View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Early Spring in Puget Sound Reply with quote

We are not anxious for spring or anything, but what all is there to do this time of year? Got all the fluids and filters changed in the main, kicker and dingy motor and have a new windless begging for use. Late last April is the earliest we have been there when we did Sucia, then Buchart Gardens. We may not have much time this summer.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we're going lake fishing next weekend as our first trip, but later in April we will probably head north to the San Juan area.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/puget/reports.php?MA=5

Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, There have been some stellar days in the Sound, Straits and San Juans already this year. They are just not all in a row! If you don't mind waiting out a few rainy ones, you could find some nice Spring cruising.

I can't think of better places to wait out weather than Port Townsend, Langley, Friday Harbor, Bellingham, Bell Harbor and Anacortes.

There's lots of weather stations to monitor for safety. Hope to see you out here!

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wandering around south Puget Sound for the last week. Lots to see!

Lots of State Parks (like McMicken Island, Joemma, Eagle Island, etc) offer privacy, hiking, and so forth. They're just about deserted this time of year, especially mid week.

Tacoma really surpassed me as a destination. Dock Street Marina is fantastic and it's very close to the Glass Museum, Washington State History Museum, and LeMay Car Museum.

Swantown Marina in Olympia is fantastic. The capitol is nearby.

Boston Harbor Marina and Lakebay Marina are other favorites. Both have enthusiastic new owners. They're small and a bit rustic, but quaint and unpretentious. They remind me a bit of places in the Broughtons.

Cruising this time of year can be great, but you'll miss the social side of things. There simply aren't many other cruisers!

DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20dauntless wrote:
I've been wandering around south Puget Sound for the last week. Lots to see!

Lots of State Parks (like McMicken Island, Joemma, Eagle Island, etc) offer privacy, hiking, and so forth. They're just about deserted this time of year, especially mid week.

Tacoma really surpassed me as a destination. Dock Street Marina is fantastic and it's very close to the Glass Museum, Washington State History Museum, and LeMay Car Museum.

Swantown Marina in Olympia is fantastic. The capitol is nearby.

Boston Harbor Marina and Lakebay Marina are other favorites. Both have enthusiastic new owners. They're small and a bit rustic, but quaint and unpretentious. They remind me a bit of places in the Broughtons.

Cruising this time of year can be great, but you'll miss the social side of things. There simply aren't many other cruisers!

those are all great marina's we visited last year. we moored one day at Jones Island, then hiked the island.

Stayed at swantown, cruised to Jarrel Cove and explored that area, that was great. I think we went all the way up to Allyn / Grapeview and visited that city dock, then walked into the local restaurant there too.

From Pt Defiance, cruised up past Blakely into Eagle Harbor on Bainbridge island and used the city dock to tie up for a few hours while we had dinner at the local pub (walking distance).

we loved dock street marina. very nice facility to overnight then explore one of our favorite parts of Tacoma (just a block or two from the Swiss Pub).

so many options. Friday Harbor is a favorite of ours too. or on the south side, cruise into Gig Harbor and tie up at the Tides Tavern and have lunch there.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday, Brianna and I will be out trolling for blackmouth off Camano island. The weather and wind looks too good not to bag work and get the boat out. It will be the first time we've had it out since early November and I can't wait!

When we lived in the south end, we spent alot of time at Boston Harbor marina since we lived just up the road. The guest moorage is terribly exposed to the elements and ship wakes but the atmospere couldnt be beat. Just hanging out on the boat bbq'ing and enjoying everyones company was great. A very friendly bunch down there, even if the old guys were a little bit overly pickled! Beer
kennharriet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. We are formulating a plan in the next couple weeks. : )
kennharriet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We launched from Bham on Friday morning after a nice visit with Ruth and Joe in the parking lot. We spent the first night in Eagle Harbor on Cypress. The following morning we did some hiking there then on to a mooring ball on the south side of Spencer Spit on Lopez where we hiked the loop at the state park. Last night was on a mooring ball at Prevost Harbor on Stewart Is. We hiked the loop trails there, then ran the dingy over to the county dock this morning where we hiked to the Turn Point Lighthouse. With the small craft advisory tonight we are hunkered in at Roche Harbor. Will make a plan in the morning based on the concept of not making a schedule. The weather has been great so far. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: