journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been anchoring for ~40 years and I'm always learning something new. The above advice is excellent, but there is one important point I'd like to mention.

So here's my advice. Read what you can, think about it a little, and then the important part. GO PRACTICE. Not in the middle of a cruise, but somewhere easy, such as the edge of a harbour, where it's calm and not too deep. Try setting the anchor, backing down, riding to it, retrieving the !@@#$ thing and stowing/cleaning it.

You'll find out that it's straightforward and easy, you will gain confidence and you'll keep learning, little by little.

Boris
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if anybody has pointed this out but for windlasses not all chain is equal. The standard proof coil chain will not work in many windlasses. The link size is incorrect. G4, BBB, etc. with shorter links is needed. I'd check for the windlass mfr's chain recommendations.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the windlass in the size which our boats fall into use the 1/4" G4 chain. Some of the windlass have different chain gypsys which can be switched out for different types (link length), and size chain--but the most common is the Lewmar Windlass, which uses the 1/4" G 4. You don't have to have 25 feet of chain--15 feet is fine. The chain is to prevent abrasion of the rope, where it is near the bottom, and the reason I mentioned heavy chain, was because you were contemplating anchoring in deep water with a low scope of only 2: 1.

In the C Dory, I usually only have 200 feet of line, and 25 feet of chain. I carry another 200 feet or more in separate hanks of line. For larger boats, with larger lines, and much larger anchoring loads it is best to have that line all in one piece--up to 200 feet of chain and 400 feet of rope.

As for type of anchor: The Danforth/Danforth pattern (there are many imitations) may work for you--but it is best as a sand/mud anchor. You have it, so give it a try.

Also if you are going to be anchoring in rocks, consider a "break away" system, especially for day and fishing type of anchoring. If the anchor gets stuck, then you can retrieve it.

The most basic system shackles the chain to the crown or part of the anchor furtherest down (labeled as a tripping ring below). Then the chain is run back along the shank, and an electrical tie holds it to the top of the shank, in the place where the chain would normally shackle. A hard pull sideways, will break that electrical tie, and then you can pull the anchor up by its crown:

Below a Danforth

An illustration on a "Claw" or Bruce type:

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a proponent of overkill with all of the individual components making up the anchoring system. For 10 boating seasons with our CD 22 we didn't have a windless, went with the max size anchor & chain I could pull by hand with a 3/8 inch three strand rope. The anchor was a 22 lb claw & the chain 30 ft of 1/4 inch. By the end of the ten years my hands had enough of pulling over & over that combination & a slip ring & buoy quick pull as mentioned has some serious drawbacks. So, a year ago, I still not being convinced a windless was needed purchased 250 feet 8 plait 1/2 inch rode, 50 feet of 1/4 inch G4 chain & a 15 lb Manson Supreme anchor. This combination though not overkill, seemed more than adequate & with the 1/2 rope, workable still by hand. Well after ordering all the above along with a new bow roller & installing them, Jolee's back problems & resulting operation with thoughts of I may be doing much more single handed boating in the future convinced me to finally purchase a windless. With overkill still on my mind, went with a Lewmar 700H along with a Wireless controller. Even with the limited boating I did last season this combination proved to be very good, but still in my mind not overkill. Then from an exchange of emails's with Dr Bob got very interested in the new Manson Boss anchor, which appears with its huge fluke area to excel in soft mud, the main bottom type I found the claw & even the 15 lb Manson Supreme lacking. This has now lead me to the purchase today of a 25 lb Manson Boss, which will finally totally satisfy my desire to be set up for overkill with all anchoring components & I'm sure looking forward to throughly testing them after Friday Harbor in the PNW.

The 15 lb Manson Supreme will make a perfect spare anchor on a cruise & one I can pull by hand if the windless malfunctions.

High on my list of making anchoring a more simple process is using a anchor that easily sets & holds in a variety of bottom types. I know the Manson Surpreme will do this & from what I've been able to read about the Manson Boss it's perhaps an improvement over the Supreme at the same weight. It's going to be fun this summer seeing how well my new anchoring set up works out.

Jay

NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
I've been anchoring for ~40 years and I'm always learning something new. The above advice is excellent, but there is one important point I'd like to mention.

So here's my advice. Read what you can, think about it a little, and then the important part. GO PRACTICE. Not in the middle of a cruise, but somewhere easy, such as the edge of a harbour, where it's calm and not too deep. Try setting the anchor, backing down, riding to it, retrieving the !@@#$ thing and stowing/cleaning it.

You'll find out that it's straightforward and easy, you will gain confidence and you'll keep learning, little by little.

Boris

Wholeheartedly agree - practice is absolutely key to anchoring success. Once you've learned by doing a number of times, and survived a few windy nights, you'll be comfortable.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying this thread. I've anchored a fair number of times, but I've picked up a few pointers and mentally reviewed as I read it. Good stuff Thumbs Up (Plus, the 22 is a whole new kettle of fish for me.)

Hunkydory wrote:
IWith overkill still on my mind, went with a Lewmar 700H along with a Wireless controller. ....This has now lead me to the purchase today of a 25 lb Manson Boss...

Sure Jay, first I had to buy the wireless remote (after seeing you using it on Powell) and now my 15# Manson Supreme feels puny. Underkill! Wink

Of course now that I have a windlass...
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate all the information posted up here! lots of good insight. after thinking it over we are going to go with the 8 plait rope and 25' of G4 HT chain, defender has a pre made one that will fit the bill although they do not specify if acco is the maker of chain I have an email out to them now asking this. they also seem to have the best deal I could find on the web for a rode.
the premade one is 300' overall 25 of chain and 275 rope. hoping that with the plait it will all fit in the locker.

The windlass is on the radar for a late season add on or winter project so We will only be anchoring without one this year. I am 95% sold on the lewmar 700 sport fishing model.( I will have questions on proper use of this when it gets added on). the EZ pull anchor deal was something we purchased back when we had our olympic boat and even then never used it. Figured we had it so mine as well use it. there was also discussion of using our shrimp pot puller to pull the anchor as well. but in the end we will get a windlass.

also i like the break away set up thataway posted and will rig ours the same. for now we will use the danforth but imagine we will go with a mason sometime this summer.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 300ft of 1/2 inch 3 strand plus 35 ft of G4 1/4 inch chain in our locker. It is very full and sometimes one of us has to be in the vee berth making sure the rode does not pile up too much but it does fit. 8 plait, I'm told, lays much flatter.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't resist. I've used the following anchors, in order of appearance:

Danforth - all through So Cal, sand, mud, rocks kelp, worked great.

CQR -Heavy duty plow, hooks in rocks, heavy enough for kelp, travels in mud (plow). unbreakable

Fortress -Small ones not heavy enough to set, unless in sand.

Bruce -great in sand, mud, catches rocks (good), doesn't set well in kelp

Manson Supreme -good in sand, kelp, travels in mud (small cross section.)

For the best all around use, I'll vote for a Danforth. I think a Bruce is better in mud, but the Danforth works. And everything works well in sand, that's why they test them there.

So try the Danforth.

And this is all my opinion, yours will vary.

Boris
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky, Boris.... slipping in a "which anchor" debate Cool

I'll say that many anchors can work well, some work well in variety of conditions and situations, and work well but in specific conditions or situations. And yes, I'm leading up to why I wouldn't carry a Danforth for my primary anchor (but why Jake might).

A weakness of the Danforth (and all anchors have one/some) is that it may not reliably re-set with a wind or tide shift. I tend to either leave my boat at anchor, or sleep aboard, and I don't want to wonder if the tide/wind might change and cause a re-set problem. So I prefer other anchors (have successfully used Bruce, CQR, and Manson Supreme) for a primary anchor.

I do like a Danforth for a stern hook (e.g. to keep the stern from swinging in a narrow channel), or for a lunch hook (i.e. not leaving the boat or going to sleep).

Anyway, that's my "contribution."

Sunbeam
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamer wrote:
Jake, I have a copy of "The complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring by Earl Hinz. It has more info on anchoring than you will ever need but a lot of good info too. As you know, I'm in Sequim too. PM me if you want to borrow it.

Good book. Tons of info.

And as usual, Roger is correct. The details in that book made me feel, at times, like I was back in college. Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink

For the PNW I like the Delta. Seems to handle just about every bottom we've ever encountered "up here". We have a small Bruce for a lunch hook or back-up etc, but we have never used it.

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo of Hunkydory's 25# Boss anchor on the right.

And here on the boat:

I hope that Jay does not mind my posting his photos.

After looking at the specs and the only Manson Anchor my local West Marine had in stock (a 15# Supreme--I went ahead and ordered the 10# Manson Boss. Its fluke area seems to be the same as the 15 Manson Supreme. In private discussion, Jay pointed out correctly that the 25 # anchor should set faster. He is correct. It will be interesting to see what the holding power of both of these anchors is. My guess is that the Manson will be like the light weight Fortress anchors, the lightweight anchors will have good holding power--and penetration.
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input. we are going to try the Danforth. and see how it does . that is an interesting point sunbeam about wind shift in the middle of the night. as we will be sleeping on the hook this summer.

we will just have to see how she does. Dingy and rode have all shown up now and all I need now is to uncover the boat wash and wax and start experimenting..

I think until we get the windlass I will be storing rode in a bucket and it will be easier to use rather than the small hole originally installed in 89 for access to locker.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a milk crate or laundry basket rather than a bucket. This way the water will drain out. I find the plastic milk crates (or purchased at boating shops now days), are ideal for storage of many items on boats.

The issue with storing a bucket or crate on the C Dory is potential compromise of view forward--and not easy to take that much weight aft. That is why folks put the anchor rode down the hawse pipe, after the line has drained. Not that hard to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: