View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZoeB

City/Region: Key West
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Zoe B
Photos: Zoe B
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Floorboards c-dory 19Ft Reply with quote

Looking to put floorboards in my 19 ft c-dory to keep my feet dry. I have seen postings of ones people have built but they were way beyond my skill level--any idea where/if I can purchase? Not really interested in the dri-deck sort of stuff.

Thanks

Zoe B
Wrinkles

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: floor boards Reply with quote

Hear you on this but think you will have to build yourself or find someone to build them for you.
Going to to the same myself

Don
Terrace BC Canada
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge your only options are:
1) Dri-deck or similar. You can buy something similar for about 1/4 the money at Home Depot. That's what I used in my 22. The pluses of these tiles are: a) Easy to install b) Easy to remove and clean under (and you will want to clean under them occasionally) c) Not so tall - this keeps more of your legs below the top edge of the sides of the boat and increases safety a tad. d) Keeps your feet dry when there's not much water in the boat. The downsides are: a) Not particularly good looking relative to some nice floor boards b) The floor remains curved c) You can see the stuff that collects in all the holes (this can be viewed as a plus since you can easily clean).
2) Build your own floor boards.
3) Pay someone else to build your own floor boards.

I don't think the factory made floor boards for the 19's but I could be wrong.

nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my 19 I had problems with excess water sloshing around on the deck that made rubber boots a requirement. I briefly considered the addition of floorboards. I could pump out most of the water but it would soon be back. I finally found the source of the problem in the bilge pump plumbing. The discharge tube that went up to the discharge thru hull fitting but didn't go up above the discharge fitting to create a high spot so that as waves or chop could not come in thru the bilge pump. Once I put in a longer discharge tube that went above the fitting & then back down to the fitting the problem was gone. The deck is always wet or at least damp as the pump won't pump every last drop of water so as the boat rolls the residual water temporarily migrates out of the sump then back again. Not a problem, I always wear rubber boots anyway. Hope this helps. I didn't like the idea of pulling the floorboards every time to clean out all the fermenting fish blood & parts. Vern
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we put industrial closed cell foam flooring over the dri deck on the first 22. This allowed circulation of water, and any debris under the dri deck, yet a comfortable footing surface. The material came from SAMS at that time. It held up well,and went with the boat when we sold it.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ZoeB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

I am waiting to hear back from the factory on specifics, but they sent me an email saying that they do have floorboards for the 19 ft angler. They replied to my email saying "You are able to get them through the factory.
The floor boards are $600.00 each or $1800 for the set of 3". I sent a follow up to get more details.

Probably going to opt to have a local build them for the Zoe B.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The floor boards in the 2006 22 are two pieces--one port and one starboard. I don't know what is available for the 19, but wonder why they quoted your 3 pieces?
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I visited Triton in the summer of 2012, they had the molds for floorboards for the 19 (but not for the 22). If I remember correctly, they looked just like the 22 boards, but of course a bit shorter fore-and-aft (which would mean two pieces with a split running down the middle from the door to the splashwell).
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoeB wrote:
Thanks everyone.

I am waiting to hear back from the factory on specifics, but they sent me an email saying that they do have floorboards for the 19 ft angler. They replied to my email saying "You are able to get them through the factory.
The floor boards are $600.00 each or $1800 for the set of 3". I sent a follow up to get more details.

Probably going to opt to have a local build them for the Zoe B.

$1800 for set of three? That's outrageous! When we bought our 2005 CD22 new, we ordered floorboards. I may be off a little bit but I'm pretty sure that was an option for 2 floorboards priced at $500 give or take. I'll check my original quote at home. But surely nowhere near $1800 or even $1000. And like Bob stated, we only have the 2 floorboards for our CD22, I'm not sure why you would need 3? We really love the floor boards. They make it really easy to pull up and clean both the floor boards and the floor, plus of course the cockpit floor is flat. Totally glad we chose that option.

I know there are a few craftsman on the site who fabricated their own floorboards. Check out the pics in their album, especially if you will be hiring somebody to make them for you. Good luck in your search.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall the third floorboard for the 19 fits between the two seat boxes, making a level floor that has no lip at the aft end of the seat boxes. The 22 floorboards end at the bulkhead.

To me, the factory floorboards in the 19, take away cabin headroom and cockpit side height, plus you add weight to the transom.

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An additional comment with a couple of caveats:

I have a set of 22 "factory" floorboards. I bought them from another 22 (the owner didn't use them so they were stored in the garage), which, if I remember correctly, was a 2003 model. Anyway, I was thrilled to get them, they looked to be in very nice shape, and I like the function.

To make a long story short, a couple of "little" issues had me delving into them to take what I thought would be minor corrective measures. Instead I found the construction to be so poor, and the issues so extensive (due to the construction methods) that to fix them would be very costly and time consuming (I have the tools and the know-how, so it's not that) -- to the point that I'm not sure whether I'm going to fix them up, or just make a set from scratch. Basically, they were not made very well.

The new builder very well be making them differently and better (and or perhaps the issues were particular to this one set). However, I would want to check before forking out that sort of money. They are very nice in that they fit well, look good, and look "built in" since they have rounded corners and matching gelcoat.

Home-made ones might be able to be made lighter, but I'm not sure. If so it would be a plus (not that the "factory" ones are super heavy, but they are not super light either).

Sunbeam
haliman

State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 19' and recent quote (Last couple of months) I was told from Northwest was $1,500.00. Guess they have gone up. Either way too much for me.
ZoeB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke with the factory and they said there are 2 in the cockpit and one in the cabin. $1800 is a sporty number and also does not include the shipment costs to Key West.

I am looking at alternatives but as of yet have not found someone local who can fabricate.
C-addiction

City/Region: Reedsport
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: C-addction
Photos: C-addction
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory deck plates in my 19 angler.
It is nice to have the flat deck throughout, although the plates give and tend to slide around a bit. You definitely need to remember to remove them when cleaning or the smell will drive you out of the boat.

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-addiction wrote:
... although the plates give and tend to slide around a bit.

The "give" may be because yours are built and/or failing like mine did (which may not be how they build them now). Mine weren't to the "giving" stage yet, but would have been shortly. I found a couple of hairline cracks on the underside corresponding roughly with where one would step in from the cockpit. Figured I would enlarge them a bit, fiberglass, and be done with it. However...

As I opened up the crack I found wet core, and worse, it just went on and on. I ended up dissecting most of the board (due to the wet core and what I was finding), and I believe that certain characteristics of the construction caused both the cracks and the extreme water spread. I've been meaning to write this up, but in brief:

If your boards are like mine, you will see fore-and-aft "steps" or levels on the underside. This is so they can be thicker in the center and thinner where the hull starts to curve up toward the sides. The way mine were built, each "level" was a separate piece of core, and there were very large gaps running the full length between each piece, corresponding with the level changes. These were not filled with anything. The fiberglass was all chopped mat, from what I could tell (weak).

So, the large gaps created weak-point, "lines" the length of the floorboards, the fiberglass was weak anyway, and this allowed the easy formation of longitudinal cracks. The large gaps also allowed any water that found its way into said cracks (not hard when it is the bottom of a floorboard) to travel easily through the floorboard, soaking the core as it went. Wet core, gaps, etc. will all let the floorboard "give," instead of being firm as it should be.

I bought my floorboards used, but they had mostly been stored in a garage. After very little use, I found the cracks, opened them up, and now I'm not sure whether I will repair them or just build my own. I do like the look and fit. It
It would be nice if they were putting them together better now (and they very well may be).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: