HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Computer Software Package for Making Maps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Computer Software Package for Making Maps Reply with quote

was looking for a good software to make maps of the United States. What I have in mind, is being able to enter a city and/or a zip code, and a "pin" marker, or symbol making show up on the map. We hand made these with data collected from all types of things when in the Guard for Recruiting and Retention to track school populations, enlistment areas, home of records for our soldiers to plan travel...etc... but, it was slow and hard. Anyone know or use a software package like that on the market today?
Byrdman
Byrdman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be neat to see the home ports/locations of the vessels attending gatherings... or owner populations for those who wanted to participate.
Patrout

City/Region: NORTH POLE
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-FARER
Photos: C-FARER
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Byrdman,

Were you looking for something less involved than the "Mapmaker" programs? There is quite a bit of GIS stuff out there but a lot of it is spendy and kinda clunky. If you haven't already peeked, here is one of the suppliers (in the UK.)

http://www.mapmaker.com/pro.htm

Pat
Byrdman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Target on Pat! That is exactly what I am looking for. You did good. Thanks!
Byrdman
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Some Ideas... Reply with quote

Hi Pat,

One program that will likely do what you want is MicroSoft Streets & Trips ($35 / http://www.microsoft.com/streets/default.mspx ). It is simple to use and fairly cheap. You can also buy it with a small GPS receiver, plug it into a laptop, and use it for landmapping while driving around in a car or motorhome. With the GPS receiver it is a little over $100 through Amazon.com.

Another program (much more robust) is MicroSoft MapPoint. It moves up into the "business mapping software" category, and can do just about anything relating to people, tracking customer databases, importing phone lists with a map, depict population and census data - it just goes on and on....

Of course that sophistication comes at a cost. MapPoint 2004 retails is about $250 through Amazon. You can still purchase MapPoint 2002 for about $120. As far as I know 2002 and 2004 are nearly the same program; 2004 just "updates" some of the onboard data files.

If you're at Blakely, ask me about MapPoint (2002) and I'll show it to you. Pretty cool program but overkill for most situations. In my (recent) previous life our Analyst training course had a section on the investigative applications of using MapPoint. In the hands of a skilled geek (certainly not me...) it's awesome.

Now if you want to go completely over-the-top, look at DeLorme XMap 4.5 ($200). It is a fairly complete global information system (GIS) package that will just blow you away. It also gets into both 2D and 3D mapping. The capabilities are spectacular in the hands of a 25 year old soldier expert in its use. To the rest of us ... well - the maps are Real pretty.

Casey (the mapping junkie)
C-Dory Naknek
Byrdman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All righty Casey !!! Yep, know just what you mean about "in the hands of those who know how to drive and thrive it." Sort of like some of our database freeks, spreadsheet freaks, photolab freaks....and that big ol printer that prints anything on just about any type of paper/roll material that is 36" wide...and how ever long the roll of paper is way bad. And, like you...well, yes...it is pretty. But, for me to be able to post new soldier movement data over EOD activity data and have it on a 36"x48" wall poster where I could actually see it and brief off it without having to take out laptop/powerpoint etc... well...you get the idea. I miss that printer....and the young soldier who really knew how to use it. Thanks! and look forward to seeing you soon on the island.
Byrdman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: