on the West Marine Advisor as a start in developing further understanding of this subject.

Also, if you're not going to be mooring in salt water for extended periods, there are some other coatings that can be applied to prevent some types of marine growth w/o disturbing the original hull finish!

Got to go to the lake now that all the weekend crazies are gone!! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Norm S

City/Region: Tacoma Wa
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 18 Angler
Vessel Name: The Divine Miss C
Photos: The Divine Miss C
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a C Dory can develop blisters! My 84 does have some. They are not real bad though and that is after 21 yrs of not being well cared for. It is one of the issues that I will deal with in the long term but not bad enough to require immediate attention.
Cheers

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Cheers
Photos: Cheers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Bottom Paint Reply with quote

My '84 Angler also had developed very small blisters which prompted my adding bottom paint. Check the "Cheers" album for several pictures of the process used on my boat.
bcarli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for the info. I do think a wipe down with some solvent de waxer and then sanding lightly, then barrier coat and bottom paint is the answer. Thought when we sold the sailboat and switched to a brand new boat all the work was behind me..... guess not
bill & chris
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and Chris --

As Joe said, if you are going to trailerboat your new C-Dory, you won't need bottom paint, since you'll be pulling her out often. As he said, only if you are going to leave her in the salt water should you go through the expense and work of bottom paint. Good argument for using the trailer rather than a slip or mooring.

bcarli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: bottom paint Reply with quote

we will be keeping the boat in Friday Harbor year round in the water so it seems that bottom paint is a must, its just whether to have the factory do it or save some money and do it myself.
thanks again for the input
bill & chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: