The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/20 - Lake Powell 2014 Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the drying times from Utah.

Dry (7 days summer, 18 days spring/fall and 30 days in the winter) or freeze (3 days).

Here is the link to threir site.

https://wildlife.utah.gov/decontaminate.html

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody, thanks for the info! Much appreciated!
JBLECKER

City/Region: San Diego
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hallelujah
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Lake Powell Sept 2014 Reply with quote

We are new owners of a 25' C-Dory 2006 and have not yet even had it in the water. We have gone to Lake Powell with previous boats over the last 15 years +. We are interested in joining the group this coming Sept.

We are from San Diego - does anyone in this area plan on going?
If not, we can meet you in the Oak Canyon area.

We are interested in getting information regarding a cockpit bimini and would welcome any information on purchasing one prior to Sept.
John and Grayle Blecker
(we are new to the site and trying to find our way around it)
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Lake Powell Sept 2014 Reply with quote

Our cruise leader, Chris on Rana Verde is from Sandy Eggo, so you might want to PM him...

JBLECKER wrote:
We are new owners of a 25' C-Dory 2006 and have not yet even had it in the water. We have gone to Lake Powell with previous boats over the last 15 years +. We are interested in joining the group this coming Sept.

We are from San Diego - does anyone in this area plan on going?
If not, we can meet you in the Oak Canyon area.

We are interested in getting information regarding a cockpit bimini and would welcome any information on purchasing one prior to Sept.
John and Grayle Blecker
(we are new to the site and trying to find our way around it)

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and Grayle,

Welcome! And congrats on your new C-Dory Thumbs Up As Pat mentioned, the Lake Powell cruise leader is from the San Diego area, so at least one other boat will be heading the same direction. People do tend to come to Powell from all over the map though.

I am hoping to be there - it's really fantastic (as you know from your previous trips).

One odd/funny thing about a bimini at Powell (for me anyway). I'm usually the type that always likes "roofs." I tend to like porches, and on most boats always have the bimini up, and/or like to hang out in a semi-enclosed space. I'm not one for the open cockpit. But on Powell, even though I have a bimini, I didn't put it out even once. I loved being able to look up into all the amazing canyons as we puttered in and out of them with nothing over the cockpit. I guess because the weather is mostly conducive to having the door and windows of the main cabin open, the cabin roof was like the bimini, and then the cockpit was good totally open. Too, it wasn't the hottest of years, so that may make a difference. The previous year I was on another (similar) boat and we had a golf umbrella type of setup. I just mention these things in case for some reason there is a crunch getting a bimini specifically for Powell.

That said, there must be some great canvas makers in your area. It seems like the best option is a good local canvas-maker, with "the other option" being to buy a pre-made one from King Canvas (they made many of the "stock" ones for C-Dorys, so I think they will make them without having your boat there, although I'm not sure.) I think I would prefer an excellent local shop though, myself. I think the 25 "Dora~Jean" has some really nice canvas that was made in the Los Angeles area (you could check his album), although I realize that's not exactly San Diego.

Sunbeam

PS: I just remembered you said you were new to the site and getting used to navigating it, so here is a link to Dora~Jean's album. He had the cover (in the photo album) made at Van Nuys Canvas , and it looks like perhaps the bimini too. When he talked about it in a post I got the feeling it was a great shop. The cover certainly looks nice. If you want to get in touch with him you could PM him.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=DoraJean&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave's Custom Canvas on Shelter Island has been around for a long time and has a good reputation. A local canvas shop, who measures your boat is the best in the long run.

Although we do not take our full camper back canvas to Powell, we always have the Bimini cockpit shade available, and up most of the time. If you want to roll it up, it takes a minute or so.

The majority of boats at Powell have Bimini's. The sun and heat can be significant.

Our Fearless leader even has a Bimini on his chair!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Our Fearless leader even has a Bimini on his chair!

Although funny enough, not on his boat! Laughing That chair does rock Thumbs Up

Just in case it seemed that way, I wasn't advocating for no bimini on Powell, but just remarking that, "oddly" for me, I didn't use mine on Powell (usually I like it up all the time). Was just mentioning that in case for some reason it was a real crunch to get one for Powell, and you thought you "had" to have one. They are wonderful, IMO.
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and Grayle (interesting name),

As you might expect, C-Brat's usually have very good ideas and recommendations. Your bimini/camper canvas is no exception.

As Sunbeam mentioned, a Bimini isn't critical, but Mary and I have found it Very handy at Powell. I would recommend getting it - if the chosen shop's work schedule permits you to get it done in time for the September Gathering. Expressed another way ... if the shop cannot comfortably accommodate you in the time available; don't rush it!

C-Dory's tend to be equipped mostly for fishing or cruising. If your interests are mostly cruising you will want to do a fair amount of research before you jump in to your canvas work. Having a bimini fabricated is fairly straight forward. If you want to have camper canvas made the project will be more complex (and expensive). We find that having full campper canvas is extremely useful in our cruising mode, and virtually doubles your available living space aboard. We wouldn't be without it (although we have cruised with out the camper canvas). Just make sure the bimini and camper canvas work together seamlessly (pun intended).

Again, don't rush the job, and don't be afraid to take your boat to someone that's been recommended. (Example: I trailered "Naknek" from Arizona to Whidbey Island just so the guy's there [I forgot their names - they're no longer in business] would do the job. The canvas was Perfect.)

The important step is to think/research what-it-is you want. George and Carolyn (C-Dory "Kerry On") have recently gone through the whole process and did a LOT of thinking/research prior to their recent canvas work. Contact them for in-put (or, George may chime-in).

To recap:
(1) Don't rush the job.
(2) Figure out what YOU want.
(3) Keep your checkbook handy (dont' scrimp; you'll regret it)
(4) Keep a golf (or beach) handy for Powell, if necessary.
(4) Don't use Tenara thread on your window sams. (For the price of two beers I'll tell you the Rest of that story!)

Best,
Casey&Mary
(...currently in Frankfurt)

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey,

Well put! What I was thinking but somehow didn't say as well Very Happy

I agree on all your points. My boat came with just a bimini, and I have seen many others (in photos here). There is a fair bit of variation, but they mostly seem to work well, and as you say, fairly simple (although there are still things that make one nicer than another)

But camper canvas... whole different ball game, with many more points to consider. Like you, when I eventually get one, I'll be traveling long-distance to wherever I feel will do the best job. I was going to go for one right away when I bought the boat, but since there is so much to think about decided to go with the existing bimini for awhile to see how I used the boat, what I might like or dislike, etc. (My bimini is a light one on an aluminum frame, so a camper canvas will be a whole new setup.)

One option if scheduling is tight or you do want some use time to consider your priorities in a bimini or camper canvas: The first year I went to Powell was on a boat similar to a C-Dory that did not have a bimini; we brought a large golf type umbrella and guyed it over the cockpit with various lines. That worked reasonably well, if not my choice for permanent use.
kevin ware

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: El Gato Thomas
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: lake powell Reply with quote

We are interested in going this September. The only part that gives us hesitation is the long road trip with boat trailer from Seattle.

We have a suitable pickup and the boat trailer is salt free, never the less, it seems like some caravaning would be a good idea. Anyone else going that way and towing?

Kevin & Kari Ware
El Gato Thomas
Tom Cat 25.5
kevin ware

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: El Gato Thomas
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Lake Powell Reply with quote

Is anyone from the Seattle area towing a boat to Lake Powell this September? We are considering towing ours via Boise, SLC then down to Page, leaving around 9/15. Two rigs would be better than one, should there be some issue on the road.

Kevin Ware
el Gato Thomas
Tom Cat 25.5
jkidd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you will be able to find someone headed that way. You might be able to find someone along the way as well.
jkidd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who like to collect maps here's one for you iphone or ipad.

You can pay for the upgrade and the whole thing will be download so you don't need a connection.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey and others offer good advise. We looked at a lot of camperbacks before comitting points we wanted were total leak free design. The canvas guy understood overlap roof to sides, front edges to back edges like a house roof. (Some canvas doesn't do this we see). Don't rush the canvas guy. Let them know what you want ( maybe more fabric as opposed to more window). Ease of entry exit. We didn't zip the bimini front as we are on the hook more than in marinas. Go 1" ss tubes and fittings. Use swelling thread ( Casey knows!). Look at lots of c dory albums till you have figured what you want. Then go for it. Great addition. Doubles the size of the boat. George
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the map app - downloading now. I never want to "rush" summer, as it's my favorite season, but... I can't wait to get back to Powell either Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: