HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

question about western Erie Canal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corsaut

City/Region: NW Ohio
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: question about western Erie Canal Reply with quote

We are inexperienced boaters with a new 22ft CDory. We are planning to tow the boat from Ohio to someplace on the Erie Canal between Lake Erie and Seneca Lake to travel on the canal a bit. My two questions are: who is a good marina that would help us launch the boat (and not laugh because we cannot back the darn thing up ourselves) and allow us to store the car and trailer safely. Second question, do we need to make reservations ahead of time at specific marinas to spend the night?? Have already purchased the Canal Cruising guide from NY State Canal corp which has some info. any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated. K Corsaut
Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest finding a big parking lot ( early Sunday mornings are good ) and take your time and learn to back up your trailer.

BTY I live in Toledo.

Bill Kelleher

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is good info on the Erie Canal on the Halcyon Days link on C Brats front page. Also Trent/ Severn.
Welcome aboard and don't worry about manoeuvring the rig. It comes with practice
George
Ron Cowan

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Elk-Tenn
Photos: Elk-Tenn
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated, backing a trailer comes with practice. For a newbie, to keep from getting confused on which way to turn the wheel for the trailer to go a certain direction, use this trick, Place your right hand on the bottom of the steering wheel with your thumb pointed in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. then as you start turning the wheel just follow your thumb. ( for the back of trailer to go left, put your hand palm down and turn the wheel the direction your thumb is pointing, for the back of the trailer to go right, put your hand palm up and turn the wheel in the direction the thumb is pointed. Forget all the remembering and follow your thumb. RIGHT HAND ON BOTTOM OF STEERING WHEEL.
Ron

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the west end, I assume you mean near Tonawanda. Here's a Niagara County Launch Ramp site. Sponsored by NY State. Do a Google search for Tonawanda marinas, there's a bunch. Call then and see if anybody will sling launch your boat. Remember, their season is short and they need to make money (so they're gonna be helpful.)

Here's Our Journey on The Eire Canal. We went through on a 36' sailboat, so we had to find places to lower and raise our mast. Friendliest people we ever met. We had a great trip and yours will be super. It's one of Americas great trips.

We all screw-up, it's human nature. Life isn't about being perfect, it's about the art of recovery.

As far as backing a trailer, here's what I remind myself of when I screw up (after 60 years of doing it.) You're putting the boat and tow vehicle on a circle that goes where you want the back of the boat to go. So if it's turning too sharply, crank the wheel the other way to make the circle radius bigger. And if it's not going that way make the circle smaller. Think about it, the logic helps me figure out what I want to do when I've got everything tangled up.

Boris
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't specific to your request (I understand that you are looking to have someone else help/launch the boat, plus looking for Erie Canal info), but just in case it might prove useful, there was a thread last year that had a lot of good tips for launching/retrieving. They helped me when I was preparing to launch for the first time late last summer. Let me see if I can find a link...

Here it is:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=20224&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Congrats on your new boat!
Sunbeam
pat.jack

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-renity
Photos: C-renity
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Question on Erie Canal Reply with quote

K Corsaut,
Good to see your note. We have kept our 22' C-Dory on the Erie Canal the last 2 summers. We've had the boat at Allen's Marina, they have facilities for storing your trailer. We consider ourselves novice boaters also, we're currently taking a Piloting class thru US Power Squadrons to become more comfortable cruising with our boat. As far as the 'Western' Erie Canal, we live in the Rochester NY area, we're about half way between Buffalo and Seneca Lake. Bounce back on this message if you'd like. We'd love to hear back from you and give you whatever input you'd be interested in hearing. We plan to cruise the Canal this Summer, at least for a portion of the Summer. We plan to cruise from Rochester to the Finger Lakes (Seneca and Cayuga Lakes). If you are not familiar with the area (the Finger Lakes), you will be surprised at how beautiful it is. We'd be happy to assist in any way we can.
Regards,
Jack & Pat Howell
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We launched and stored our rig in Mid Lakes marina at Masdon,NY. Good people. Two c dorys in Marina of 30 boats. Would do it again.
Chuck

Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live in the area, and frequent the Erie Canal. We keep our boat at our cottage on L. Ontario (which we also frequent), near Barker, NY. The best launch in this area is Widewaters Marina in Lockport. Double ramp; free launch and parking; lots of berths and parking (unsecured).
corsaut

City/Region: NW Ohio
C-Dory Year: 2013
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: another question Reply with quote

On the Erie canal, do you need to find a marina to stop for the night or do you just tie up anywhere??K Corsaut
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: question about western Erie CanalMost towns have docks Reply with quote

Most towns have walls to tie up to with water, power, picnic tables and rest rooms. Some even have laundry facilities. Middleport, Spencerport, Fairport, Newark to name a few all have nice facilities some at no charge. Borrow a book on the Erie Canal or you can borrow mine. Send me a pm and I will UPS it to you. It's a great trip. Easy cruising. Nice people up in that neck of the woods.
D.D.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the guide we used when we went through the Eire Canal: Skipper Bob's Cruising the New York Canal System. At $13, it's cheap.

Also, here's navigational data, including a discussion of how to lock through: Eire Canal Navigation .

You haven't lived until you've spent a Saturday night along the Tonawanda wall, right next to the RR bridge. Saturday night live. The other towns are accommodating, nice, comfortable and friendly. Tonawanda is all that and entertainment. Also, whilst you're there visit the Herschell Carousel Museum. They have the fastest carrousel in the world. All the original carrousels were built in Tonawanda, as was Wurlitzler juke boxes.

If it's still in operation, the Eire Canal Museum is wonderful, at Rome.

Boris
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We launched (and stored our truck and trailer) at Seneca Lake State Park. They won't have anyone to help you launch, but as mentioned, some practice in a parking lot (work on it until you can put the boat between the lines of a parking space) will help you gain confidence.

Many of the towns along the canal have facilities where you can tie up to the wall... for a very reasonable fee or free. Same with the walls outside the locks. Each of the towns along the way has its own unique character. Take your time, enjoy the rich history, friendly people, and the canal-style of cruising.

The Erie Canal is a great place to... "get your feet wet" with cruising. Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: