The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

RedFox's going-away party... ;]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redバx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: RedFox's going-away party... ;] Reply with quote

And your all invited (Xmas Naughty)

... Laughing OK, so the managers of this fine site asked me to keep the Pub entertained for the holiday ( Xmas Naughty just kidding Embarassed )

No, it's gonna be a thread for info and methods for moving! (after-hours when were sittin in the Pub BS'n Mr. Green Beer Cigar Wink )

Have a look at what I been bustin-my-ass-on for the last two-weeks... Smile

http://www.msnusers.com/SoundDreams/crap.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=489

Got the monster for 2500.$ delivered ( I hear that's fair and good?) it's our first and only, gonna keep it of course, so fixin-it-up seems well worth it Very Happy. I hear new ones are about 5-grand---- Embarrased Seems almost worth it after what it takes to get one in nice shape Crook Disgust

Most the bangin-up from the longshoremen happens to the roof ( Exclamation ) Saltwater pools up there and makes for rust so thick it's gotta be beat-off with a sledge or chiseled-off before sanding/wirebrushing Crook

OK, sorry bout another non-boat-related bunch of crap again Embarrased Laughing Someone moving might want to learn how others are doin' it... maybe chip-in on your experience
Idea Wink
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

So, are you shipping all your stuff in the container? Does it go by land or water?

And....how much does it cost to ship?

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheesh, you're going to need some trim tabs for sure for those things Smile that's a smokin deal for some sturdy square footage, they sell those flimsy little yard sheds for more than that around here.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after you ship this baby to the new digs, can you then live in it while you're building a new home? Pretty ingenious multiple usage if so! Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Greg... Where are you moving to? PM me if you want.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Butch

City/Region: Rising Sun
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Moving? Greg...Nah! Reply with quote

Greg, you already live in God's country... where ya moving to... I'll bet it's on the count of a gal! I have a buddy who moved his whole family to the middle east for work. They used a large cargo container kind of like the one in your post. Only one thing though... The container was on the deck of a freighter caught in a storm in mid-Atlantic. All their worldly possessions went over board.
Hope you have better luck. Butch

Redバx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NH- That was a trick question to get me to reveal our findings on the web Confused Laughing Well; shipping is really scarry, I checked, it is over 10-grand if it goes by ship (them babys weigh over 4 tons emty) cuz it goes to WA first, then back up through southeast Disgust . I guess there are no "southbound" rates with the one I checked on so far. Neutral It appears there might be a moving sale. Don't think everything is going to fit in there. Been GS'n (garage sales) and getting some great deals on shop stuff (since were not going to be close to any parts stores or good shopping) the "can" is gonna weigh-a-ton Crook

BC- That was my gut feeling! Them things are awesome sturdy, and for the SF just can't be beat for value----long as ya don't need to move them much Crook

SW- Yeah if ya insulate it spoze Neutral Laughing I had ideas of stacking a few, cut entry-ways, do some finnish-work on the inside, even make a nice truss-roof for the top! Yud have an indestructible house. A fella down the street here started his shop out of two of them, spaced them apart, walled them around and added a truss-roof. It's really nice! Yud never know Thumbs Up

Butch- I wish it were a gal Smile I was chasin' Rose Just the need to migrate further into the wilderness and a place "back-in-time" that beckons Thumbs Up
Man after all the packin and gatherin' that thing better not go in the drink Disgust Heard of it happening like you said. Good thing it's just the nice calm summer-waters it might sail on.

As far "where to" yet: Still not concrete on anything. It's tough, very tough to find a home to your liking, even when you compromise and are flexible.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

$10,000!! Sad Crook

Have you checked on having your container hauled by truck?

I bought a new 20 ft container with doors on both ends in 2000 and it was $2500 in Los Angeles. I use it for a storage/shop for my big boat project.
Redバx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it was 12,000 when all said and done Larry Cry Disgust Now we ain't gonna be doin business that way Moon
The outfit that sold it to us (with free delivery) quoted no more than 1500. (roads only) there will be more ferry cost, depending on where we end up movin to... Neutral

From your deal, sounds like I did good on the big basterd Thumbs Up Then again, I looked at several in their container yard, and the 20 footers are the same price as the 40 footers. Only the "high-cub" models they get a little more molla for. I got the only hi-cube they had; it's 15 years old Crook but was a little less beat-up than most in the yard. Coulda got a year 2000 one (non hi-cube) for a little less; it was a lot less rusty Thumbs Up but pretty banged-up. If I had to do it all over again, I'd take 'beat-up' over rusty Disgust they are very easy to straiten-out Thumbs Up I did roof repair (taken-out-big-dents) with a railroad tie (perfectly square on both ends made for a great stand to put a 10-ton jack on and press-out the dents Idea Thumbs Up ) sledge takes out stuff real easy to Thumbs Up
My old longshoreman friend told me them containers are made out of some excellent quality steel Smile Star They gotta be; this one is old enough, and has not rusted-through on the top anywhere Smile you shoulda seen the rust up there Crook
Cool-as-hell ya got one to Thumbs Up The city uses them 20-footers, but they all are enclosed in "T1 11" siding with a nice shingle roof Smile
The other day I was dreamin-up ideas as to convert one into a landing craft Xmas LOL Xmas Eek Yup... then I'd havta get some really large trim-tabs and go-for-it! It'd hav-ta-be inverted first Wink
Oh: them plasma-cutters are the sh*t for addin goodies to them cans Thumbs Up Surprised Smile

A little more info on my hi-cube 40 footer: Weighs 8830 lbs, has GVWR of 58,000 some pounds Xmas Eek spozeta be able to load them sumpinlike 6-high, with 50,000 lbs each in them Xmas Eek you know there tuff stuff Thumbs Up and smell nice to Rose I don't know why, but they do... maybe they all got used for produce hauling somewhere down the line... Rolling Eyes

The CanMan. Greg Xmas Tongue
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg- Screw buying land! Build a floating home out of about four or so of them on a suitable base (barge) and have it towed to where you want to live on the water (protected). Then use the CD as a tender and leave your truck/camper in a nearby town. Use your cash to set up a business in town to earn a living. Live out on the water. Who needs land/property to take care of anywayz? Joe.
Redバx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I luv it Thumbs Up Spoken like a true lover of the sea Love Star Certainly thought of it to Idea just gotta take care of ol ma, she don't always feel like climin-aboard all the time, and it's kinda tough growin cherrys Razz on them "house boats" Xmas LOL
Maybe some day... Rolling Eyes Wink Cigar Mr. Green
toothy

City/Region: Seward
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a once used 40 with doors both ends for around $3500 in Savannah. We stacked it really full and shipped it from the Savannah rail head to my yard in Seward for $4900 rail/sea/truck included. The guy quoted me a price without weighing it, the price was for household goods and garage stuff. I told him my stuff was heavier than most folks and he still didn't want to weigh it Rolling Eyes , after it weighed 35+K I was really happy. I also drove another 34K lbs of gear in 7 highway transits that's 3.5 round road trips, I wouldn't recommend that many road trips. I wish we had gotten another box but we saw some neat stuff on the highway.

Your stuff is insured through your home owners police while on land but not when it gets on a boat. Ask your insurance person if that is correct in your case. Also if going by boat they get real nervous about flamables I mean ANY flamables oil, spray cans, the oil in the gear case of your band saw and lots of other stuff. Put your fire sticks in there if not going through Canada.

Greg try Alaska West Express ask for mr Weide. I wouldn't use my name Wink as he might still be trying to recoup his losses on that deal.

You sure are being cagey about the locale of the new Fox Den! I understand that on this board as some of this crew may just show up for dinner Beer Cigar Cocktail Hug "s Tea Cake And a spot at the dock!!!

Wade
Redバx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Camoly, I did get a good deal on my can then Xmas Eek Thanx for your sharrin here, very innerestin and enlitenin (Idea) to Very Happy Spoze them "double-door" jobs are the shit, and are definitely worth more mola ($) Smile Now that mine has a door on the front... value just shot-up another thousand Smile windows to Mr. Green Cigar (bet you don't have winders-in-yerz though! Moon Xmas Tongue Xmas Naughty )

Yeah, I am remain'n clammed-up about our where-abouts Confused at least on the web ... fer now ... Teeth

Thanx-a-ton-again on that experience Thumbs Up I'll reserve a Cigar ferya if we ever meet some day Wink

Yup, there's still magic-in-the-pub! Cigar Beer Mr. Green
Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cr*(&^%#*&. You know when you get that thing loaded up, something humongous has to pick it up and carry it. Holy cr($^#(*^#.

A friend of mine dismantled an 1830s barn back east, packed it into a 40' can, shipped it to his front door in Alaska, and rebuilt it next to his house. 170 year old lumber - numbered pieces.

When I moved to Alaska, we packed an entire house load of stuff into one of those things, along with a car, and shipped it from Texas to my front door. AMAZING what you can fit in one of those things, and AMAZING what kind of equipment is out there to move them around.

Good Luck. I hear that the fishing is real good in Angoon.

Redバx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More awsome stories and info Thumbs Up Thnx Bob Cigar Mr. Green I'm now thinkin we need another can to fit everything into Rolling Eyes When we arrive; build a shop around around two of them Idea at our leisure to Idea
Probbygonna be right up there with Toothy when it comes to final weight. They warned me "if ya go over 15,000 lbs, we might have to bring out loader to assist in loading it" Disgust Crook That always means more mola --- $$ Cry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: