View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Pt Townsend Coupeville Ferry Reply with quote

Journey on is going to serve as a dry-land RV for a family get-together in Port Townsend and then on up to Bellingham, Wa to launch.

It appears that taking the ferry to Coupeville would save 125 miles of driving. Anybody have experience taking that ferry with a boat? Our tow is ~50' long, 11 ft high, which they take.

Boris
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Boris,

Yes, I have taken SleepyC across on the ferry 4 times. (2 each way). Yes you will fit, and yes you should go that way unless you like to drive in bumper to bumper traffic, at 20 or 30, or 70+ for hours on end. It will save you time, headache and trouble, not to mention the toll fee when you go to cross the Tacoma Narrows bridge -- Embarassed Unless you are going the other way (Bellingham to PT)

The first CBGT I went to in Bellingham, because I was new, and not confident enough to run up the Strait, I trailered from home to Bellingham via Tacoma. Dan and Tanya did it with us, and I'm pretty sure they would not do that again either. It was about an 8 hour tow from Sequim. Just to keep it in boating perspective, Roger and Janet on Dreamer left Sequim 2 hours after we left home and were in B'ham about 2 hours ahead of us.

Take the ferry Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Make the reservation here:
https://secureapps.wsdot.wa.gov/Ferries/Reservations/Vehicle/default.aspx

Hope that helps.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless you, Harvey. It's really nice to have local knowledge. I have the reservation made.

Boris
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might just add that there is a good State RV park at the Coupeville ferry end, AND an excellent launch ramp.

If you do launch there just watch out for the cross tide at the entrance and the rip which is just N of the entrance at peak ebb.

You can park overnight but it is best to let the ranger station at the park know this.

If you are driving onto the ferry, best to come in from the Coupeville end or you will have to drive about 1/2 mile past the ferry line to the turn around. (Turning in the park entrance is quicker but expensive if you get caught)

Merv

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken the 22 across that way a few times, towing with a van. I much prefer coming up the Olympic Peninsula and then crossing there to the other route options. Easy on and off the ferry. There are usually quite a few semis going across on that run and so they put me behind them on the ferry and we both got a bit of extra width. You can easily walk into Port Townsend on that end if you've arrived early and are parked in the ferry line. As was mentioned, on the Coupeville end (if you come back that way) you want to be taking a right into the ferry terminal area (vs. coming from the direction that makes you take a left, because that is not allowed).

Not sure about the boat (because I don't have an installed system), but my tow rig has propane, and they simply have me shut it off at the tank and then give an orange tag to put on the dash. They will measure your length and height when you arrive.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Hi Boris,

Yes, I have taken SleepyC across on the ferry 4 times. (2 each way). Yes you will fit, and yes you should go that way unless you like to drive in bumper to bumper traffic, at 20 or 30, or 70+ for hours on end. It will save you time, headache and trouble, not to mention the toll fee when you go to cross the Tacoma Narrows bridge -- Embarassed Unless you are going the other way (Bellingham to PT)

The first CBGT I went to in Bellingham, because I was new, and not confident enough to run up the Strait, I trailered from home to Bellingham via Tacoma. Dan and Tanya did it with us, and I'm pretty sure they would not do that again either. It was about an 8 hour tow from Sequim. Just to keep it in boating perspective, Roger and Janet on Dreamer left Sequim 2 hours after we left home and were in B'ham about 2 hours ahead of us.

holy cow. I 100% understand your approach as I often do things the hard way the first time to get my feet wet (hoping to keep them dry! lol) but yeah that definitely is some perspective. I would not want to be stuck in the car for 8 hrs just to jump across the puget sound!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: